Need help selecting a 5 channel amplifier

brk36

Need help selecting a 5 channel amplifier
« on: 31 May 2016, 04:41 pm »
I have selected and bought an upgraded Anthem AVM-30 for a Preamp, I am now trying to decide on what 5 channel amplifier would pair well with my preamp.

I would like something with balanced inputs but I will consider other options, I would also like to have a minimum of 200 wpc at 8 ohms but would prefer 250 or 300 wpc.

I would like something made after 2005, I am resigned to buying used because of my budget which is 850-1200 dollars.

Please help me as I have never before constructed a system of "separates." I have always just bought low end receivers like Sony, Pioneer, etc. Thanks in advance for the help

richidoo

Re: Need help selecting a 5 channel amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 06:42 pm »
Classe Sigma-Amp5 is a great sounding multichannel amp.

A recent thread here on AC suggests NuPrime MCH K-38 is worth checking out.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143285.0

These are both very recent class D designs.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 07:27 pm »
Classe Sigma 5 = $5000 MSRP

NuPrime MCH K-38 = $3000 MSRP

Both are relatively new, and even if they were to appear on the used market, it's pretty safe to say you wouldn't be able to pick either one up within the stated budget of $850 to $1200.

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 10:08 pm »
ATI might be one to consider. Older 1505 could be had for the money, but no balanced inputs. Balanced on some later models, but might be hard to find for the $$. ATI is also an OEM for other brands. Outlaw being one IIRC, I think there are others.

Why the 2005 requirement?

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2016, 12:23 am »
A 5 channel amp that is fully dual differential (balanced) for $850-$1200 is a tall order. If you just want XLR inputs, but don't care about balanced circuitry, your choices open up. Note, you gain nothing but connectivity options with an amp that has XLR inputs though isn't a balanced design. If the latter is the case, take a look at something like a Rotel RMB-1095. Emotiva and Outlaw likely have some options. The earlier ATI recommendation is a solid choice. Parasound comes to mind also.

LadyDog

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2016, 03:11 am »
Probably toward the upper end of budget, but Outlaw, Proceed, and certainly check out Sunfire.

brk36

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2016, 03:24 am »
I honestly don't know a ton about audio equipment, I was more looking for the XLR inputs than I was the balanced circuitry to be honest. I choose 2005 as a cut off year just because I wanted more modern equipment, I know there is a ton of value buys in vintage audio but to be honest I don't have the money to maintain that era of equipment. 

I have looked at ATIs and I have heard really good things about them, can anyone tell me about their acoustic qualities? I know they're built like a tank!

The Rotel RMB-1095 is new to me, can anyone tell me about their sound qualities? They do well in the reviews unless you pair them with really high end speakers, my system was custom built by someone who use to work for Rick Craig of Selah Audio Company so they're pretty high end.

I have been warned away from Outlaw by several people who described them as chainsaw amps, gritty tone but tons of power for the money? Is this inaccurate?

Parasound? What model were you thinking? I have seen the A-51 and 52 and I think they fall outside of my price point but maybe I am mistaken?

@LadyDog- Proceed and Sunfire are new to me, can you suggest a specific model?

Thanks again for all the help!

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2016, 03:51 am »
Why do you want XLR inputs? It'll kind of help us sort out recommendations if we understand this better. They don't offer any performance benefits over RCA connections, if not utilized in a fully balanced circuit and chain of fully balanced equipment.

As far as recommendations go that have been suggested so far, you'll need to take them and do your homework. If you narrow your choices down to your top 3 or 4, you'll likely get more thoughts and opinions.

brk36

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2016, 04:10 am »
Why do you want XLR inputs? It'll kind of help us sort out recommendations if we understand this better. They don't offer any performance benefits over RCA connections, if not utilized in a fully balanced circuit and chain of fully balanced equipment.

As far as recommendations go that have been suggested so far, you'll need to take them and do your homework. If you narrow your choices down to your top 3 or 4, you'll likely get more thoughts and opinions.

I have read you can custom make really high end XLR cables for really cheap, Migambi wire with Neutrik connectors, that is just something I read on the forum. I have not read anything about making unbalanced cables, so I figured with the XLR inputs I could save money on the connections.

EDIT: Ok, I have been reading for quite some time now and I think I have it down to my three top choices:

1) ATI 1505 (Conservatively rated at 150 WPC, most bench tests say 170 WPC) 5 Channels, all driven, unbalanced connections. Price:450-650 dollars

2) Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 (Rated at 200 WPC) 5 Channels, all driven, fully balanced system. Price: 550-700 dollars

3) Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 5 (Rated at 400 WPC) 5 Channels, all driven, fully balanced system, upgraded power supply. Price: 1,100-1,500 dollars

I know the Sunfire Signature is in a totally different class of amplifier, my question is, will the extra 200 WPC and upgrade power supply really make such a big difference that it makes sense for me to spend twice the money? If the answer is no, then which of the remaining two amplifiers would you suggest?

Thanks again!