Wishing to purchase Magnepan MG 3.7 loudspeakers

Will Lusher

Wishing to purchase Magnepan MG 3.7 loudspeakers
« on: 30 May 2016, 01:56 am »
Would prefer natural oak and white grills

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Wishing to purchase Magnepan MG 3.7 loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2016, 02:06 am »
Welcome Will Lusher :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2016, 02:28 am »
Welcome to AC!

Will Lusher

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2016, 04:10 am »
Am very much a newbie here who is very very green about this whole scene, am seriously behind the times with the technology involved so will take me awhile to get up to speed, but thanks for your welcome.

Will Lusher

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2016, 04:12 am »
Am need all the help can get in terms of what needs to be modded in a stock pair to improve the definition as much as my limited means can support.

brooklyn

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2016, 05:34 am »

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2016, 08:34 am »
Maggie's are renowned for their high definition. Are you sure you need to "mod" them? Someone correct me here, isn't the only thing that can even be modified the crossover? Just playing devil's advocate here; have you listened extensively to a pair? Maggie's also have a rep of sounding great but being demanding of power amps- their impedance is very linear but they are known for wanting plenty of current. Perhaps this (could have) affected what you (may have) heard; Just thinking out loud.

BTW, you might want to contact Magnepan directly; I believe they have a trade up program so you might catch a deal. Good luck with your quest and welcome to the sweet spot.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2016, 03:32 pm »
Being a Magnepan owner and having heard the 3.7's several times, I don't know why you would want to mod them.  The best thing to do would be to make sure all your electronics are up to snuff.  Because Maggies will let you know when your other gear and music are not on the same quality level.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2016, 04:44 pm »
What do you have/plan to buy to power them?  Music genre, room size?  I wouldn't mod anything till you've had them in your place for awhile, and the speakers might be the LAST things I'd mod.