A bit of a crisis of confidence.

felixscerri

A bit of a crisis of confidence.
« on: 23 May 2016, 08:41 am »
G'day all, it's been quite a while since I've posted here, and I hope all are going ok!  For a whole range of reasons I've felt a bit of a crisis of confidence of late regarding a lot of things and especially audio and records, and it seems that I've lost a lot of my general interest in this area to the point where I 'almost' don't really care anymore despite having accumulated lots of excellent phono stages in recent times, including top notch commercially made units, however nothing seems to 'hit the spot' for me anymore. 

Latterly of an evening I am finding that I just like listening to my local Classical Music station on the FM band on my Tivoli One Radio!  Even my passion for audio DIY has largely dissipated!  Having said that though, some of my best sounding phono stages have been DIY efforts!  Hopefully this just a passing phase.  Maybe this is just 'life'.  Has anyone else felt this way?  Regards, Felix.   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: A bit of a crisis of confidence.
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 11:36 am »
Yes Felix, I've often been through spells where audio, or some other hobby, takes a backseat to other interests.  It's natural to have things wax and wane in importance.  For me either a new piece of equipment or some new music generally brings me back.  I wouldn't stress on it, just let things take their course.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2016, 11:37 am »
G'day all, it's been quite a while since I've posted here, and I hope all are going ok!  For a whole range of reasons I've felt a bit of a crisis of confidence of late regarding a lot of things and especially audio and records, and it seems that I've lost a lot of my general interest in this area to the point where I 'almost' don't really care anymore despite having accumulated lots of excellent phono stages in recent times, including top notch commercially made units, however nothing seems to 'hit the spot' for me anymore. 

Latterly of an evening I am finding that I just like listening to my local Classical Music station on the FM band on my Tivoli One Radio!  Even my passion for audio DIY has largely dissipated!  Having said that though, some of my best sounding phono stages have been DIY efforts!  Hopefully this just a passing phase.  Maybe this is just 'life'.  Has anyone else felt this way?  Regards, Felix.   

Hi Felix,
I am a little like you.
Lately I have lost some of my interest in hi-fi music, sitting in front of my
excellent system - set-up is becoming more difficult.
I've discover that these days I prefer to listen to my Grace Mondo Internet Radio
for ambiant music, while I do things like surfing the web, writing to friends
or even just cleaning up my office.
What I like about advertising free (Or close to it) is 24 - 7 non stop music
of the type of music I prefer.
Is it because I cannot concentrate on critical listening anymore ?
Or maybe I am getting lazy getting up to change CD - LP ?
Or maybe, I find that only listening to music is a lost of time ?
Doing things and listening to music at the same time
is more good use of my (Precious) time
I have left to enjoy while I am still in relatively good health.
Like you, I have lots of audio stuff and most of it,
I don't use that much, even rarely,
that's a lot of money doing nothing and I don't like that.
I am now trying to figure out what I will keep and enjoy,
what I will sell (Probably at a lost) and even, what I will give away.
Not complaining, just sharing my ideas.
I hope my post is in line with your?

Guy 13

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2016, 01:55 pm »
When I found out I couldn't play music for money anymore because of severe carpel tunnel syndrome, I didn't listen to music for nearly three years. My system actually had cobwebs. I've since recovered, and have spent all the money I'd saved on music and equipment.

Doc

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2016, 11:06 pm »
  For a whole range of reasons I've felt a bit of a crisis of confidence of late regarding a lot of things and especially audio and records,.....

Seems like that is most important part. As you get through it, you'll probably find that you'll get back into audio. Just a matter of time.

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2016, 01:21 am »
I think we've all gone through that. Life's other stresses sometimes don't allow us to truly relax and enjoy our music in the manner we'd like to.

Myself, after a long business trip with a day long drive listening to Sirius radio, once I'm home and able to 'shift gears', pour a nice adult beverage, fire up my system, I usually restore a sense of calm ..........

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2016, 07:25 am »
Hi Felix,

I think this happens more widely in life than just with hifi. I have a very nice car option to drive recreationally and there are sometimes quite long periods where I just don't feel like bothering to get it out of the garage.  Same, same my books, movies and music video dvds, garage workshop etc. etc.  So there are times when I go to head into my stereo area but just stop and think, no I don't actually want to play something right now!  :duh: But guess what, one of my other enjoyment options is now likely be positively appealing so I'll do that instead!  And yes, sometimes the period that an option is out of favour can be quite long indeed. :scratch:

Regardless, as twitch says below, there is always a time when once again listening to the stereo becomes the perfect solution and I'm always grateful for having assembled my system. Perhaps your worrying too much about how it sounds in a perfectionist sense - the stress of hitting 'the spot' as you say.  Enjoy the Tivoli for a while and see if you can work out why such sessions are more enjoyable at the moment and see if you can transfer that source of satisfaction to your hifi.  In any case, I'm sure you'll come back to the hifi after a bit but if not, move on. :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2016, 11:43 am »
Sometimes a simpler, less fatiguing perhaps system suits our need to get back to the essence of the music versus precise imaging, microscopic detail, or stunning dynamics.  A friend has a $50k system that is the antithesis of trying to reproduce typical gobs of "audiophile effects".

My early adult mega system downscaled with family responsibilities.  Depression and loss of local shops led me to start over with an entry level system, but the internet opened the doors to all kinds of audio options and interests.  Often we just need a sabbatical.

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2016, 12:21 pm »
Make sure you don't have depression. It can be very subtle, removing the joy of life without feeling tangible unhappiness. Get 8 hours of sleep, eat well, get your minerals in, like salt and magnesium.

If you are happy and full of energy and still don't care about hifi but still ove your music then your just growing out of it or testing whether it is still of value to you. There have been many, many people who have been superstar mega posters on AudioCircle who either fade away or just disappear never to be seen again. They just get tired of it and move on. It's normal. People grow and change over time. Audio hobby is very demanding in many ways, it's not hard to burn out. I took a few years off from the pointy end 2010-2014, just puttered around with DIY cheap projects. The hobby changed a lot for me, but the music was always there. Music still works even on a single driver car radio. For most of us that's where this all started anyway.

Don't worry about it. If you're done with audio there'll be something else to take it's place. If you're not done your desire will return when you're ready.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2016, 02:22 pm »
For a whole range of reasons I've felt a bit of a crisis of confidence of late regarding a lot of things and especially audio...  to the point where I 'almost' don't really care anymore....

Felix, I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like depression. If this state of mind doesn't change within the next thirty days, you might consider having a talk with your doctor. Some doctors are quick to proscribe pills, and those can actually make things even worse. If your doctor determines that you are depressed, ask him about "cognitive therapy". There's a book called "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns which will give you a head start. It will give you the tools you need to manage this situation.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2016, 03:16 pm »
Congratulations, you are normal. I boxed up all my albums 4 years ago for the big move and haven't missed them at all. I'll get shelves built and the records unboxed one of these years but no hurry, there is much more fun stuff to do. While remodeling my house I discovered 'Radio Lab' while listening to a $5 thrift store radio and got just as much satisfaction and entertainment as when the big system was set up.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2016, 03:17 pm »
I think your post is a great one,  I have a response that may or may not be applicable to your situation.  I absolutely hope you do not take offense;  I say this as a fellow audio enthusiast.  I am also a mental health and substance abuse counselor, yes,  really.

It may be overall depression,  OR NOT.

But our hobby can often be very much like an addiction, and for some people, it becomes an addiction.  (This can be the case for any hobby I suppose).  The endless possibilities of cords,  amp typologies,  tube rolling,  phone cartridges and arms,  sources,  and types/sizes of speakers.  And DIY,  there is a whole other world of things.   'Audiophilia Nervosa'  can foster a lot of fidgeting with things - cords, knobs, tweaks, speaker placement etc. and of course DIY can be fun open but opens up endless messing around.  And in recent years,  headphones,  headphone cords,  amps,  and tweaks are now more popular than ever.

Some people continue to fuss with variations of equipment,  until their last breath, and are happy to do so.   If that makes them happy, then so be it.   Others get tired of the fussing,  give it up,  but then feel empty and leave the hobby.   Others get tired of the fussing,  and turn their attention to the music,  delve into that for years or even permanently - at which point "all there is left is the music"  which hopefully is why people are in the hobby in the first place.  It can be easy to lose sight of this with all the gear fussing available.

I think what changed things for me was my frustration with today's music, very generally speaking.   I didn't like a lot of it, so I decided to pursue classical, and more recently jazz.   Which led me to get an internet tuner, and start listening to way more music on internet stations and Pandora (but played through my main system, not computer).   Any empty feelings are now gone, and I'm happy to explore music, and pick up CD's new to me at thift stores,  household sales,  local used shops etc.    I keep a 'music journal' next to my tuner and write down composers/titles that are unfamiliar to me that I like.  I'm off the old hamster-wheel of Audiogon purchases & sales,  making more long-term purchases and focusing more on the music instead.  In a sense I have traded one "addiction" for another,  but my new focus on music is a lot more healthy,  cheaper, and aligned with what got me started in the first place.   

Maybe this is part of what you are experiencing,  maybe not.   It sounds like you're tired (or burned-out) from the fussing.   An opportunity for growth lies in front of you.   The fact that you're listening to classical on that little Tivoli is a good sign,  not a bad one!  :)

SteveRB

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2016, 04:44 pm »
My experience has been to actively pursue music and LPs as an interest. As i find my interest waining, I have given myself challenges. A couple years ago I decided to take the summer to learn as much about hip-hop as I could. I found books and movies to provide me with the history, and augmented that with recommendations of albums and tracks.

Also, I have a group of friends who actively post every time they put on an LP. We chat about the bands and music. That's been going on for years now and it is pretty rewarding.

take care, take time.

felixscerri

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2016, 09:56 am »
G'day all, well I've tentatively started listening to records on the system in here again, which is a good start I think.  I think a big part of the problem is that I tend to listen to the same records again and again and I think that some variation is probably in order! 

Another thing I've realised is that most of my phono stages do sound a little different.  One of my more recent acquisitions is the Rothwell Audio 'Simplex' phono stage which is a particularly nice sounding phono stage based entirely on discrete transistors. 

On a totally non electronic theme, I've started taking magnesium supplements which are helping calm me down nicely.  As I am an (insulin injecting) type 2 diabetic, I am reliably informed that magnesium deficiencies are common with such diabetics and just today I read that magnesium can assist with general hearing acuity as well, which is interesting.  Regards, Felix.   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2016, 11:31 am »
Lots of audiophiles roughly my age (turning 60 this year).  My guess it's because of all the great music we grew up with and that stereo (what we used to call audio) was one of a few techno-cool hobbies that existed back then (ham radio or DIY radios/TV's being the only other ones I can think of). 

Nowadays new musical releases just aren't as entertaining (spoken as a true old fart), we have the internet, and 500 TV channels.  Plus nearly all of us are addicted to stimulation.  Our dining rooms are empty, we eat in front of a TV.  Audio just doesn't stimulate like video or interactive computer stuff.  Boredom can be very depressing.

Being recently retired I have lots of time to listen, but my library hasn't grown.  Internet streaming is nice, but in the end just high end radio. 
Once/if MQA ever becomes accepted, I will subscribe to Tidal.  The idea of access to millions of high quality albums for $20/month really intrigues me.  A young audiophile friend has Tidal and what it can do for his listening habits is very impressive. 

undertow

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2016, 01:53 pm »
I can say this... Mostly in Rock, even Pop, the best musicians already were on the scene 15 to 20 years ago, and they are still the only ones making the best albums. Very, very few bands I would even take seriously that came out in the last decade. Much like the Kardashians it's generic entertainment, and it was dominating the TV so people think that is what is good in many cases, and yes I am a so called "Millennial" so I don't suffer the to old to get it syndrome. Crap is crap, quality is quality.

The only way unfortunately to stay engaged in this hobby is to listen to the best sounding stuff when you can... I found wasting my time trying to force good sound either out of terrible recordings, or terrible music in the first place will frustrate you faster than anything else when you already have so much time, and money invested in gear, setup, special pressings etc...

I tried to seriously get out about 10 years ago (I started this insanity, and built my first speakers at 14 by the way in high school), but something always drags me back in. Which is another issue if it's just not fun anymore, or feels like work to go listen, or you don't have a good spot to listen then it's all a waste of time.

By the way funny thing is a lot of stuff sounds great in my car! Poor man's surround sound, and I am forced to be sitting there anyway so why not!

I don't really get into the whole house, smart system, internet streaming non-sense. If I am going to have a concert in the house, I have a concert! Otherwise headphones, or the car are just fine for casual listening.

bummrush

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2016, 02:09 pm »
JLM hit on part of it for me.In 70's when i bought my first good system i just listened, there were no audio mags,no tv on,really just the music. And i hate to say it but possibly the music was subjectively better? When a record was made back in the day i feel it had to be good or it just wouldn't sell.Now as everyone knows anybody can make a recording.
So sometimes i think life just nowadays has to many distractions.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2016, 04:40 pm »
+1

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2016, 05:15 pm »
Welcome aboard.

'ner
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 11:10 pm by Wayner »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2016, 04:23 pm »
G'day all, well I've tentatively started listening to records on the system in here again, which is a good start I think.  I think a big part of the problem is that I tend to listen to the same records again and again and I think that some variation is probably in order! 

Another thing I've realised is that most of my phono stages do sound a little different.  One of my more recent acquisitions is the Rothwell Audio 'Simplex' phono stage which is a particularly nice sounding phono stage based entirely on discrete transistors. 

On a totally non electronic theme, I've started taking magnesium supplements which are helping calm me down nicely.  As I am an (insulin injecting) type 2 diabetic, I am reliably informed that magnesium deficiencies are common with such diabetics and just today I read that magnesium can assist with general hearing acuity as well, which is interesting.  Regards, Felix.   

Hi Felix,
I think you could use a few good blues records. 
Seriously, a musician friend talks about the need to reinvent yourself.   Maybe you could explore a slightly different approach with your listening habits.  Read some record reviews and/or try some different composers - stretch out.   It might renew your interest and enthusiasm.

Glad you're feeling better.
neo