XLR remote volume

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
XLR remote volume
« on: 19 May 2016, 10:28 am »
Looking for a XLR based, high quality, volume control with remote.  Basically a single input/output preamp.  Cheaper/smaller the better.

TIA

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: XLR remote volume
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2016, 10:38 am »
Budget?

Best,

Anand.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2016, 12:13 pm »
As you've probably seen, there's no shortage of passive balanced volume controls for use with powered monitors, but if you need IR remote control, the field is slim or expensive.

The cheapest I've seen is the Audiocubics B-Cube (but not really cheap @ ~ $400), but for some reason the "B" balanced version is no longer listed on the Audiocubics website and is now only found on eBay.

From there, Khozmo Acoustic out of Poland makes a very high-quality balanced stepped attenuator box ($379), but with remote control option ($200) and shipping ($55) brings the cost to $634.

You would think there would be more of these kinds of devices to choose from, but I guess it's considered more of a studio thing, where a wired remote is fine.

Steve

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2016, 12:18 pm »
Anand:

My overall DAC/preamp budget is $2000 USD.

What got me thinking about this is the abundance of DAC/preamps now on the market.  Being minimalistic and cheap I tried an Emotiva DC-1 but like my DSPeaker Dual Core better.  But most use a digital volume control and there's always the concern that any combination unit going to have a weak link, it this case either the DAC or the preamp.  I believe the worry over wink links to be greatly reduced in the better units (Benchmark for instance). 

And I'm a fan of Schiit's products and philosophy.  I'm intrigued by their R2R (Multi-Bit) technology.  Unfortunately they don't follow this DAC/preamp combo trend and their pre-amps are really sonically oriented to headphone use (and lack a remote control). 

So I guess the XLR, remote controlled single input/output preamp budget would have to be $700 or less if going with a Gungnir MB.

Steve:

I've had a passive preamp but it had lack of dynamics and treble.  Would using XLR cables cure that? 

srb

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2016, 12:39 pm »
I've had a passive preamp but it had lack of dynamics and treble.  Would using XLR cables cure that?

I doubt it, I imagine it's more of an impedance matching thing.  Something like the Khozmo or similar can be ordered in 10K/20K/50K/100K Ohm versions, but even if you figured out the optimum value it would more or less be chosen based on the input/output impedances of the existing DAC and amp and changing one of them could change the sound.

Since it came out, the Benchmark DAC-2 HGC had caught my attention.  I like the idea of the hybrid gain control, and if the source is digital, volume control might actually be better executed in the digital domain if it's implemented really well.

I assume your use of the DSPeaker is because you're using subwoofer and/or active crossover functions?

Steve

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2016, 01:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, guessing at future gear to get the impedance setting right is a real crap shoot.

Nope, to be a purist I run cables directly from my mono-blocks to my extended range drivers, so I lost the baffle step circuits.  So the DSPeaker Dual Core serves as DAC, preamp, and DSP (set for up to 250 Hz). 

My biggest concern with the DAC-2 HGC is that it's now 3 years ago and digital technology moves forward at such a fast pace.  That's one of the big pluses for the Schiit philosophy of staying upgradable. 

ricmon

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2016, 04:13 pm »
Hello JLM have you checked out the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE.  It's a passive pre with remote but no DAC.  I was thinking of getting one until I decided to go with the SST Ambrosia.

Ric

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2016, 04:39 pm »
There's also the Wyred 4 Sound mPre. It doesn't get as much attention as their other units, but as a preamp it's awesome. New is $1k, but I snagged one used for half that.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2016, 07:21 pm »
Triple down on the Wyred 4 Sound preamps! Both the STP-SE and mPre use the same analog volume control approach based on a programmable resistor array. The mPre is a real bargain in my mind and sounds fantastic. Remote volume/input selection, dual mono design, fully balanced input to output, discrete input/output buffers, RCA>XLR conversion. The fact that you get a DAC and headphone amp to boot is just gravy... though I would classify  these as merely good, not great. Not sure how much it would save, but would love to see a preamp-only version of this unit.

I also hope to someday pair my mPre with the Gungnir MB, but life has other priorities right now.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2016, 01:53 am »
Agreed krikor, the mPre (without the DAC and a bit cheaper) would fit my bill.  Don't currently use headphones, but a nice extra.

Have never cared for the cabinet look though.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2016, 02:18 am »
Have never cared for the cabinet look though.

I've always thought, based on specs, features, value and Made in USA, that Wyred could have easily doubled their sales if they weren't so rigid in sticking with what many consider to be one of the frumpiest looks in the industry.

Most people I've known who own them, like them for the aforementioned virtues, in spite of their looks.  Yet according to their webpage, they are "simply beautiful".  I don't know why the look bothers me so much, but it's kept me at a distance.

I understand wanting a unique differentiating look, but ......  Other manufacturers have periodically undergone a fresh new restyling while maintaining brand identity.  Go for it, Wyred!

You could build the best engineered car in the world, but if you wrap it in dowdy sheet metal, the true potential of its sales will never be realized.

Steve

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2016, 02:24 pm »
I agree with the comments about the Wyred look, though I would add they are surprisingly more substantial feeling and looking in reality that the images portray.

I've also thought the the name... Wyred 4 Sound... was just too gimmicky and probably keeps some from considering them (if I had not had experience with Rick Cullen and EJ Sarmento modding my PS Audio gear prior to forming Wyred, I may not have given them a go).

guest61169

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2016, 08:14 pm »
Not a remote but small enough to fit on a desk and cheap and looks fun to play with:

http://dbxpro.com/en/products/gorack

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2016, 08:29 pm »
Nice looking chassis cost $$$.
I really like the performance first approach of W4S. Though I no longer have my STP-SE, it was a phenomenal piece of equipment and I'm still fond of it. Same with the DAC 2SE I no longer own.
Agree, they'd likely sell more gear if it looked better. It is actually well built and sturdy. Pride of ownership would come into play with a better esthetic. Then again, their gear would cost more too. So....

kernelbob

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2016, 08:48 pm »
The Tortuga LDR1B-V2 is the perfect fit with one balanced input and two balanced outputs.  There are no switches anywhere in the signal path.  It's the only passive I've ever heard that has all of the bass power and punch that I had only previously heard from actives.  The top end is clean and extended.  Great midrange articulation and sense of instrumental timbre.  It also has wonderful staging both L/R and depth.

A key feature that I've come to appreciate is that you can set input impedance from the remote to any value between 2k and 200k, keeping any five settings in memory that you can configure and select from the remote on the fly.  This feature alone has proved to be very important in my system to get the most from the source.  The last I looked, the 1B lists for $1800 with a 10% discount available.  Specify the Neotech high purity copper wiring upgrade for an extra $50 or so.

I'm not kidding, this thing is a giant killer, besting several preamps priced in the five figures in comparisons that I've tried.

TJHUB

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2016, 09:00 pm »
The Tortuga LDR1B-V2 is the perfect fit with one balanced input and two balanced outputs.  There are no switches anywhere in the signal path.  It's the only passive I've ever heard that has all of the bass power and punch that I had only previously heard from actives.  The top end is clean and extended.  Great midrange articulation and sense of instrumental timbre.  It also has wonderful staging both L/R and depth.

A key feature that I've come to appreciate is that you can set input impedance from the remote to any value between 2k and 200k, keeping any five settings in memory that you can configure and select from the remote on the fly.  This feature alone has proved to be very important in my system to get the most from the source.  The last I looked, the 1B lists for $1800 with a 10% discount available.  Specify the Neotech high purity copper wiring upgrade for an extra $50 or so.

I'm not kidding, this thing is a giant killer, besting several preamps priced in the five figures in comparisons that I've tried.

I completely agree.  You just need to make sure your source is up to the task. 

kernelbob

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2016, 09:36 pm »
I completely agree.  You just need to make sure your source is up to the task.

Right and that's where the variable input impedance feature is so useful.  You can find the setting in your system where you can get the most out of the source.  I'm using one feeding a biamplified system with a pair of Kronzilla tube amps and a pair of Spectron monoblocks with 100k and 25k input impedance respectively and a Schiit Yggy DAC as the source.  I've got the LDR1B-V2 input impedance set at 128k.