The Fontaine Signature by Egglestonworks, any comments?

canvas

Hi,
Any one care to share his/her opinion on this speaker? I heard The Dianne (entry level) is quite good for its price. I am wondering if the fontaine signature is worth the premium (I am getting a used one actually). They will be driven by a DIY 100W power amp. My current speaker is a 2-way bookself, and I am looking for an upgrade.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: The Fontaine Signature by Egglestonworks, any comments?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2016, 11:16 am »
Seems like a good move at used prices for a smaller/medium sized room.  A quality 100 wpc amp should be fine.  Please report back your impressions.

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2016, 12:12 pm »
I have the original model Fontaines (rated -3dB @ 55Hz), which do not play as low these. According to the mfr.'s site, the Signature has "many improvements" over the originals. I drive mine with a pair of 45 Watt SET monoblocks from Audio Mirror and they sound fantastic, IMO. I do augment them with a pair of ACI Titan subs (12" powered drivers). Since these are so much "improved", I cannot say how they would sound vs. my originals. But, I'd bet they sound wonderful. Eggleston Works makes excellent speakers. I've had mine for many years and no other speaker (comparably priced) has dethroned them yet.

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2016, 01:13 pm »
I owned the original Fontaine, so, not sure if my observations have any relevance.

They had the Dynaudio Esoteric tweeters which were divine. With the right amp, the bass was very tight and fast. The midrange was not quite as "present" and maybe a little polite compared to what i have since moved to... which is very efficient w low watt tube amps. But now I don't have the extreme ends.. which is typical, as you can't have everything w/out spending big bucks.

I think these punch very good in their price range. I found that the originals loved big power... maybe the Sigs are more efficient?? I switched amps around a bit and ended up w a 600 watt Mac amps, which were a crazy good combo and  best bass i ever had. Lots of people liked the Class A Krell's w these as well... that is "back in the day."

If I had these, I would try to have a listen to a Class A Solid State. Maybe 100 watts or more. And pair it w a decent tube pre amp.

canvas

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2016, 02:17 pm »
Thank you for the inputs. I know I come to the right place. There is used Fontaine Signature listed for $4300 and is still negotiable. I think I will buy it!

audio.bill

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2016, 03:12 pm »
Just a minor point of correction, the Dynaudio tweeter that Eggleston uses in their top speakers is the Esotar.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2016, 08:15 pm »
the Dynaudio tweeter that Eggleston uses in their top speakers is the Esotar

... and man is it ever special. I am not sure exactly what makes these speakers so divine, but it must either be the wonderfully sublime sounding Esotar, or the two mids running full with no crossover, or the immense inertness of the cabinets. Likely all three of these attributes.