stanton st-150 for 78rpm v. others?

benw

stanton st-150 for 78rpm v. others?
« on: 4 Nov 2004, 03:05 am »
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has experience or opinion on Stanton ST-150 for playing 78rpm. This is the model with the S-shaped tonearm and is marketed as a serious rival to Technics SL1200 for djs but has 78rpm as well.

I’m actually trying to source a turntable for my employer. Requirement for an off-the –shelf player for bulk dubbing  of 78rpm discs.  1000s  of them, so will need to be durable but also of reasonably high fidelity. Hence a dj derived deck is attractive.

It must be new and ready to go. So no SP10s , Garrards, old Thorens and the like., or anything requiring plinth construction or DIY

Very cheap units and high-end belt drives would be out. I have eliminated current Thorens and Dual from the list. With a budget of $2000 or so there isn't much left!  

On an unlimited budget a Simon Yorke t/t would be ideal, or an SME, but realistically I have narrowed it down to 2:

1.   a modified Technics SL1200 from KABUSA, or indeed they can modify the board of a SL1200 we already have to play 78rpm..
2.   Stanton ST-150

The Stanton has all the features we require but I can’t find any reviews on it that don’t regurgitate the manufacturers spiel. The specs on paper don’t seem as good as the Technics in regards S/N and wow&flutter but the way they are presented may not be comparable.

I would be interested to hear any opinions on the Stanton deck or indeed if there are any other current 78rpm heavy duty models.

cheers.
Ben