What speaker amps are best for driving HE-6 headphones?

Stablemate

So far I've heard an Odyssey Stratos and FirstWatt F3 clone with the HE-6, and both were okay. I can't help but imagine there are some amazing amps out there for these notoriously hard to drive headphones. What say you?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: What speaker amps are best for driving HE-6 headphones?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2016, 04:01 pm »
As a certified HE-6 nut, even I will say that the need for crazy speaker amps is a bit exaggerated. That said, the Bryston 2B is my favourite for a reasonable cost and compact size. In the kilobucks range, the Krell Evo series or Benchmark AHB2.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2016, 06:18 pm »
I don't know if you are even considering going this direction, but in terms of solid state, the HiFiMan EF-6
was specifically designed to do just that.  If you like tubes, the DecWare Taboo III does a good job with
planars...and has enough output for all but those pursuing imminent deafness  8)
Hibuck...

Armaegis

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2016, 06:39 pm »
For a nice all-in-one solution, I've also been using a NuPrime IDA-8 which has a built-in dac and remote.

You can find pro audio amps for cheap on the used market, but many have fans which aren't so great for headphone listening. I probably favour the Yamaha amps in this realm.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2016, 12:31 am »
Don't know what your budget is, but one of the Burson Audio Soloist models might be right up your alley if the $600~$1K price isn't out of the question (they make several versions, all of which have high power output). http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/soloist/

Any of them should be able to make your HE-6's wail like a hound dog under a full moon.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 02:00 am by dB Cooper »

Armaegis

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2016, 04:24 am »
A couple years ago I heard the HE-6 with one of the Burson products (can't remember which one... was there a model before before the Conductor?). I wasn't terribly impressed and was happier with the $100 Topping amp that was next to it.

Armaegis

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2016, 03:21 pm »
There's a new Burson Lycan that has an open case, it's ~$250 to $300, and it's made for easy swapping of opamps, so you can choose a preferred sound.

For the HE-6? I have my strong doubts that would be enough...

Armaegis

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2016, 05:23 pm »
Interpolating from the specs, it eeks out 1.2W into a 50ohm load.

I have no personal experience with the Lycan, but do have extensive experience with the HE-6 on many amps (both headamp and speaker amp alike). While I would be happy to be proven wrong, based on my experiences I highly doubt the Lycan would be a good amp for the HE-6. It might get loud, but will likely sound choked. I would still recommend a Topping at half the price, and get an adapter made to run off the speaker taps.

Armaegis

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2016, 06:39 pm »
Do you actually own an HE-6 Dale? I love specs and numbers as much as the next guy, but they do not tell the whole story.

All my recommendations here so far are based entirely on personal experiences or from close friends of mine with whom I have shared reference points.

Armaegis

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2016, 10:07 pm »
Dale, please ditch the numbers and trust the guy who actually has an HE-6 sitting in front of him right this moment and has owned or tried more amps than the average head-crazed audiophile. I've built buffered chip amps that can put out a watt of power that would blow typical headphones but sound like crap with the HE-6. I've gone through many FiiO, iBasso, iFi, Schiit, Meier, etc amps, many of which in the same power range as this Lycan that you're trying to justify, and they all did not sound good with the HE-6. I've tried the overhyped Emotiva Mini-X which has more than enough power as a speaker amp, and it was an incredibly underwhelming experience. There's so much more than just the numbers.

Stablemate asked specifically for speaker amp suggestions to drive the HE-6, and has already stated two examples he's heard that are in the kilobuck range. I have been making suggestions that keep in that line.

I like the sound with the Yamaha professional series amps, though some of them have fans to contend with. The larger Brystons sound good, but I personally think the 2B sounds better than the 3B and 4B in this application. I thought a NAD D3020 was actually quite nice as a compact all-in-one solution. Sonically the NAD C390DD was a bit better but not worth the huge price and size difference over the D3020. The Schiit Ragnarok is a fine amp, but personally I'd still pick the Bryston 2B.

I have a couple friends who have gone through much of the same gear I have; we have similar though not exactly matching tastes, and we have a very good understanding of what each other hears and likes. I trust their judgement when they say that the Krell Evo series and Benchmark AHB2 are good amps for the HE-6 and would confidently echo their sentiments (despite thinking the Krells are overkill), even though I myself don't have personal experience with those products

Armaegis

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2016, 05:36 am »
You're drawing a strawman argument against me. I said nothing about amp testing or reporting, nor did I deride (or even suggest as such) those who do in the slightest.

What I have done is actually answer the original question posted by Stablemate, and have presented a very substantive set of personal experiences and opinions relating to speaker amp pairings with the HE-6.

dpump

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2016, 12:23 pm »
One thing that may help explain why there are varying results when using the HE6 off of an amps speaker taps-you are connecting a much higher impedance load to an amp than it was designed to drive. Speakers vary from basically 4-8 ohms as a rule. You are connecting headphones that are 30+ ohms to the speaker taps. Some amps will tolerate this better than others. Some amps may have higher distortion or even oscillate. Years ago there was a test of a Chinese tube amp on 6Moons that actually went into oscillation trying to drive the HE6. I had the same amp at the time and also experienced the oscillation.

Armaegis

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2016, 04:09 pm »
Thought I'd mention a couple expensive headamp options:
Violectric V281: much better than the previous generation from Violectric and sounds way better, but I do not feel it's worth the price tag unless you really need the small form factor
Moon 430HA: possibly the best headamp I've ever heard with the HE-6; I want it but can't afford it