Allman Bros. Fillmore East 1970

Mag

Allman Bros. Fillmore East 1970
« on: 7 May 2016, 05:57 pm »
I have lots of good rock, but 'Whipping Post' has got to be ranked #1 for the most awesome rock guitar playing. Followed by 'In Memory of Elisabeth Reed', 'Strasborough Blues' and 'Mountain Jam.'

We lost Duane Allman much too soon.  :bawl:

jimdgoulding

Re: Allman Bros. Fillmore East 1970
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2016, 06:44 pm »
 Oh hell yes.  Way more interesting and involving than most studio albums including their own.

bummrush

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2016, 11:24 pm »
I agree. Really something else.
In memory of Elizabeth Reed.Stunning.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2016, 11:32 pm »
An inspired performance on all fronts. A lot of good live stuff came out of the Fillmore, Humble Pie's is another one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2016, 11:51 pm »
I have this SACD, very good SQ and music:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6494

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2016, 12:34 am »
Hey Now,

1971 wasn't it?

--
Finest kind,
Chris

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2016, 01:12 am »
I assume the 1970 title in this topic is a typo.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2016, 08:55 am »
I have lots of good rock, but 'Whipping Post' has got to be ranked #1 for the most awesome rock guitar playing. Followed by 'In Memory of Elisabeth Reed', 'Strasborough Blues' and 'Mountain Jam.'

We lost Duane Allman much too soon.  :bawl:

A major classic concert(s) and a landmark live recording. There is a alternate remastered release of the same material: "The Fillmore Concerts", which subtly reduces the somewhat over-emphasized guitars' prominence in the mix, and also includes the live material from Eat a Peach, as well as an alternate take of 'Elizabeth Reed' (IIRC they felt that the different sections of 'Reed' were better at different sets and had trouble deciding which to include originally.) In this version they used modern digital technology to 'splice' the two performances, which I have mixed feelings about, as technically it's not 'live' in the sense that it's not what the audience actually heard. That's the only song they altered in that way though.

For obsessive 'completists', there is also a six-CD set 'The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings', which includes all four concerts (two shows/two nights) in their entirety, which I have not heard. I'm not that obsessive and suspect they probably chose which versions to release for pretty good reasons.

'Fillmore East' monopolized my turntable for months back in the day. I even had the Nautilus half-speed-mastered version back in my vinyl-spinning days. Some of my friends from back then would probably still have to leave the room when they hear the opening riffs from 'You Don't Love Me'....  :lol:

PMAT

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2016, 12:47 pm »
The Allman Brothers 2nd set album is great live stuff as well.

blutto

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2016, 02:13 pm »
....this may be common knowledge but I'll throw this out just in case its not.....there was also a Fillmore West recording that is a nice in a compare/contrast way....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfXeenXRGig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDi-qrOJTo

Cheers

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2016, 02:14 pm »
For obsessive 'completists', there is also a six-CD set 'The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings', which includes all four concerts (two shows/two nights) in their entirety, which I have not heard. I'm not that obsessive and suspect they probably chose which versions to release for pretty good reasons.

Hey Now,

Yeah, I am one of the obsessive Allman Brothers fans and got the complete FE 1971 recordings set.  :thumb: It is rumored that Tom Dowd did not want any horns on the original release, hence the selections. It is fun to listen to all the shows in order of performance.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

brother love

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2016, 04:48 pm »
Oh hell yes.  Way more interesting and involving than most studio albums including their own.

Agreed. I liked Eat a Peach & Idlewild South but when I want to listen to the Allman Brothers, I always choose Live at the Fillmore East.

My other all time favorite live albums are: The Who Live at Leeds & Jimi Hendrix- Band of Gypsys.

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2016, 05:33 pm »
I wish you younger guys could have seen the band live before Duane and Berry passed.

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2016, 08:49 am »
There is also this: http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-fillmore-concerts-mw0000088412

Which is the same performance as the original double album, but with slightly different editing and mixing. Some think it superior.

The 6 disc set is interesting if you love the album. Some of the alternative versions are at least as amazing as some of the previously released ones, one or two are probably even better, but were probably not included due to length.

sfraser

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2016, 02:34 pm »
I read a great story by photographer who took the Fillmore album cover shots. In particular he was  referring about the shot where they are all laughing standing in front of the equipment cases etc. Apparently he did not have a chance to get any shots at the concerts, so he had the crew place the equipment outside a studio in the parking lot. He was trying to get the bands attention during the shot  so he told them he took or hid all there drugs and would not  give them back etc. . Little did he know that when he was telling them this, the bands coke dealer was pulling up in car in  the parking lot behind him. Hence the laughter.

Blue Sky, off of Eat a Peach is my favorite song of all time. It has the rhythm, the electric and acoustic guitars and  2 solo's, in my opinion the perfect rock song.