Fisher 400 receiver and the 7868 tube

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Fisher 400 receiver and the 7868 tube
« on: 5 May 2016, 11:54 pm »
In a moment of weakness I took on another project- picked up a Fisher 400 receiver. Basically, it was cheap, full of Telefunken tubes, and I thought what the heck...  But the 7868 power tubes are a variation I'm not familiar with.  Is this something that is worth spending time/money on?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Fisher 400 receiver and the 7868 tube
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2016, 12:50 am »
That moment of weakness sounds like a good thing to me.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2016, 02:17 am »

Well, it's all there plus the walnut case for $100.  My friend with a record store had taken it in so long ago, he had forgotten that it was hidden deep in the stacks of his back room.  I saw it about a month ago and commented that it was probably worth restoring.  I picked it up today. Lots of dust and cigarette smoke, but it's cleaning up nicely.  I'll test the tubes later this weekend, and if they are ok, I'll put it on a Variac and see if it will come to life. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2016, 05:53 am »
Beautiful amp, they knew how to made a tube amp in the old days.
I dont know the strong points from the 7868 but its a 9 pin Pentode, plate dissipation is low 19W (EL34 is 40W).
It may have a sweet sound in Triode, the low price is a positive thing.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2016, 07:23 am by FullRangeMan »

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2016, 09:32 pm »
Thanks, Gustavo, for the info about the 7868. Every little bit helps when trying to decide how much money to put into vintage equipment. 
Has anyone actually heard an amp that uses this tube?  Or even any hearsay?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2016, 09:58 pm »
It was used in the Conn and Wurlitzer analog organs also Ampeg amps, so I suppose it has good sound from a musician point of view.

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2016, 06:19 pm »
I've decided to go ahead and do this old receiver right and restore it.  There are several guys offering kits for around $80.  Picked up a kit with sonicaps, orange drops, panny golds, misc resistors, silicon bridge, diodes, current limiter, schematics, Fisher repair manual, trouble shooting guide, and great color photos of before and after with parts circled and numbered. 
Nice restorations kit for those of us that know just enough to get into trouble. 
As I go, I'll take pics and post.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2016, 06:27 pm »
Nice and take care from the DC tension.