How to Avoid Window10

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
How to Avoid Window10
« on: 4 May 2016, 07:00 pm »
I not a Einstein in PCs so Iam lost how to avoid W10,
Please post here procedures to avoid undesired W10 installation.
Others members may be in same situation.
Thanks

P.S.: I have just phoned MS Support and they dont atend W10 questions and a recording order to go MS/support site.(((

andy_c

Re: How to Avoid Window10
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2016, 07:16 pm »
Just download and run the "Never 10" utility from Gibson Research here (green button at lower right).

That's it!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2016, 07:21 pm »
My main PC is Windows 7 Pro and I get the notifications about upgrading a few times a week and I just close it out without doing an install.  The PC is probably more than 5 years old and I figure by the time Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7, I'll be long overdue for another PC.  The PC I have has sufficient RAM to do what I need to do easily.

I have two Windows based (PC) music servers.  One started out as Windows 8 (which I upgraded to 8.1) and the other as Windows 8.1.  I've upgraded them to Windows 10 with no real significant issues (had to re-install JRiver on both).  I basically use only 2 programs on each of the them (JRiver and have started to use Room EQ Wizard) so I didn't see any downside to the upgrade.  I have many more programs on my Windows 7 machine and don't want to get into fixing a lot of things when I'll likely start looking at upgrades in a year or so to that PC.

I still have a Windows XP machine (which has 3G of RAM and is plenty fast enough) but since the OS is not supported, I only connect it to the web to update printer software a couple of times a year). I do have discs to upgrade to Vista (I also have an old Vista laptop which sees almost no use) but don't really see the point.

So I'd just close-out any pop-ups you get.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2016, 07:23 pm »
Just download and run the "Never 10" utility from Gibson Research here (green button at lower right).

That's it!

That's a good thing to do if you're running 7, 8 or 8.1 and want to get rid of it totally - https://www.grc.com/never10/details.htm

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2016, 07:24 pm »
Nice thanks, it work fine for you?

andy_c

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2016, 09:05 pm »
Nice thanks, it work fine for you?

I edited the registry using regedit to do the same thing that "Never 10" does.  It's from a Microsoft app note.  Here's the info from the Never 10 documentation.
Never10 manipulates the values and security permission settings of the following two registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
    Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableGwx” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
    These will be referred to as the “Gwx” key and the “DisableGwx” value. This key and value control the display of the “Get Windows 10” offer icon in the system tray. When DisableGwx is set to 1, the upgrade offer icon is suppressed.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    Under this key, the 32-bit DWORD value “DisableOSUpgrade” is set to 1 or completely deleted.
    These will be referred to as the “WindowsUpdate” key and the “DisableOSUpgrade” value. This key and value control the downloading and installation of any upgrades to Windows. When DisableOSUpgrade is set to 1, any previously downloaded Windows 10 files are deleted and Windows will never attempt to upgrade the current operating system.

In other words, I did manually what Never 10 does behind the scenes, and yes, it does work.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2016, 12:02 am »
I edited the registry using regedit to do the same thing that "Never 10" does.  It's from a Microsoft app note.  Here's the info from the Never 10 documentation.
In other words, I did manually what Never 10 does behind the scenes, and yes, it does work.
Interesting, thanks for inform.