Anyone care to comment about Feniks Essence on kickstarter?

Ultralight

I know that a couple of pro reviewers raved about it at the $3K or so range whcih seemed high.  But now on kickstarter it is under $1400 and seem to promise very high resolution and speed.  Interesting - except for the lack of a remote volume control, seem to be a very ambitious piece for smaller spaces.

There's a 'thread' on there where they claim 106db max (not peak which is 112db) which is amazing for something that small and only 50 watts.  But 6Moons' review was quite a rave.  Certainly interesting.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right

JohnR

Sorta pricy for a desktop system but it's fairly unique... Studio monitors designed for nearfield often have EQ settings to tailor for that type of placement, which this doesn't seem to have. So I wonder why exactly it is "the only high-end speaker system designed from the ground up specifically for computers"

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I like the concepts of tensioned cabinet, small size, and concentric drivers (especially for near-field listening).  But don't like/need built-in DAC (with all the new technologies emerging, even if designed by Gordon Rankin), not an active design like so many professional studio monitors (superior to this powered design), no specifications (targeting hi-end lifestylers not audiophiles), they are aimed very low, appear to be designed specifically for desktop only use, and of course are quite pricey even at the kickstarter price.

But as a for instance, the Equator D5 is roughly the same size, with concentric drivers, is in production from an experienced team, is an active design, are factory matched via DSP, and cost $400/pair. 

And just spent a week with JBL LSR305s ($300/pair small active 2-ways) that really caught my attention for small/affordable system.  Add a Meridan Explorer DAC and Tidal (as reported) for access to MQA as a killer cheap system that works desktop or small rooms.