One Speed (Rugged)

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
One Speed (Rugged)
« on: 2 May 2016, 07:17 pm »
Hi, there are so many bikes out there I'd like to ask you guys for some help.
    I need to get an affordable 1 speed like a city bike. I have a Walmart Fixe that cost a little over a 100 bucks but it suffers from cheap Chinese metal which I think is called white aluminum. I can't crank down on it or attack a hill without the fear of ruining it. Mountain bike style is ok too.
    I'm football lineman size but am a life long bike rider with the Schwinn Typhoon as my best that I recall. I had a stripped down beach bike with that Typhoon universal frame a couple years ago but but the frame broke off on the back.............not American made anymore.
    I know with a 1 speed fixed gear there are some hills that might have to be walked but I heard thats pretty good for you too. I'm not going for the urban courier just something I can work on myself and be dependable.....thanks Mark Korda

Odal3

Re: One Speed (Rugged)
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2016, 08:15 pm »
Bikes are like audio gear - there are a lot of good ones for cheap if one know what to look for but there are also some really expensive ones. What's your budget?

Will you be using it for excersise or?

If you live in a hilly area I definitely recommend some gears. If you maintain them regularly they should last a long time.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2016, 10:31 pm »
I'm the opposite. I don't see the value in gears. I prefer to go out of the saddle on a hill and get it over with... But I've been known to go out of the saddle for a few miles before. I don't look like a bike rider but I have been most of my adult life, not even owning a car (until last few years). And it's been almost exclusively on fixed gears.

The problem with being a big guy (200lb+) is that regular bottom brackets don't work for you. Every nerd at a bicycle shop will tell you the base model Shimano UN-53 is fine with some aftermarket cheap cranks for fixed gear. They're WRONG. I can get a UN-53 to start binding on the first ride.

Other big problem? No one sells the really high end track parts on a bike to start with. Frankly the frame isn't going to matter a lot for you or anything except when it comes to comfort and riding style. It's the bottom bracket, pedals, and rear wheel that you need to have be good. That and correct chain.

What do I use?

Crankset: Sugino 75

Bottombracket: Sugino Superlap (It did come loose once, that sucked, maybe have incurred a pit or two)

Chain: Izumi Eco

Hub: DuraAce 36 spoke high flange, track

Cog: Phil Wood

Spokes: Double butted DT in 2x pattern

Rim: Deep V, beat up nicely

My frame is the Italian made EAI BareKnuckle (there's a Japan version too). I only ride straight forks on fixies - and never Surly crap. They absorb more of the road.

How to choose what you need:

Bottom Bracket Style: First you can copy me and go with a Sugino 75, doesn't have to be a superlap. But if you go this route you must chase and face the frame (this has to be done at a good bike shop). If you don't it'll come loose too often. The alternative for a big guy is to go with an external bearing bottom bracket style. While the Sugino if cleaned and lubed probably once a year is fine, will last potentially forever. But the EBBs fail MUCH sooner. They're cheap however. So why use one at all? They're cheap and WHEN they fail you can still ride without binding. When they've gone bad you can ride around on it for another year before it gets wobbly. It just feels like extra shitty resistance the whole time, with maybe a tiny wiggle. Do Not Be Fooled By Phil Wood High Prices And Promises, They're Shit. I had one go bad nearly as fast as a UN-53. I spent a bunch of money on it, more than a Sugino. What a waste. They wouldn't even warranty it, and pretended like it was lost in the mail. Don't like the company except their COGs are nice.

Crankset: Obviously the Sugino 75 is a top pick. But there's a few others out there that fit on Sugino's and Hatta's bottom brackets. I'm bringing up the Hatta now because it isn't compatible with all cranksets so you have to do homework for that. It's as good as Sugino probably. The EBB style is a little complicated because they're a bit harder to find, and you can always buy a mountain bike one that is SS but you'll need to replace the chain ring if you go fixed (instead of Single Speed, SS) because they don't seem to ship perfectly round chain rings with those. They work but you'll have varying tension. I use one on a winter bike that's a fixie converted from a downhill bike (no rear suspicion).

Chain: Izumi Eco is the only chain to use on a fixie/SS.... Why? Because it has bushing for one. They aren't suppose to be valuable, but they are. The Izumi responds to stress much better. You can't stretch it out in an intense ride like you can with a fixie and regular chains. They stay good for a year, or at the very least 6 months, where as it's more like monthly for the standard Shram or KMC (garbage). Plus they're cheap, like $18-22.

Rear Wheel Secrets: Ok, this is very important if you don't like replacing spokes a lot... Ignore every monkey head boner that weighs 115lb soaking wet that works at every bike shop USA. Under no circumstances, and I mean ever, go with a high flange hub, deep rim, 36 spoke, and 3x cross. You'll break spokes way too often. The problem here is the angle is much too steep where the spoke leaves the rim to go to the hub. If you had a regular rim, or maybe low flange hub, you'd might be ok; with both low flange hub and not-deep rim you'd be fine 36 spoke and 3x cross. So what do you do instead? If you want deep rim and high flange hub (style) go 32 spoke with 3x cross, or 36 spoke with 2x cross. They'll tell you a bunch of stupid lies about how 3x and 36 spoke is stronger but it's BS. If you pay someone to make you a wheel (probably the best choice) tell them what you want and ignore their advice otherwise. Also tell them you'll pay extra if they'll put grease on the lip of the spoke nipple that rests on the rim, each time they put one in. Long term this helps a lot and the grease seems to say put well enough. Oil only lasts about as long as truing the wheel. I've built many wheels, some that have never even needed tru'd after years and years.

Rear Hub: I don't really care. You get what you pay for in a sense. Every sealed hub uses basically the same bearings. Cup and cone need re-lubed once in awhile but run very smooth. I've never had a problem with bad weather and cup and cone. The cheap hubs don't seem to fail anymore than expensive too-lightweight ones do; probably less.

Frame/Bike: Don't buy anything like one of these. Notice how it barely costs more than my rear wheel... I can shred a bike like that to pieces. Those are for little weak monkeys who like to waste money, not gorillas. I do not recommend Surly, they're poor material that can bend too easily. Plus the forks are worse than a jackhammer, literally, I know because I unfortunately own one as there is no other fork that will fit one of my bikes. Do not consider any frame that won't allow you to use 700x25 tires, at your size 700x23 will just be a good way to have constantly flat tires. Also put Mr. Tuffy tire liner in, ALWAYS use it. Right now Ben's Cycle has some awesome sales on EAI Bare Knuckle frames. PLEASE check with us about frame size, we need to know your inseam, height, and any unusual arm length information.

IF you're only interested in SS, or willing to swap crankset and BB for fixie, then this as an entire bike is a pretty sweet ride for a low budget.

Pedals: I'm a little out of date on them. But in general the metal cages are trash. Either go with double strap Japanese/Italian laminated leather or some new fangled velcro style that doesn't need the clip/cage. The old leather ones, no matter how much you spend, risk wearing through the metal clips that hold them, I have Toshi's where one of the metal pieces is worn to a knife edge. I haven't ever been able to spend enough money to stop a peddle from losing it's end cap or some other annoyance... But super cheap ones do fail fast. I think mine are MKS Custom's, slightly wider, really expensive, haven't failed but lost dust caps... The MKS Urban looks ideal so long as it doesn't fail quickly. The extra tab for flipping the peddle over your toes is a bad-ass design; I'd like to try it to know for sure.

Gorilla Saddle: I can't recommend this saddle enough because the rails don't break (had that happen numerous times), it's not padded much so it won't hurt you really bad, and the shape is just wide enough for sit bones and not in the way. BTW that's about half price right now, at that website.

Odal3

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2016, 05:44 am »
Folsom - nice set-up !!  :thumb:
Single speed is fun too and each have pros and cons. I have some friends that even ride cyclocross on singlespeed, but you got to be super strong to pull that off. I still recommend gears for hilly roads, especially for someone who only rides occasionally since it will save the knees and it's no fun having to walk the hills.

Definitely agree that some of the low-end track/hipster bikes are kind of fragile but they are probably only designed for riding a few blocks on a flat street in a city. BTW: If you break a lot of your gear, you should look into some of the strong and robust cyclocross equipment that can take a lot of beating. There are  nowadays also many cyclocross/commuter/gravel hybrids with beefed up frames and bottom brackets.

Not a big fan of pedals with cages since it doesn't allow movement. I use clipless for training rides that allows some rotational movement and a nice pair of flat pedals for everything else.

Mark - you see what happens when you ask questions on an audio site :-) Don't worry, and before we overwhelm you, just let us know what you will use it for (training, commuting, riding around in the city, cruising in the park, on smooth roads or mixed with gravel roads, etc.) and budget and I'm sure we can help recommend a few options. There are many places on online where you can find complete bikes too (with decent to very good parts depending on the $), but you should definitely go to a bike store or friend with bikes to figure out which size you need first. Getting the style of bike and size right is the most important to be able to enjoy it!

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2016, 06:04 am »
I hate the cages too, clips, whatever, as I was trying to say.

You know the track BB's are meant for people that have thighs literally the size of your waist Odal3!

Clipless is nice for long rides. I love the lollipops. They have so much freedom, don't break down, and are easy to get use too. SPD's are trash you can pull out of with almost no effort... Time makes the best MTB/urban messenger style.

We'll get him sorted out :lol:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2016, 05:48 pm »
Hi Odal and Fulsom, what great answers! Thanks. Folsum, you should pack your wrist in ice before you have to wear one of those bowling hand braces for carpal tunnel syndrome. Thanks for that effort, very greatly appreciated, you too Odal.
     I'd go up to 300 bucks or more if I knew what Folsom does. No foot cages for me. Sometimes with my bat like hearing I can tell when it's time to just get off the road. Theres no bike lane and you hear a 18 wheeler coming up behind your ass, thats no time for cages for me.I get out of Dodge quick!
    My buddy Pete says I destroy cranks because of the strength of my legs, just like you guys were saying. I'm not Haystack Calhoun from Morgans Corner Arkansas but am more like guard John Hannah of the old Patriots: all legs with smaller upper body comparison.
   When I first bought the Walmart Fixe a carpenter bike rider freind turned the handle bars around with one hand in the gooseneck while fully tightened down. El cheapo!
    I do build bikes from parts people leave out on get rid of your junk day, but probably won't find a strong frame that way. Thats why I'm on the search...also the inspection sticker on my car expired and I need to get around.....thanks guys, and always open to new ideas...Mark Korda

Odal3

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2016, 03:26 am »
Folsom is probably a better resource for one-speeds, but I will look around a bit. $300 is a tight budget for a bike so looking for used or clearance is your best bet.

The big brand bikes (that also sell good race bikes) are perhaps not always the best, but you normally get a lot for your money (especially the frames are good since they trickly down some of the tech from their high end bikes). Another advantage is that it's easier to find one used. Building up a bike from scratch quickly gets expensive if you don't already have the components. I rode a Specialized Langster when I temporarily lived in Berlin for a bit. They come in both high end race models as well as a much cheaper street version, which you can sometimes find for $400-$500 used. Strong high quality aluminum frame with carbon fork. The components on the low-end models may not the best but my guess it's is probably good enough.

I really really recommend that you go to a proper bike store and ask for help to figure out the right frame size. Just remember that different brands measures their frames differently. Perhaps this can also be helpful: http://www.bikefit.com/s-13-road-bikes.aspx 

BTW: sheldon brown's old website is a good resource for a lot of bike related things: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html#bigsmall

Folsom - good one  :lol: You're right for the high-end ones, but for those you have to spend quite a bit for! I just find that a true track frame is great for silky smooth surfaces (and I'm fortunate to have a velodrome 20 min from home), but perhaps not the most comfortable ride on regular bumby roads with potholes, curbs and other obstacles, but that's just me :-)

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2016, 03:57 am »
Where do you live Mark? My suggestion on your budget is to check Craigslist. I'll do it for you if I know your inseam and height.

My recommendations would only get you a wheel for $300, once you include tire, tire liner, cog, etc. But if you built out an entire bicycle similar to mine you could do it for less than $2k. I'm not sure how far under, but under. Maybe closer to $1.5k, fixie so no extra parts and maybe some used like handlebars. To me that's very cheap for the quality. One way to do it that's not as high quality but you get more parts is to buy Nature Boy from All City, then upgrade crank and BB, add fixie cog, new chain, tire liner. But the bike starts at $999. The frame allows larger tires and fenders, as opposed to an EAI Bare Knuckle that does not.

I personally don't recommend investing a lot into something that isn't going to handle your beast body. You may have to try and be friendly on many bikes you can get in your budget. Used MTB with city tires might be best option.

John Hannah is barely a human....

Odal3, you must consider how many track frames are steel. Steel is usually very comfortable unless it's a Surly or very cheap. My frame is incredibly comfortable on the road. Many others are too, as I said a straight blade fork makes a big difference. But you're right there's tons of track frames that are not a measure of comfort. They look sweet enough people ride them anyway.