C&C USB to Coax or Toslink, No Windows Driver Needed

roscoeiii

Hi C&C folks,

I'd like to stream Tidal audio (CD quality) from my work computer to a DAC that requires a USB driver with Windows computers but also has a Coax and Toslink Input. Thing is, our IT is very restrictive about installing drivers, etc for anything not work-related. --> a no-go on my DAC's USB driver getting installed.  So I'm trying to find a good and cheap option to convert USB output to Coax or Toslink that does not require a Windows driver. I have a slight preference for Toslink optical out over coax digital out.

I'm not streaming hi-res material so 16/44 quality is fine for this device (sure 24/96 would be nice, but not necessary).

Any ideas? I've been out of the loop on this kind of thing.

CurtisIIX

Re: C&C USB to Coax or Toslink, No Windows Driver Needed
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2016, 07:47 pm »
I was looking for a USB to SPDIF device about a year back. I was hoping to get something cheaper by limiting my requirements to 24/96 which also has the benefits of not requiring drivers on Windows.

One recommendation would be the Peachtree Audio T1. The T1 is a plug-and-play device on all operating systems, no driver required.
It is discontinued, but it looks like AudioAdvisor has stock.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTT1

Odal3

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2016, 09:04 pm »
If you have unlimited data  for you phone or wifi,  check if you can use your phone as the source instead of the computer.

There are also cheaper dacs ( <$100) with lower resolution that don't need drivers in windows. Look for 96/24 and below.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2016, 03:22 am »
If you have unlimited data  for you phone or wifi,  check if you can use your phone as the source instead of the computer.

Yeah, unfortunately my phone (v10)  doesn't have a good enough USB  connection

Odal3

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2016, 04:50 am »
bummer

dwk

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2016, 04:10 pm »
If you can find a Behringer UCA202 it should do what you want - has both analog and optical outputs, and works driver-less.  I think it's been superseded by a new version, but they should still be available relatively cheaply.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2016, 09:55 pm »
I believe the FiiO e10k is driverless and offers RCA as well as coax output (and a headphone amp).

The Behringer unit is decent and is easy to find locally at a guitar/music shop. There's also the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II, a very long name for a very cheap device (about $25) that does optical output.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2016, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Odal3

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2016, 10:39 pm »
This hifimediy SABRE 9018 Dac for $69 doesn't need any drivers. I'm curious about this one as well as a small portable DAC but I have seen any reviews yet.

http://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC