Apple admits iPhone and iPad last only 3 Years

JohnR

Re: Apple admits iPhone and iPad last only 3 Years
« Reply #40 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:51 am »
People accept that 5-7 years for a computer product to run well is acceptable. Why is that?

Um... because that's how it is. For one thing, you cannot update hardware as easily as you can software. So in a few years, the software just outgrows the hardware. For another, technology changes. The Windows 3 PC being joked about doesn't have USB... as I recall, there used to be at least two types of connector to connect a keyboard and mouse to your PC, and you were SOL if you ended up with the wrong combination. In the Apple world, there was Appletalk and SCSI. Thankfully, all that has gone by the wayside...!!! Even Firewire and Thunderbolt are in the niche category - USB3 is good enough for almost anything.

I really don't think any computer manufacturer "plans" for computer hardware to become obsolete, in the sense that they are deliberately limiting the lifetime of their products. I just think it's smart to assume that it's going to happen anyway. The fact is that consumers (us) want the latest and greatest, and want to pay less for it. What we get is products targeted to those desires.

:)

JohnR

« Reply #41 on: 20 Apr 2016, 10:06 am »
I suppose I should add to this thread that my parents' iMac is still running fine for them, and it's nearly ten years old now. I did have to jump through some hoops to update it and it's limited to OS X 10.8. I wouldn't be bothered with it for my own use, but it works fine for their purposes. Time Machine works, internet, email, Skype, MS Office....

charmerci

« Reply #42 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:29 pm »
In the near future when the computing power of a huge mainframe supercomputer can be at the tip of your fingertip * - well, planned obsolescence works for me.

*This has already happened often.

RDavidson

« Reply #43 on: 20 Apr 2016, 11:14 pm »
Um... because that's how it is. For one thing, you cannot update hardware as easily as you can software. So in a few years, the software just outgrows the hardware. For another, technology changes. The Windows 3 PC being joked about doesn't have USB... as I recall, there used to be at least two types of connector to connect a keyboard and mouse to your PC, and you were SOL if you ended up with the wrong combination. In the Apple world, there was Appletalk and SCSI. Thankfully, all that has gone by the wayside...!!! Even Firewire and Thunderbolt are in the niche category - USB3 is good enough for almost anything.

I really don't think any computer manufacturer "plans" for computer hardware to become obsolete, in the sense that they are deliberately limiting the lifetime of their products. I just think it's smart to assume that it's going to happen anyway. The fact is that consumers (us) want the latest and greatest, and want to pay less for it. What we get is products targeted to those desires.

:)

Right. I completely understand, but you're missing the half I don't understand. Just because the software outpaces the hardware, why does the hardware have to go in the landfill even if it still "works." Why can't corporations do a better job on the back end? And actually you're wrong. Companies DO plan for obsolescence, that's part of the reason why we have this great cycle of new tech coming out all the time. This doesn't happen just because "that's the way it is." It is 100% planned. Maybe at one time (like 15 years ago) it wasn't. The thing I disagree with is that the hardware itself becomes junk. Can something more responsible be done with the metal, maybe the LCD screens, etc.....even if the parts are repurposed for something low tech, like a night light or something else mandane (use your imagination) but more useful than adding to the landfill?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2016, 01:21 am by RDavidson »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr 2016, 11:20 pm »
In my area, computers/electronics etc do not end up in the landfill. They get recycled. It's been that way here for many years.

RDavidson

« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:18 am »
Some places say they recycle, but they end up just gathering the stuff then shipping it to another country for the underprivileged to "sort" (ie burn) through to collect metal.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/burning-truth-behind-e-waste-dump-africa-180957597/

The only thing I don't understand in the article is that it says 85% of e-waste in Ghana is produced in Ghana. That's sort of twisting the truth a bit, I think. The e-waste (ie the stuff that developed countries don't want) originates from developed countries and is exported as waste. That the people in Ghana try to repurpose some of it, doesn't negate the fact that it's still waste. I'd like to see the countries producing the e-waste be more resourceful, that's all. After all, they have the best resources to do so....as the article alludes.

AllynW

« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:45 am »
I still have a Mac G5 Tower in my bedroom.  Got it used for around $600 and was my main computer for a bit.  It still works well (has a dual core processor.  I'd guess it is around 13-14 years old.

I have an Old Mac G-5 tower too, it's slow to boot up but it functions perfect after 13 or 14 years. The G-5 replaced an old Gateway that also still works fine with XP.

Phil A

« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2016, 02:50 am »
I have an Old Mac G-5 tower too, it's slow to boot up but it functions perfect after 13 or 14 years. The G-5 replaced an old Gateway that also still works fine with XP.

Mine - works fine - boots right up.  Bought it used.  The only thing that's slow is when it hits a site like ESPN where there's lots of imbedded videos.  My Dell XP also works fine (3GB of RAM) but since the OS is not supported, except to update a local back-up printer once a year, I don't have it connected to the internet.  I do have discs for Vista but they have been sitting there for a bit and I've contemplated Linux but the reality is that my main Windows 7 Pro PC is probably about 6 years old and even though it does everything well, I'll probably replace it in about 18 months and move it to the bedroom, put the XP machine away and move the Mac to a guest bedroom.

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 26 Apr 2016, 11:02 am »
Right. I completely understand, but you're missing the half I don't understand. Just because the software outpaces the hardware, why does the hardware have to go in the landfill even if it still "works." Why can't corporations do a better job on the back end?

Fair enough, and I don't have an answer. To answer the second question directly if somewhat vaguely, I guess it's related to specialization, profits, and legal requirements. To answer the first, is this is up to the consumer?

I recently took two electronic items to the "ewaste." One was a scanner, it was working perfectly. But it was just not worth anything. Sending it anywhere by post would have cost about $30. I could have jumped through hoops to get $5 on local classifieds/eBay. So I just took it to the designated place for items like that. There was nothing else I could do with it (other than keep it, but what would be the point of that, it was superseded by a multifunction wireless printer).

The second item was a printer. That was a reasonably expensive printer when new, an Epson photo printer. The head had clogged again, and I ran out of ink trying to unclog it. I decided not to spend a couple hundred trying to unclog it with no guarantee of success. I offered it for sale as a repairable item and got no bites. Again, what are you going to do with something like that?

So I don't know. The companies that sell us our food are not the same companies that pick up and process our garbage.

Edit: let me add just one thing. I will NEVER EVER BUY A !@#%^&@# EPSON PRINTER EVER AGAIN!!

(Yes I feel better now, thanks :-P )

RDavidson

« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2016, 12:56 am »

Guy 13

tube-vds

« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2016, 04:03 pm »
i stil use my iphone 4.  :lol:

RDavidson

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2016, 09:37 pm »
That's good. If it works well enough for your needs, why upgrade? I have a Samsung S5 I'll likely keep until I'm "forced" to upgrade (ie the phone gets buggy or can no longer run apps quickly/efficiently). :thumb: