of longevity. 

After reading the article headline again I would say that
the iPad and iPhone may not last long considering it doesn't have a
replaceable battery.  That could be said about any product that doesn't
have a replaceable battery.  Nuff said. 

Apple products are a boutique product that regarding laptops and
desktops have a record of outlasting PC desktops and laptops.  Sure you
will get some PC's or notebooks that last a long time, but overall Apple
computers and notebooks have a better history of lasting longer.

We have quite a few computers where I work that are still using Windows XP.  When you consider that mainstream support stopped 5 years, that's a while.

RDavidson

Re: Apple admits iPhone and iPad last only 3 Years
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2016, 12:57 am »
It's called "planned obsolescence." Look it up.
I don't really agree with it, but I understand its purpose with regard to the fast moving tech world. I just wish there was better planning for a product's end-of-life (ie recycling / repurposing). If a company implements planned obsolescence, I feel they have a responsibility regarding their product's end of life cycle vs essentially adding to the land fill. There has to be a smart way to repurpose a lot of the parts that still work as well as recycling the metals. Apple has yet to step up, which kind of ticks me off because they have the power to change the tech world.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:26 am »
I don't really agree with it, but I understand its purpose with regard to the fast moving tech world. I just wish there was better planning for a product's end-of-life (ie recycling / repurposing). If a company implements planned obsolescence, I feel they have a responsibility regarding their product's end of life cycle vs essentially adding to the land fill. There has to be a smart way to repurpose a lot of the parts that still work as well as recycling the metals. Apple has yet to step up, which kind of ticks me off because they have the power to change the tech world.
After six years my PC DELL slowly began to show poor contact on all USB/PS2 ports including keyboard and mouse, I could not even type.

After I have reset the PC clicks counter, all the doors cameback instantly to function perfectly as a miracle.

If this is not planned obsolescence I do not know what is obsolecence.
Usually this brand have 1 or 2 huge software to implement obsolecence, in my pc is Dell Data Protection, its impossible to remove this software.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:54 am »
I can't say I agree that computer makers (inc. Apple) are designing for "planned obsolescence." I've always figured that laptops have a life of 3 years, any more is a bonus. Desktops, maybe 5. Yeah I know someone will now trot out their Windows 3 PC from 1995 (?), but fundamentally these things have a limited lifespan. Partly because technology just moves on, and partly because battery-powered portable devices... just don't last that long.

Since Dell has been mentioned, the last Dell laptop I had needed two motherboard replacements in its three-year "lifespan." I would never pay my own money for a Dell. (YMMV...)

GentleBender

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2016, 02:34 pm »
I can't say I agree that computer makers (inc. Apple) are designing for "planned obsolescence." I've always figured that laptops have a life of 3 years, any more is a bonus. Desktops, maybe 5. Yeah I know someone will now trot out their Windows 3 PC from 1995 (?), but fundamentally these things have a limited lifespan. Partly because technology just moves on, and partly because battery-powered portable devices... just don't last that long.

Since Dell has been mentioned, the last Dell laptop I had needed two motherboard replacements in its three-year "lifespan." I would never pay my own money for a Dell. (YMMV...)

Wait! What's wrong with my 486 running Window 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups). Who would need more than a CPU running 66mhz and 4mb of RAM?  :roll:

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2016, 03:07 pm »
I had an ASUS laptop that ran for 7 years until the hard drive died. I would be still using it if the first generation SATA connectors in it could be interfaced with the latest generation of SATA hard drive.
 It had enough horse power to run a distro of Linux and Win 8.1.
Scotty

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:21 pm »
I can't say I agree that computer makers (inc. Apple) are designing for "planned obsolescence."

+1 ...obsolescence is simply a consequence of progress. The consumers appetite for taking advantage of whatever technology has to offer ensures continual innovation, which in turn ensures whatever is here today, will be gone tomorrow.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:35 pm »
After six years my PC DELL slowly began to show poor contact on all USB/PS2 ports including keyboard and mouse, I could not even type.

After I have reset the PC clicks counter, all the doors cameback instantly to function perfectly as a miracle.

If this is not planned obsolescence I do not know what is obsolecence.
Usually this brand have 1 or 2 huge software to implement obsolecence, in my pc is Dell Data Protection, its impossible to remove this software.
What is the "PC Clicks Counter"?

Never heard that term before.

JRace

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:35 pm »
I had an ASUS laptop that ran for 7 years until the hard drive died. I would be still using it if the first generation SATA connectors in it could be interfaced with the latest generation of SATA hard drive.
Are you sure of that?

Every Sata version is backwards compatible.

JRace

« Reply #29 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:38 pm »
Any real proof that this is actually happening in the PC/MAc world?

Making a device "unrepairable" (or really hard to repair like some apple products) is not the same thing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:41 pm »
Wait! What's wrong with my 486 running Window 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups). Who would need more than a CPU running 66mhz and 4mb of RAM?  :roll:
Nice, are you serious?

charmerci

« Reply #31 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:49 pm »

Wait - you have my old computer now?  :thumb:

Btw, my main use computer is still my 2011 Acer laptop. (I think Acer is really under-rated/promoted.)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:53 pm »

Making a device "unrepairable" (or really hard to repair like some apple products) is not the same thing.
See my post #22, I sure it happen in Dell, other brands I cant say.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 19 Apr 2016, 05:00 pm »
What is the "PC Clicks Counter"?

Never heard that term before.
Planned obsolescence in printers is based on numbers of printed pages.
This line of Dell PCs have a use controller in the USB/PS2 ports based on the usage of the mouse and keyboard.

JRace

« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2016, 08:13 pm »
Planned obsolescence in printers is based on numbers of printed pages.
This line of Dell PCs have a use controller in the USB/PS2 ports based on the usage of the mouse and keyboard.
yes in print cartridges they will no longer function after a certain amount of print jobs.
That is not "planned obsolescence" though. Planned obsolescence would be if the printer stopped working after a set amount of print jobs. Although this could be seen as just arguing semantics, but I understand what you mean.
There are manys to reset the chip or fool the printer.

Please show me proof that of this supposed "use controller" in Dell pcs.
I have seen Dell PCs that have been in daily use for over 10 years still working.

If this is true, how did you 'reset' the counter?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm »
Please show me proof that of this supposed "use controller" in Dell pcs.
I have seen Dell PCs that have been in daily use for over 10 years still working.
How show me proof? My word no good?
I dont know when Dell implemented this system, my PC are from 2009.
If this is true, how did you 'reset' the counter?
I will not say it for free, you dont have a defective PC.

*Scotty*

« Reply #36 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:39 pm »
A search on planned obsolesce and printers shows all sorts of disagreeable things being done by printer manufacturers to cost you money in ink purchases and simple problems with waste ink reservoirs that are full and designed to be unserviceable by the owner. No trap door allowing access for cleaning.
Scotty

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm »
A search on planned obsolesce and printers shows all sorts of disagreeable things being done printer manufacturers to cost you money in ink purchases and simple problems with waste ink reservoirs that are full and designed to be unserviceable by the owner. No trap door allowing access for cleaning.
Scotty
Usually its a chip that counts the printed pages, must reset the chip.

RDavidson

« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:42 am »

It's not that it's unrepairable, physically. It's that the software outpaces the hardware, where eventually the hardware simply cannot run the tasks of the updated software anymore. That's planned obsolescence in the Apple world.....plus the fact their products have no user serviceable parts. This ensures a timely end of product life cycle. People accept that 5-7 years for a computer product to run well is acceptable. Why is that? Why can't a product continue to be used indefinitely as long as it is well taken care of.......or supported in some way after end of life, via proper recycling or repurposing? I'm just not a fan of our huge throw-away society. I understand that progress relies on this system, but as such, I feel this needs to be balanced on the back end too.

JohnR

« Reply #39 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:43 am »

Hah! I seem to recall 33 MHz being the hot shit, and I was running OS/2 as well, at least for a while.