ELEKIT TU-8200 Amp kit

Canman

ELEKIT TU-8200 Amp kit
« on: 15 Apr 2016, 05:37 pm »
Not sure if a $700 tube amp kit is cheap but it sure is cheerful.  I think the performance for price is outstanding.

https://tubedepot.com/products/elekit-tu-8200-stereo-tube-amplifier-kit

This is a 6L6 amp that has a remarkably good headphone out that can drive my 83db planar headphones w/o breaking a sweat (not to suggest it would do the same w/ speakers of that sensitivity) .

I was also impressed w/ the wonderful midrange (reminds me of some vintage gear like EICO and Pilot but w/ greater dynamics and no noise at all) it brings to my open baffle speakers.  It's a tube rollers dream.  I am currently using Re-issue Mullard EL34s ($37) w/ great results. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: ELEKIT TU-8200 Amp kit
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2016, 05:50 pm »
It could be shoehorned into C and C, you'd want to suggest the components you'd marry it to that would come in under $1000 total.  It doesn't have to be something you own, you could suggest some cheap speakers and a used cdp to fit it into guidelines.  I wish I had even a remote concept of being able to assemble that kit, but diy with anything involving solder is not my forte.   :lol:

srb

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2016, 06:40 pm »
In regard to C&C systems and buying new components, my own experiences have taught me that I most often prefer $700 speakers and a $200 amp over a $700 amp and $200 speakers.  (I left $100 for a CDP and cables  ;) )

Speakers ..... "where the rubber meets the road".

YMMV

Steve

Canman

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2016, 07:37 pm »
Well -maybe not the best circle.  Re kit assembly - It was easy even for the color blind and nearsighted (w/ the help of a magnifying headpiece)  :D 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2016, 10:59 pm »
In regard to C&C systems and buying new components, my own experiences have taught me that I most often prefer $700 speakers and a $200 amp over a $700 amp and $200 speakers.  (I left $100 for a CDP and cables  ;) )

Speakers ..... "where the rubber meets the road".

YMMV

Steve

Oh you're right of course, I was just working with the numbers and the item presented.  We've always been lenient with the guidelines, and there's a $200 slush built in.  So Canman, might I guess that you might think it desirable to match the amp with some $400 cans?  Of course $400 speakers bought used could be fairly decent, but that could be a killer headphone system.

J Payton

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:43 am »
I built this kit a while back and it is astounding.

I upgraded the potentiometer to a TDK 2C-P and also added Mundorf Oil capacitors.

While maybe not C&C it is a great buy for the price. I have only used as a headphone amp so can't comment on how it sounds with speakers. I have ran it with Audeze LCD2 , Hifiman HE500, and Beyer T1 and pleased with sound with all these headphones.

The kit was a breeze to assemble maybe 2 hours total if you can solder. Instructions very easy to follow.

Here is a pic. Since this was taken I am now running PSvave and Mullards as my tubes.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:12 am »
Much better looking than the original plain boring stock unit.
I love the wood front and the black body.
Even the tubes look nicer than the original.
May I ask where you bought it ?

Guy 13

Shogun

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:55 am »
I love my Yaqin EL84 12w class A. IMHO, one of the best value and best kept secret in audio, cheap and cheerful! :thumb:

http://www.amazon.com/YAQIN-MC-84L-Vacuum-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B011BO60S4

J Payton

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2016, 10:43 am »
Much better looking than the original plain boring stock unit.
I love the wood front and the black body.
Even the tubes look nicer than the original.
May I ask where you bought it ?

Guy 13

I purchased from VK Music in Canada. Victor was very easy to work with as I had many questions on options.

I actually had the case powder coated myself and did the front woodworking myself.

JP

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2016, 10:49 am »
I purchased from VK Music in Canada. Victor was very easy to work with as I had many questions on options.

I actually had the case powder coated myself and did the front woodworking myself.

JP

Well..... Congratulation,
you did an excellent job.
Thanks for answering.

Guy 13

sebrof

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2016, 09:18 pm »

JP
I bought my TU879 from Victor. Great guy and service, I recommend if you buy that stuff to buy from him.