What comes next for me, after Senn. HD600?

rif

• Not a cowboy
What comes next for me, after Senn. HD600?
« on: 7 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm »
First off, I'm not too familiar with headphone offerings.   I like my hd600's, but am contemplating a change.  I listen to modern and classic rock, alternative, electronic.   I use a schiit magni 2 Uber for an amp.

I need to keep it under $400 retail, likely through Amazon since they seem to have good prices.

I remember hearing some good talk about the akg 701/702/712 and some beyerdynamic models had some worthy models too.

-david

FireGuy

Re: What comes next for me, after Senn. HD600?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2016, 01:18 pm »
Take a look at HIFIMAN.  Their HE400s.  If you are considering planar.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:03 pm »
Not sure you can better the HD600 for $400. I use the HD650s and stopped looking for better.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2016, 10:22 pm »
If you're contemplating AKG, grab the K612 instead of the 7## series. Better sonics and plays better with a wider variety of amps.

The Beyers I would pass except for maybe the DT880 (might as well get the 600 ohm version).

I would consider stepping up the amp game. A Valhalla2 if you're keeping with Schiit, or perhaps the Bottlehead Crack which is a particularly good pairing with the Senns (also the Beyers).

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2016, 10:35 pm »
Regardless what I said and posted sometime ago,
the HD650 are very good headphones.
I complain said many time that they were dark-vieilled
but now that I've been using them for some time,
they are different, might need a little getting use to.
They are also very, very comfortable to wear for long sit-in.
I use them with the Bottlehead Crack.

Guy 13

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:14 am »
Good stuff!  I hadn't really considered the Hd650 a real option since I thought it would be only a marginal improvement over the hd600's.   I also hadn't considered an amp uograde, but that's a cd good idea too.

So as of now my options are
1)  keep the hd600's and upgrade the amp
2) max the budget with new hd650's  ($500 - $100 amazon gift card offer)
3) used hd650's for around $340 @ amazon
4) used hd700's for around $360 @ amazon

I've never seen comments on the hd700s but the marketing says it's between Hd650 and hd600's

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:31 am »
The HD700 is an atrocity.

Personally I do not feel that the HD650 is a big enough step up from the HD600 to justify the expenditure if you already have one... although one could always sell off the HD600 and put that money towards the next amp too.

Or just do what us nutty types do and start collecting. You can buy a DT880/600 plus K612 for less than a new HD650. That will give you the (equivalent of the) old school top tier headphone trio.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2016, 03:29 am »
My 2 cents on some of the suggested models:

I'm a HD650 owner and agree with Armaegis that it may be dicey as to whether that's a cost effective upgrade from the 600's. The 650s reach into the deep bass better and the "veil", such as it is, can be lifted on recordings that need it with some judiciously applied EQ (a little goes a long way).

Never could learn to love the K701 AKGs but liked the 712 much better during an admittedly brief listen.

The Beyers are no-nonsense, old-school designs worth considering. They've stood the test of time.

There's a lot going in in the target price range. HE400i, Audeze "Sine", the aforementioned Beyer 880's, and others I am no doubt overlooking. But it's a sign of what a great design the HD6xx is that they can still "punch above their weight" in the headphone world, even after 12+ years (a phenomenally long time span for any tech product and even longer if you take the 600 as the starting point.)

Snoop around innerfidelty; Tyll Hertsens' reviews are informative, thorough, and fair.

One last thing: At last year's Capital Audiofest, I was present when Klaus of Odyssey Audio was putting forth his philosophy and I remember him saying "90% of what you hear is due to the speakers." I largely agree and believe it is valid for headphones too. If you are looking for a better (or just different) "signature", you'll get much more of a change with different cans as opposed to changing amps (possibly unless you go to something radically different like an OTL tube amp). Your Magni is likely just fine.

Good luck with your search and please report back.

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2016, 12:43 am »
Hey Rif,  Check out the Senn 650 w/upgraded cables that just popped up for sale in AC.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2016, 02:31 am »
Hey Rif,  Check out the Senn 650 w/upgraded cables that just popped up for sale in AC.

Thanks! I just snagged them. 

Not sure if I'll keep the aftermarket cable, if I can get enough for it plus the hd600's plus my current amp,  I can look into a new amp.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2016, 02:40 am »

Thanks for the tip Ern,

Anand.

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2016, 03:00 pm »
Hi,

Have you seen the mass drop for Fostex headphones?  Something to consider.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

Cheers Rod

Ern Dog

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2016, 03:21 pm »
Thanks! I just snagged them. 

Not sure if I'll keep the aftermarket cable, if I can get enough for it plus the hd600's plus my current amp,  I can look into a new amp.

Glad you got it!  Let me know your thoughts about going from the 600 to 650's.  I also have the 600, but feel pleased with them.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2016, 11:19 pm »
There is more of a difference than I expected between the hd600's and hd650's.   I definitely like the hd650's better.

I can't really describe the differences, other than the bass is clearer.  This analogy is stuck in my head, it's a HUGE exaggeration:

If the hd600's are clean, crisp bedsheets on a cool summer evening,  the hd650's are a warm duvet on a cold winters night.

In reality, theyre not that different, but I can't get the analogy out of my head.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2016, 11:52 pm »
Take a look at HIFIMAN.  Their HE400s.  If you are considering planar.
I second the planars of HifiMan or Audeze.
Look HP w/wide soundstage, avoid the ones w/small soundstage.
Currently HifiMan HE400S 22ohms/98dB are $299:
http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE400S-Full-Size-Magnetic-Headphone/dp/B00Y2EOI94/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1461022716&sr=1-1&keywords=he400
The HE400i 35ohms/93db are $399:
http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE400i-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1461022716&sr=1-2&keywords=he400
Take a time to read the HifiMan & Sennheisers(audezes planars are over your budget) review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:21 am »
Um, I think he bought something alre..... never mind.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:36 am »
Um, I think he bought something alre..... never mind.
With the Hifiman low prices there is no reason to buy dynamic HPs anymore.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:35 am »
With the Hifiman low prices there is no reason to buy dynamic HPs anymore.
C'mon man. There are plenty of good dynamic headphones, in and around the same price ranges. There's AKG K701, K712, Beyer DT880, Grado 225i/325i to name just a few.

I have heard most of the current HiFiMan lineup and whether they are better, worse, or roughly the same than comparably priced alternatives is a matter of taste/opinion- and remember, "Opinions are like a**ho*es- everybody has one and they all stink." I like the HiFMan headphones I have heard, which is most of the current models, but the mechanical design on some feels a little fragile to me and there have been rumblings of QC problems and sample-to-sample variations, so, like anything else, "you pays your money and you makes your choice." I have nothing against planars; I just don't see how you can make a blanket statement that dynamic cans are obsolete. I disagree- but that's just my opinion  :|

Side note- I continue to hope that Sennheiser decides that if Audeze and Hifiman can produce a set of planars for a lot less than the cost of a German luxury car, so can they.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:36 pm »
C'mon man. There are plenty of good dynamic headphones, in and around the same price ranges. There's AKG K701, K712, Beyer DT880, Grado 225i/325i to name just a few.

I have heard most of the current HiFiMan lineup and whether they are better, worse, or roughly the same than comparably priced alternatives is a matter of taste/opinion- and remember, "Opinions are like a**ho*es- everybody has one and they all stink." I like the HiFMan headphones I have heard, which is most of the current models, but the mechanical design on some feels a little fragile to me and there have been rumblings of QC problems and sample-to-sample variations, so, like anything else, "you pays your money and you makes your choice." I have nothing against planars; I just don't see how you can make a blanket statement that dynamic cans are obsolete. I disagree- but that's just my opinion  :|

Side note- I continue to hope that Sennheiser decides that if Audeze and Hifiman can produce a set of planars for a lot less than the cost of a German luxury car, so can they.
I think planars HPs are better than dynamics, I like the construction (solid metal), finish, price and the sound of HE400 line, I sure Sennheiser can do a good sound planar, but not at HifiMan prices, the prob with most Sennheiser HP are they are ugly and all plastic.

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:58 pm »
You think planars are better than dynamics. That's your opinion; fine. But that's all it is; an opinion, not necessarily a Fact. (In fact, I would say that the headphone I would rank as "the best I have ever heard" is a planar- the Stax SR-009 electrostatic.) My opinion, however, doesn't make it so. I only had an issue with the blanket assertion that "theres no reason to buy dynamics anymore".

Sennheiser is a much larger company than Audeze, with much deeper pockets, and in my opinion could easily compete against, say, the Audeze LCD series if they chose to.