Pre-Amp suggestions (low budget)

Firejedi

Pre-Amp suggestions (low budget)
« on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:36 am »
Hey everyone,

I decided to start a new thread to get some more eyes on my newest question.

First, my system:

Songs Faber Concertinos
Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (operating as a pre-amp)
Odyssey Khartago amp (on the way)  Currently using neighbors borrowed NAD 955T
Boring Sony DVD player

I also have a JBL subwoofer, and here is where the question comes.

It looks like I will need a true pre-amp in order to get the connection that I need to use the subwoofer.  The smaller size of the Concertinos almost requires a subwoofer to fill out the bottom end.  With minimal budget available, I am trying to solve this problem in the most wallet friendly way.

I do have another possibility.  Instead of spending money on the pre-amp, I may be able to purchase my neighbors Golden Ear Triton 7's.  That would allow me to operate without a subwoofer.  I can then sell the SF Concertinos and sub to offset some of the cost of the Tritons. (I actually have permission to buy the speakers. My wife likes them. :) )

If you have any suggestions on a pre-amp, or opinions on the Golden Ear's vs. The Sonus Fabers, let 'em fly.

Thanks

opnly bafld

Re: Pre-Amp suggestions (low budget)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:54 am »
You can use a sub with the Jolida.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:56 am »
Frank at AVA has an inexpensive preamp that's pretty nice, the 10T RB.  It's basic, but very well thought out.   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140919.0

Firejedi

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:08 am »
You can use a sub with the Jolida.

Would you care to elaborate? 

opnly bafld

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:13 am »
I was thinking your sub has rca only inputs, so use a Y connector - rca male to 2 rca female.
If it has speaker level inputs see below.
Either way is no different than most 2 ch preamps (including the AVA).
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2016, 11:02 am by opnly bafld »

gnostalgick

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2016, 04:25 am »
  Does your sub only have rca in?  Many subs can be connected with another run of speaker wire.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2016, 04:52 am »
I second the AVA preamp.  I own a couple of older AVA pieces, an Ultra Plus preamp and DAC.  Great customer service and built to last.  The new T-10 is a great buy for a tube preamp under $1k especially with a 30 day return policy.

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:56 am »
Firejedi,

What is your "low budget" range and what type tube or solid state? New or used?

You can also run some speaker wire as jumpers from your speakers binding posts to the speaker input on the sub plate amp.

Something like this:

Chris

Firejedi

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2016, 11:24 am »
My sub has High level in and out, Line level LFE IN , and Line level RCA L-R IN.  In my experience, I have hooked subs up by running speakers wire from the receiver  IN to the sub, and then OUT to the speakers, or using the LFE.  Thats the limit of my subwoofer connection knowledge.

My DAC only has the RCA L-R OUT.

I did see on the NAD website about using the Y connectors at the amp and running one to the speaker and one to the sub. (As suggested by opnly bafld)

I may pick up some cheap ones and try that.

opnly bafld

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2016, 11:42 am »
You can run 2 sets of speaker wires from your amp, 1 set to the speakers and 1 set to the sub.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:40 pm »
You can run 2 sets of speaker wires from your amp, 1 set to the speakers and 1 set to the sub.

Seconding this - I used to do this and it seems hacky, but it works totally fine. Certainly worth a try first, before spending $$ and changing your system.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2016, 04:01 am »
I can't think of two more different speakers than the Golden Ears and the Sonus Faber Concertinos. The latter is a warm midrange centric "pipe and slippers" experience, the former a boom-fizzer for the low power home theater receiver market. Have you spent much time listening to both?  I can't imagine both appealing to the same listener.

If you want something more Sonus Faber like that's more full range but still cheap, I suggest one of the PSB X models (eg the PSB 2XT model). Don't make the classic audiophile mistake many of us make of buying whatever gets the most marketing hype and is the best "deal".

A good preamp is important, but it would help us if you told us your budget and important features. New both NAD and Parasound make decent cheap preamps with good feature sets. If you want to buy used, then old Conrad Johnson preamps make excellent buys, of basic on the feature set, and will give you a bit of tube warmth and soundstage depth you might otherwise miss from an odyssey amp. One reason why odyssey has the reasonably priced candela tube preamps.

Ps please don't run your speakers from your subwoofersw crumby speaker level outputs and crossover. You're spending good money on the amp and have nice speakers. Give them high quality direct connections if you want to hear what your paying for!  If you want to use subs connect it via RCA line level outs from a preamp or as previously suggested run them from the speaker terminals on the amp.

Firejedi

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2016, 04:12 am »
I am not necessarily a finicky listener who has specific tastes in everything.  I just enjoy good sounding music.  I have heard the Tritons in my house and found them to sound very pleasant.  The Sonus Fabers I picked up on whim and I am enjoying them.  I'm still trying to find my way in this world.  I started with the amp, went on to the Jolida Tube DAC, and my wife likes the Tritons.  I'm not going to buy them just because she likes them.  Now that I know that she is not against buying speakers, I have to do some work and find out what is out there.

The reason I haven't given a budget number on the preamp is because there is no budget number.   It is not something that I was planning on buying.  It is something that I am considering.  I hooked up my sub today, so I may not even need one.  Up until now, I was giving it some thought and trying to get an idea of whats out there and what people like.

I.Greyhound Fan

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2016, 03:21 am »
If your not on a very tight budget, why not get the Candela preamp from Odyssey as well?  Sure he'd do a package deal if your getting the amp. You can certainly do worse for $1600, and you have the 30 day home trial / guarantee, so not much risk.

Alternatively the new Rogue Audio RP1 for $100 more is nice and has a few more features (included remote, phono stage, headphone amp, home theater bypass).

restrav

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2016, 04:18 am »
look up FeliksAudio expressivo. i hear a lot of good things. with the right set of tubes apparently they excel at preamp duties

Firejedi

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2016, 11:30 am »
I can't think of two more different speakers than the Golden Ears and the Sonus Faber Concertinos. The latter is a warm midrange centric "pipe and slippers" experience, the former a boom-fizzer for the low power home theater receiver market. Have you spent much time listening to both?  I can't imagine both appealing to the same listener.

If you want something more Sonus Faber like that's more full range but still cheap, I suggest one of the PSB X models (eg the PSB 2XT model). Don't make the classic audiophile mistake many of us make of buying whatever gets the most marketing hype and is the best "deal".

A good preamp is important, but it would help us if you told us your budget and important features. New both NAD and Parasound make decent cheap preamps with good feature sets. If you want to buy used, then old Conrad Johnson preamps make excellent buys, of basic on the feature set, and will give you a bit of tube warmth and soundstage depth you might otherwise miss from an odyssey amp. One reason why odyssey has the reasonably priced candela tube preamps.

Ps please don't run your speakers from your subwoofersw crumby speaker level outputs and crossover. You're spending good money on the amp and have nice speakers. Give them high quality direct connections if you want to hear what your paying for!  If you want to use subs connect it via RCA line level outs from a preamp or as previously suggested run them from the speaker terminals on the amp.

Well, I have to say that I have been auditioning the Tritons again (next my SF's) and I don't like them.  The last time I did this, I was running off my Integra receiver.  This time Ia have an amp hooked up and IMO the SF's (with a sub) are better.  The mid range of the Tritons seems a bit muffled. 

I listened to Selah Audio's new speakers on Saturday and liked them a lot.  Very clear highs and mids.  Decent bass for a monitor. The best way I can say it is that they can be turned up without sounding loud or fatiguing.  I'm giving them some serious consideration.

I'm trying to understand your subwoofer comments, but I am my knowledge is limiting my ability.  I currently have y adapters coming out of the DAC (my preamp) and running to the RED/White inputs on the sub.   I am not sure I understand how to connect it using the speaker terminals on the amp.  It is a powered subwoofer.

Thanks

Escott1377

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:51 pm »

Well, I have to say that I have been auditioning the Tritons again (next my SF's) and I don't like them.  The last time I did this, I was running off my Integra receiver.  This time Ia have an amp hooked up and IMO the SF's (with a sub) are better.  The mid range of the Tritons seems a bit muffled. 

I listened to Selah Audio's new speakers on Saturday and liked them a lot.  Very clear highs and mids.  Decent bass for a monitor. The best way I can say it is that they can be turned up without sounding loud or fatiguing.  I'm giving them some serious consideration.

I'm trying to understand your subwoofer comments, but I am my knowledge is limiting my ability.  I currently have y adapters coming out of the DAC (my preamp) and running to the RED/White inputs on the sub.   I am not sure I understand how to connect it using the speaker terminals on the amp.  It is a powered subwoofer.

Thanks

A set of bi wired speaker cables will allow this.  Powered sub will not matter, just set your output on the sub based on your requirement.  Canare star quad is an easy cable to bi wire if you want to DIY.