HELP, I need a pair of headphones.

TKonrad.NOLA

HELP, I need a pair of headphones.
« on: 6 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm »
Recently sold my speakers and I am waiting for a custom pair to me built, so I am doing without.  I would like a quality pair of headphones to use while I  wait but also to use while I travel.  I was looking at the HifiMan 400i and really want them, but open backs might not be the best for air travel.  I also thought about the Oppo PM-3 or do I need noise canceling for air travel?  Thanks in advance.

FireGuy

Re: HELP, I need a pair of headphones.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2016, 12:47 am »
I have the HE400s and absolutely love them.  I understand the 400i is an upgrade to that.  You can't go wrong with either model.  Personally I would not go with open back for traveling... maybe in the airport but not on the plane and other closed in areas... I would recommend a quality IEM.  There is a plethora of options and price ranges.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:45 am »
I agree that the 400i's should not be used for portable phones.  In addition to the open back issue is that you really need an amp.  They're pretty easy to drive and can be used with iPods and phones, but they really open up with one of those portable amp/dac models.  Highly recommended as home use headphones, one of my favorites that's often in rotation.

Maybe one of those top line Audio Technica phones, ATH 70 or ATH MSR7, rugged, durable good sound.  For a little more money maybe the AQ Nighthawk.  If you really want planer, but need a closed back for travel, Audeze and Mr. Speakers both have some in their lower price offerings. 

For myself I have phones for home and iem's for travel.  Been thinking about one of the above for travel, but nowhere as convenient as the in ear models.  Good luck with whatever you choose

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:00 am »
I'm with FireGuy. A good set of in-ear monitors will give you unbeatable noise isolation and easy portability. As you mention in your OP, forget anything 'open' for air travel. Etymotic and Shure seem to have all-around the best isolation performance with the exception of one Bose model that combines both passive isolation and active noise cancelling (but gives up SQ to do it). If it doesn't bust the budget, custom molded ear tips for the Etymotics and Shures improve isolation even more but they ain't cheap and, to be honest, I seem to get roughly the same isolation and comfort from Comply memory foam tips- they just have to be cleaned regularly (I use a Handi-Wipe or similar) and replaced periodically. But you can buy years' worth for what customs cost.

How much you are looking to sink into these? The better Shures (like the 535) easily best the Ety's in terms of bass drive and overall detail and may be the best choice for at-home serious listening. The Etymotic hf2/3/5 (choice depends if you want smartphone controls in the cable) cost less than half the 535's but, while musical, are not nearly as detailed. But these things have a habit of getting lost sometimes and a lost pair of Ety's would be easier to shrug off.

Good luck with your hunt.

bbslo

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2016, 05:03 am »
I agree- for travel I'd go for the IEMs. But if you decide you do want full size, I have a pair of NAD HP50 in perfect condition with all original box and accessories for $150. Not noise cancelling, but good noise isolation and folding for travel.