Need Advice: Denon DA300USB, Micromega myDAC, or something schiity

wushuliu

If you can go $350, this one is the best sounding one under 1K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iFi-Audio-Micro-iDAC-High-Definition-USB-DAC-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier-/291199685548?hash=item43ccda93ac:g:OhIAAOSw7NNT0j81

+1. I have the IDAC2 and it is *excellent*. Surprisingly, I think it's considered a teeny bit better and cheaper than the Micro, but IDAC2 is desktop only while the Micro is portable...

deepgroove

yes it has a remote where the volume control stays in the digital domain

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
here is a solution for a DAC which can suit your needs

Fostex HP-A4
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-HP-A4-Optical-headphone-amplifier/dp/B00G97FG5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462661340&sr=8-2&keywords=fostex+hpa4

while it is a headphone amplifier DAC, it does plug into the wall can be used non-stop

i have one as my secondary DAC and it works just fine.

restrav

here is a solution for a DAC which can suit your needs

Fostex HP-A4
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-HP-A4-Optical-headphone-amplifier/dp/B00G97FG5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462661340&sr=8-2&keywords=fostex+hpa4

while it is a headphone amplifier DAC, it does plug into the wall can be used non-stop

i have one as my secondary DAC and it works just fine.

Actually i ended up spending quite a bit more (thats why i didnt pursure this topic, it doesnt fit the C&C criteria anymore) and I ended up with this and honestly it feels like a huge waste of time. compared with the mydac at best I hear no differecne (through the optical input). actually through the USB input sounds surprisingly less dynamic than the mydac. im quite disappointed. Im waiting to test it with my new KT88 amp and of the results are the same I will send it back.

I.Greyhound Fan

Give the DAC at least 50 hrs of break in time.  Things may improve.  One thing that I have found is that many lower priced DAC's sound similar in some respects and that all the higher end DAC's that I have heard sound remarkably different in my system (PS audio DSD, Hugo Chord, Bryston, Luxman DA-06, Exogal Comet, Cary 200ts, Marantz NA-11s1, Auralic Vega and the Wyred 4S DSDse with the Femto clock).

Another thing to consider is that different usb cables sound different with different DAC's and systems.  We did a usb shoot out at my house and it was an eye opener to say the least.

restrav

Give the DAC at least 50 hrs of break in time.  Things may improve.  One thing that I have found is that many lower priced DAC's sound similar in some respects and that all the higher end DAC's that I have heard sound remarkably different in my system (PS audio DSD, Hugo Chord, Bryston, Luxman DA-06, Exogal Comet, Cary 200ts, Marantz NA-11s1, Auralic Vega and the Wyred 4S DSDse with the Femto clock).

Another thing to consider is that different usb cables sound different with different DAC's and systems.  We did a usb shoot out at my house and it was an eye opener to say the least.

I bought it second hand im sure it has hundreds of hours on it. the  USB cable is LHLABS LightSpeed

I.Greyhound Fan

I bought it second hand im sure it has hundreds of hours on it. the  USB cable is LHLABS LightSpeed

In our usb shoot out.  We used a LightSpeed, WW Starlight Platinum, Red cables and a pangea silver. The Light speed was way to bright and irritating, the Red was warm and rolled off a little, the Pangea was the worst, lifeless and bright.  The Platinum was the best.  It was the most transparent and neutral with just a touch of warmth.  However, in my friends system who has the same Magnepan 1.6 speakers the Lightspeed sounded better than the WW Platinum. (he owns a Hugo chord DAC and I own a luxman DA-06).

Interestingly, when  we used an Uptone Regen, it made almost all the cables sound similar except for the Pangea which still sucked.  There were still some minute differences with the Regen but it was surprising how it made all the cables sound better and similar.

dburna

I think I found your problem.  Do you see those chips marked 'ESS'???     :lol:

-dB

P.S. Seriously, it takes a good deal of hard work and attention to detail to make the ESS chip sound good.  It can be done, but IMO it's a lot of effort that could be spent elsewhere if a different chip was used.  Heard some good/VG ESS DACs (e.g. Auralic) but not one yet that I loved.  I'm largely agnostic, preferring to listen primarily to the end results first/foremost, but those NOS/R2R supporters do have a strong argument when you just listen to the results. But what do I know? -- I'm just a crotchety (not-quite) old man.

Actually i ended up spending quite a bit more (thats why i didnt pursure this topic, it doesnt fit the C&C criteria anymore) and I ended up with this and honestly it feels like a huge waste of time. compared with the mydac at best I hear no differecne (through the optical input). actually through the USB input sounds surprisingly less dynamic than the mydac. im quite disappointed. Im waiting to test it with my new KT88 amp and of the results are the same I will send it back.

wushuliu

Micromega MyDac ($250) + Singxer F-1 Usb/spdif converter ($160-180). Or frankly the F-1 with whatever DAC you choose that has a coax input.

restrav

I think I found your problem.  Do you see those chips marked 'ESS'???     :lol:

-dB

P.S. Seriously, it takes a good deal of hard work and attention to detail to make the ESS chip sound good.  It can be done, but IMO it's a lot of effort that could be spent elsewhere if a different chip was used.  Heard some good/VG ESS DACs (e.g. Auralic) but not one yet that I loved.  I'm largely agnostic, preferring to listen primarily to the end results first/foremost, but those NOS/R2R supporters do have a strong argument when you just listen to the results. But what do I know? -- I'm just a crotchety (not-quite) old man.

hahah i guess you are right, my experience with LHLABS PULSE was horrendous and now this. if i send this back i will go straight for an R2R for sure.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
Re: the Gustard X20 am eager to compare it to my exaSound e22 which ticked all the boxes for me and it AUTO SWITCHES voltages, and I was traveling more than a fair bit, that was/is a HUGE PLUS for me.

Am going to be comparing the e22 to the Gustard X20 out of curiosity and the Supreme IDA-8 for my secondary system.

srb

opinion about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131764951885?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Unknown generic eBay Chinese components are always a crapshoot, but it might be a good price for a "HI-END DIGITAL AUDIO COMPRESS" ?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
It's always a top selling point for me when I can get something in a well assembled case thats ready to use and not have to solder anymore!

restrav

"HI-END DIGITAL AUDIO COMPRESS"  :duh:  :scratch: :icon_lol:

That's Mandarin for "dope dac" lol

wushuliu

opinion about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131764951885?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Odds are you will have to do mods to bring out the best in that dac, as is typical of most cheap ebay/taobao Chinese gear. DACs are probably the most difficult component to do well, especially at a budget. If you want something really good for under 400 you are pretty much looking at Ifi, Micromega, and Schiit. Wild card direct from China would be Audio-GD. They make solid gear but not sure if they have anything for under 400 shipped anymore. Or you can see if you can get something used in the For Sale forum.

IMO DACs using different chips are easy to distinguish from each other regardless of price, so if you can't tell the difference between a dac that uses an AK vs. Burr-Brown vs. ESS then get whatever fits your budget.

restrav

I have tried 4 different ESS DACs LHLABS Pulse Xfi balanced with femto clock
LKS dual mono balanced with separate power supplies for digital and analog sections
and peach audio idac
and another one i dont remeber

didnt like any of them ultimately. so maybe i should try another chip. hence this choice

wushuliu

I have tried 4 different ESS DACs LHLABS Pulse Xfi balanced with femto clock
LKS dual mono balanced with separate power supplies for digital and analog sections
and peach audio idac
and another one i dont remeber

didnt like any of them ultimately. so maybe i should try another chip. hence this choice

What didn't you like about what you've heard? What do you feel is missing?

restrav

my problem is the the tonality is not right in my system.
my reference would be a listening session some years ago with audionote japan electronics and Harbeth 40.1 and dCS CD player. its not that i expect that sound in my budget system with no acoustic treatment and imperfect placement. I dont expect the same sound but i want to get the tone right.

it sounds too digital. too dull. im specially not happy with how high frequcies are rendered. i want to get the same sense of space and openness and resolution without these shrill highs that surprisingly are more pronounced and therefor annoying with hi rez music. like my 96khz flaming lips CD is unlistenable though all these DACs in my system.