Need Advice: Denon DA300USB, Micromega myDAC, or something schiity

restrav

the rega DAC that i was counting on didnt materialize
I need to choose between the three or something in the same price range. does someone have expereince with these? i dont want a comparison between specs .... just by sonic virtues ..... which one is the better sounding one?

there is also a MSB link DAC III for 250 bucks on ebay but its obviously like 10 years old at least and no usb (its not a deal breaker but its nice to have). again just by sonic virtues which one would you go with?

restrav

nada? has anyone heard MSB link III?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Micromega is a fun crisp dac. Rega dac is crap - stay away. Can't speak to others as I haven't heard them.

If you can do $600 I'd seriously consider a Chord Mojo - amazing amount of tech and musicality packed into a small package. Won't be one obsolete any time soon either. Best money you'll spend.

srb

If you can do $600 I'd seriously consider a Chord Mojo - amazing amount of tech and musicality packed into a small package.

As far as I can tell, as the Chord Mojo is designed primarily as a portable headphone DAC, so it

(a) always runs off of the battery

(b) shouldn't be left on

(c) needs a 4 hour charge cycle for up to 10 hours use

(d) headphone output can be switched to 3V line level to feed a preamplifier by holding both volume buttons while switching the unit on (and must be done each time as the line mode is not remembered)

Is this really the best choice for stationary home use or is there another model better suited?

Steve

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
There is the Chord 2Qute, but at $1800 is probably way over the OPs budget.

Yes, the Mojo is primarily intended for the portable market, but no reason why you can't use it in a home system. There are a few drawbacks vs the 2Qute, but to me the cost savings merit it for those on a tight budget.

You will need either minijack to rca cables (or an adaptor), high quality ones which are available from many suppliers. And you will sometimes need to charge it, but basically you also need to do that for the Hugo and Hugo TT which can also not be left indefinitely plugged in without ocasionally being switched off and given a good recharge. The ocasional inconvenience of that is worth the good battery power supply and overall sound quality. Though many dacs do seems to benefit from being left on all the time, Chord claims this is not as necessary with their battery powered designs. And most of us are not listening to music more than a few hours a day.

restrav

thanks for the great insight. Mojo is out of the question. i cant go above $400 and i prefer to buy something around 200 to 250.

have you guys tried chinese ones like Aune?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Would you be interested in a used Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus? I have one that's about two years old. I already bought its replacement, so this is now extra. It can act as a preamp as it has a volume control + remote - original box/original owner. This will be placed on the trading post in a few days. I will double box it for shipping. $250 plus ground shipping. Paypal preferred. UPS ground will be about $13 depending on your location.

I won't have pics for about five more days as I am out of the country until the 11th.

Michael

restrav

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Edit: Hanging in the wind.... :o

No worries.

« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2016, 04:25 am by mresseguie »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
fwiw if you don't go with Michael's unit, I've heard the Modi II on a barely mid-fi system and can say it sounds much better than it has any right to for the price. If you're into that kind of Schiit  :D   All depends on how far up the chain your needs & budget allow I guess.

Flyin_V

I've got a black MicroMega Mydac that I picked up from a fellow ACer some time ago. Three inputs and rave reviews everywhere. I'd like $210 including PP and CONUS shipping.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
With your gear, I'd step up to a Schiit BiFrost ($400) or BiFrost Multi-Bit ($600).  Either are upgradable as the parts become available.  American made by guys who know their stuff.  But you'd need to add a pre-amp (or at least some sort of volume control). 

dpump

Micromega is a fun crisp dac. Rega dac is crap - stay away. Can't speak to others as I haven't heard them.

If you can do $600 I'd seriously consider a Chord Mojo - amazing amount of tech and musicality packed into a small package. Won't be one obsolete any time soon either. Best money you'll spend.

Rega dac is not crap. Statements like this are uncalled for as they have no basis in fact. The Rega dac had a number of decent reviews from reputable publications. If you don't like it that's your opinion, but to call it crap is untrue and uncalled for.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
If you can go $350, this one is the best sounding one under 1K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iFi-Audio-Micro-iDAC-High-Definition-USB-DAC-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier-/291199685548?hash=item43ccda93ac:g:OhIAAOSw7NNT0j81

Extrapolating from the op's post, I assume he needs a SPDIF input, which I don't think the Micro iDAC has.  I mention this because it's the reason I don't have one in my system, it's a very nice sounding unit.

mcgsxr

I owned the Mydac for a while.

A solid choice at the price point and has all the inputs you need.  It can handle up to 24/192 too.

I felt it performed well.

Flyin_V

The inputs are asynchronous USB, coax and optical.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Rega dac is not crap. Statements like this are uncalled for as they have no basis in fact. The Rega dac had a number of decent reviews from reputable publications. If you don't like it that's your opinion, but to call it crap is untrue and uncalled for.

I've heard the Rega dac and have owned Rega Planet and Apollo CD players.  I can tell you from direct experience that the Rega DAC doesn't sound very good, even at it's price point.  Even the reviews are not exactly glowing, calling it fat in the bass and somewhat thick sounding. In the  context of an overly bright system or if you really like your digital dark and rolled off, I guess it could work.  But considering there are many other choices that are both more accurate, musical, and even less expensive, it seems fair to call it "crap".  It does have an attractive and nicely made case.  And at least with the "R" version they've brought the USB to the modern era, even it still doesn't do DSD.

Frankly I think I'd even take the MyDac over it - even with it's light and plastic case. 

deepgroove

greetings,   
I been building and listening to audio gear since the first issue of Soundpractices.
All our rooms, electricity  and ear hearing impendence's are different. So I can't tell you what you are going to experience, all I can do is share my experiences.

But like reading  user reviews of a new washing machine we plan on buying, when we start seeing many favorable user reviews, it is tough to ignore what others have to say.
I have been using a buffalo dac first version and a buf 3 for many years.
Buf 3 is in my workshop where I  spend 2-5 hours a day.
My part time business turned into a  full time business.
I use ripped discs, tidal foobar and Jriver using a plethora of amps and speakers. I have three different home systems.
Wyred4sound dsd se had amazing well defined bass bit closed in compared to the Direct Stream
Psaudio Direct Stream wide open sound, bass sucks very soft very little definition
(Schiit Yggrasil larger sound stage and more defined bass then the Psaudio (bass not as defined as wyred)
GUSTARD x20 the dac that rules them all
BAss like Wyred for Sound, midrange like the Schiit but even more open and larger sound stage, then all of the dacs.
The Gustard has the 80% of the dynamics of my Decca Super Gold mounted on a Vector 3 tone arm, which is mounted on a basis 2500 with full signature upgrades.
Yes digital lacks something that analog gives you, but it is such a pain to deal with, that my basis and ttw just sit.
So I would whole heartedly recommend the Gustard, and I haven't even modded it yet.

restrav

does the Gustard have a remote?/
how does it preform as a preamp? i've been reluctant to use digital volume controls, have you used it as a preamp, as in Dac direct to the amp?