Successful HT room in a basement 7' ceilings?

kenreau

Successful HT room in a basement 7' ceilings?
« on: 31 Mar 2016, 09:22 pm »
We're house shopping in a ~100 year old neighborhood. Most of the houses we've considered have a basement space that is ideal for an isolated man-cave, but they all typically only have a 7' ceiling height.  They length and width of the rooms is adequate (14' wide x 20' long +/-). 

I would like to install a projector and screen.  Can these be successfully implemented in rooms with a 7' ceiling?  Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks
Kenreau

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Successful HT room in a basement 7' ceilings?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2016, 09:59 pm »
It is absolutely possible and can be quite good.

In my previous house I had the HT in the basement and my ceiling was a little less than 7' tall (I think it was around 79" inches) and the width was between 12-14' wide.

I had no issue with a 110" screen and could have gone even bigger if I liked.

To maximize the setup, I went with an acoustically transparent screen in a custom built mahogany frame I built.  The L/C/R + multiple subs were behind the screen and I had another sub, plus floor standing rear channels and on-wall rear channel speakers.

I had seating for six people (front row was three leather recliners, back row was a couch on a platform).

You can see some not so good pictures here:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNrPZ-j_ZOC7At6iJdzOWUl8I9f3PBt17ALy88z

George

kenreau

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm »
Thanks, George, good to know.  I couldn't get the photo link to work.  How did you mount the projector?

I really like the idea of the acoustically transparent screens, in particular to help with using all the same front speakers L/C/R.  Are they really acoustically transparent? 

Thank
Kenreau

It is absolutely possible and can be quite good.

In my previous house I had the HT in the basement and my ceiling was a little less than 7' tall (I think it was around 79" inches) and the width was between 12-14' wide.

I had no issue with a 110" screen and could have gone even bigger if I liked.

To maximize the setup, I went with an acoustically transparent screen in a custom built mahogany frame I built.  The L/C/R + multiple subs were behind the screen and I had another sub, plus floor standing rear channels and on-wall rear channel speakers.

I had seating for six people (front row was three leather recliners, back row was a couch on a platform).

You can see some not so good pictures here:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNrPZ-j_ZOC7At6iJdzOWUl8I9f3PBt17ALy88z

George

srb

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:30 pm »
I really like the idea of the acoustically transparent screens, in particular to help with using all the same front speakers L/C/R.  Are they really acoustically transparent?

I can tell a subtle difference on most speakers with and without their grilles on, so I suspect even the most acoustically transparent screens will attenuate the highs a little bit - but hey, it's Home Theater! - just bump the EQ up a tad to compensate!

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:50 pm »
I can tell a subtle difference on most speakers with and without their grilles on, so I suspect even the most acoustically transparent screens will attenuate the highs a little bit - but hey, it's Home Theater! - just bump the EQ up a tad to compensate!

Steve

Exactly!

Since my HT system was separate from my 2 channel system, I had no issues with a little high frequency loss due to the screen.

I had a Sm/X screen, but if I was buying a new one today I would get a Seymour screen.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2016, 12:04 am »
Thanks, George, good to know.  I couldn't get the photo link to work.  How did you mount the projector?

Thank
Kenreau

Let me try and figure out the pic permissions.   :oops:

In terms of mounting, the lower ceiling height didn't impact my ability to mount the pj.

George

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:49 am »
My basement is in an older house as well with perhaps under 8 ft ceiling. I have a 96 screen which works great. The top of the screen frame almost touches the ceiling drywall but I still have room for the center channel below and subs. I like having my screen lower - don't like craning my neck up. Guess I'm more of a mid to back row viewer than front row. Should be some photos of my set up in my profile.

The projector is low and I've placed it on purpose above the seats in a way that people are not going to knock in to it. I suppose if your room is not to long you can also mount it on the back wall. I like it closer / center of room so people don't block the image walking in front of it. It also allows means I don't have to run the projector brightness flat out. Not a problem with cheaper epsons which are light cannons, but JVCs don't tend to run as bright.

Hope that helps. Having an HT room w/ a projector and big screen is one of life's great luxuries -  and now surprisingly affordable!

jpm

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2016, 08:08 am »
My setup is similar to jarcher's. One suggestion, don't skip on ceiling insulation or you may find yourself reducing the dynamic range and bass extension at bed time, depending on how the sound travels.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:29 pm »
I don't run a PJ, but do have my HT in the basement.  My 2 channel shares the same space, but is separate.  Ceiling height under the bulkhead is 6'4, otherwise 7'5.

+1 on the insulation.  I put copious Roxul in my ceiling joists, and would recommend a solid core door to the basement plus some weather stripping and door sweep.  This combination of affordable, simple to implement steps gives me a LOT of flexibility for volume enjoyment at any time of day.

A separate HVAC would be required to truly soundproof, but what I have done means I can listen at 90dB peaks in the basement with the door closed, and it in no way interferes with my family sleeping.

Prior to finishing the basement and installing those measures, anything over 77dB peaks in the room would inspire corrective action from my wife!

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:02 pm »
Our basement has 7' 5" ceilings and I replaced the cheap vinyl coated fibre glass tile and installed RT ceiling  tile.
I believe they are OC 703(3.5") with membrane,same as a mini trap without the frame.
The whole ceiling is one huge bass trap(12x21).
I use a Stewart Studiotek-100(121"x49") and Jvc 600 projector with a Chief mount.
I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the ceiling joist to mount the projector(solid).
Screen was mounted about 2' off the floor and perfect for not having to look up at the pict.........

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:06 pm »
hmm can't turn the pict around for the Chief mount

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:31 pm »
The basement in my old house probably had a ceiling a few inches under 8 feet and was fine.  I built a shelf in front of a soffit for the projector.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:36 pm »
PS - the little trap door (which was just moulding around a piece of sheet rock) in the above pic (near the top) was so I could get to the wiring in back of the projector (I cut a hole in the soffit).  I ran (a couple of 2 inch pieces of) PVC in the ceiling from the unfinished part of the basement above the equipment rack so I could slide video cabling and a  power cord.  The projector covered the opening in back and I put an air conditioning vent cover in the ceiling not connected to anything above the projector so that any hot air had additional space to go besides the several inches between the top of the projector and the ceiling.

kenreau

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2016, 05:18 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, guys!  I feel much better about my perceived compromises of the low ceilings and look forward to finally having a dedicated HT space.

Great list of lessons learned like insulation / isolation, conduit raceways, screens and projectors.

I'll follow up after we purchase a place and show how it comes together this summer.

Thanks again,
Kenreau