New high end Bryston Speaker

adol290

New high end Bryston Speaker
« on: 26 Mar 2016, 08:58 pm »
Hi James,

I heard that Bryston has been working on another speaker, that will be your new High end speaker.

Can you share any more information at this time....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New high end Bryston Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2016, 09:34 pm »
Hi James,

I heard that Bryston has been working on another speaker, that will be your new High end speaker.

Can you share any more information at this time....

Yes I am working on a speaker above the Model T - it will be called the "T-REX".

It is a full line source speaker and probable 2 cabinets per channel - Bass tower and Mid/Tweeter line source.  Be around 7.5 feet tall to qualify as a true line source and operate in 2-Pi space.

Like the Model T it will be available in Passive and Active versions.

james

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2016, 07:42 am »
I know it would be sacrilege to bring in a competitor's amps, but it would be fitting to have an Ampzilla driving it =P

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:11 am »
I know it would be sacrilege to bring in a competitor's amps, but it would be fitting to have an Ampzilla driving it =P

Ampzilla - boy that takes me back !  I lusted after one of those in my very early days as a budding audiophile - loved the look!

Anyway it will be an easy load so any competent amp will be fine.

james

Armaegis

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2016, 09:15 pm »
One of these days I think it'd be fun to see a booth at a show where the manufacturer doesn't even bring their own stuff. It'll be "nah, we're so confident in our gear we don't even need to bring it, so instead here's a whole bunch of cool vintage stuff that we audio geeks have collected over the years".

Hmm, probably that'd be fine with a speaker-only manufacturer using old amps, or vice versa. Maybe not so much when you build both.

I could kinda see it being a draw too. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and getting more traffic to the booth is still more eyes that will see your product even if the initial draw was something else.

But hey I'm just an engineer, not a marketing witch doctor =P

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2016, 11:36 am »
Interesting news. So is Bryston building the cabinets themselves or will it continue to be Axiom even though they don't appear to have a similar type of product being built for themselves?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm »
Interesting news. So is Bryston building the cabinets themselves or will it continue to be Axiom even though they don't appear to have a similar type of product being built for themselves?

It will be Axiom - our relationship with them has turned into more of a partnership than an OEM supplier.  They deal with an entirely different segment of the audio speaker market than we do so it is a terrific partnership. 

I get to use all of their sophisticated development tools (especially the anechoic chamber and subwoofer tower) and they are just excellent speaker designers with tons of experience.  The old saying
"they have forgotten more than I know" applies.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:02 pm »
When can we expect to get a glimpse of the speaker, even if only the prototype?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:50 pm »
When can we expect to get a glimpse of the speaker, even if only the prototype?

Still doing a lot of testing so I would say at least 6-9 months. 

james

Rod_S

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2016, 02:16 pm »
Thanks, so quite a ways off.

So the speaker is going to be quite tall as you mention, what about width and depth? Will it also be large in both respects or stay relatively narrow and slim?

Hopefully aesthetically speaking they are more elegantly designed to get away from the boxy look with all of the straight edges and sharp angles.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2016, 03:46 pm »
Thanks, so quite a ways off.

So the speaker is going to be quite tall as you mention, what about width and depth? Will it also be large in both respects or stay relatively narrow and slim?

Hopefully aesthetically speaking they are more elegantly designed to get away from the boxy look with all of the straight edges and sharp angles.

Yes I am thinking around 7.5 feet to get the line source effect.  The Mid tweeter cabinet will be thiner but the woofer section will be larger as you need the enclosure size for low frequency capability.   Aesthetically I want to maintain the boxy look!

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2016, 05:32 pm »
James, are all T models available as active models?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2016, 07:05 pm »

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Not yet but we are close to releasing a new digital active crossover which will allow the Model T to be active. Anyone with the Model T Signature can easily go active by replacing the Passive external crossover

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2016, 09:51 pm »

Cheers!
Antun

Sorry I think I misunderstood your question. Only the Model T is available as active. We have done a couple of Middle T's on a custom active order.

mr_bill

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm »
Hi Antun

Not yet but we are close to releasing a new digital active crossover which will allow the Model T to be active. Anyone with the Model T Signature can easily go active by replacing the Passive external crossover

James

Hi James, regarding the T Sig - active version crossover is available now?  Is it just the digital active crossover that is being released later?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm »
Hi James, regarding the T Sig - active version crossover is available now?  Is it just the digital active crossover that is being released later?

Hi

There is no active crossover yet. The new digital crossover is being developed specifically for the Model T.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2016, 07:03 am »
Hi

There is no active crossover yet. The new digital crossover is being developed specifically for the Model T.

James

Hi James!

This digital crossover sounds interesting. I assume your intention is to hvae a digital player like the BDP connected to the crossover directily, have the signal processed and split in the digital domain, and then send it to multiple DACs like the BDA to feed multiple amplifiers. Is this right?

If it is, then I would like to Know the following:
1. how would analogue sources be handled, i.e. does the crossover contain ADC to convert the signal to digital?
2. what is the maximum sampling supported by the crossover as I did not see any commercial solutions that handle more than 96kHz? Not that this is required but your BDA-3 supports DSD.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2016, 10:28 am »
Hi James!

This digital crossover sounds interesting. I assume your intention is to hvae a digital player like the BDP connected to the crossover directily, have the signal processed and split in the digital domain, and then send it to multiple DACs like the BDA to feed multiple amplifiers. Is this right?

If it is, then I would like to Know the following:
1. how would analogue sources be handled, i.e. does the crossover contain ADC to convert the signal to digital?
2. what is the maximum sampling supported by the crossover as I did not see any commercial solutions that handle more than 96kHz? Not that this is required but your BDA-3 supports DSD.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I am using the same AKM DAC's in the BDA3 for the crossover and experimenting with different sampling - so far it looks like 96/24 gives us what we want. 

The external crossover takes an analog signal on its left and right inputs and converts it to digital - then the digital crossover does the processing and outputs analog on the woofer/mid/tweeter left and right outputs.

james

Armaegis

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2016, 03:46 pm »
For those who wish to avoid extra conversion steps, would it be possible to implement a digital input?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2016, 03:49 pm »
For those who wish to avoid extra conversion steps, would it be possible to implement a digital input?

HI

That would be a different product and we may look at that as part of a preamp design.

james