Batman vs Superman

ajzepp

Batman vs Superman
« on: 25 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm »
So this movie is getting absolutely crushed by the critics...Last i saw it was hovering around 39% on RT, but then when I checked just now it's dropped all the way down to 30%.

Would love to hear some feedback from you guys...I've been working a ton of OT lately, so trying to decide if this is a theater trip or a rental.

RDavidson

Re: Batman vs Superman
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2016, 10:35 pm »
I mean.....the premise is awful. That's the foundation for the entire movie.

Go see Zootopia. It's great.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2016, 11:18 pm »
I've got to chime in. I agree 100% that the premise is ridiculous. When I saw the ad the first time, I could only guess the target audience is a pack of eight to fourteen year-olds. What on earth was who thinking?

Kungfu Panda 3 looks a lot more entertaining - and educational.   :icon_lol:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2016, 11:35 pm »
I will likely watch it some time down the road when I can stream it.  Just judging by the titles (having seen neither), I'm guessing I'll probably enjoy it more than Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda!

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2016, 11:47 pm »
So this movie is getting absolutely crushed by the critics...Last i saw it was hovering around 39% on RT, but then when I checked just now it's dropped all the way down to 30%.

Would love to hear some feedback from you guys...I've been working a ton of OT lately, so trying to decide if this is a theater trip or a rental.

Lol. Just from the trailer this is either a rental or a uh high-tened theater viewing. Maybe now snyder will be seen for the talentless hsck he is.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2016, 12:10 am »
The trailer did not show much promise.  It looks like something to either something to wait for Netflix or wait until it is in the bargain bin and figure it is OK for a popcorn flick.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2016, 12:55 am »
lol, guess by the reactions we're all feeling about the same...I have to admit, though, I really didn't think it would get pounded like this. Most of the Marvel films are pretty well-received (although I know many of us have superhero hangover lately), but I guess DC just doesn't quite have the magic - save for the Bale Batman trilogy.

Thankfully there are still a whole bunch of movies on my short list I need to get caught up with, so unless someone chimes in with a stellar review, I'll probably just wait this one out.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2016, 02:00 am »
I don't buy nearly as many movies as I used to (or even go to the movies much either).  I just sold about 140 LDs (along with a couple of players) a few months back and have been buying DVDs or Blu-Rays of some of them I liked at good prices.  Even some new Blu-Ray releases I'd like to own at some point, I wait until the price comes down or it is released with some other feature (e.g. 3D or when I have a UHD Blu-Ray player a UHD disc) down the road in the near future.  I find it is easy to get a decent range of opinions from both critics and fans down the road (much like going to the dynamic range database before I buy a hi-rez version of music) and decide if an when I will get something.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2016, 02:58 am »
I haven't seen it yet but I want to.  I guess my fanboy roots will show through but the "premise" seems borrowed from one of the three best graphic novels DC ever put out (with probably the best being The Watchmen), so I'm stoked.  For the most part I'm not a big fan of DC comics or characters but the showdown between Supes and Bats is kind of a staple.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2016, 03:53 am »
The comics where this happened were not a long story. It's really just a question of the most powerful [good] guy vs. the best strategist in the DC universe. In the comic Bruce is older and just wants to prove a point. He doesn't do it entirely alone but Batman literally holds Superman's life in his hands. And then fakes his own death that Superman believes, after he's show he could end Superman at will... a sort of "if you won't be the man the people need you to be, you'll die, don't forget." However Superman barely, total fate, discovers Bruce isn't dead but let's him be at peace in retirement (where he actually trains young people to take over). 

The movie? No idea.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2016, 06:43 am »
I'll be sure to accidentally pick this one up at the video store when it comes out :duh:

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2016, 08:48 am »
Saw it.  Liked it.   No, it's not an amazing movie - but I wouldn't say it sucks either.  Honestly, I don't know what some critics were expecting to see. When you get right down to it, this is a movie that features a guy in a bat suit, a good looking alien with a red cape, a good looking female alien wearing very little, and a mega monster.  This ain't exactly the kind of formula that makes for cinematic poetry..

obiwan11

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2016, 09:01 am »
Guys, it was actually quite good. I didn't want universes colliding, I would have rather Superman stay in his own world as the single hero, especially given the serious tone of Man of Steel, I just couldn't see how it could save face adding Batman and then even Wonder Woman. But I was pleasantly surprised. It maintained it's serious tone, no silly campy one liners that you'd get from George Lucas in the star wars prequels or other superhero stories. Avengers etc is written to please the teens and 20's, this is pitched more to adults, in fact not a single child in the packed theatre.

And don't wait till it's on iTunes etc, because by then the ending will be common knowledge, and it won't have the same impact. Certainly not how I expected it to end, and in a few days, everyone is going to know.

I've become a convert, I previously couldn't imagine a Superman without John Williams' score, but I've accepted it after Man of Steel, and now this new take on Superman  seems right. And OK, I'll let him have friends to play with. Batman, WonderWoman and Alfred were all good additions.

dyfromhawaii

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:04 am »
went tonight to the 740pm show...practically packed theatre with about maybe 15-20% kids under ages 16...I give it a 6 out of 10...spoiler alert...nothing to see at the credits.. I know as I stayed to the very end...

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:59 am »
I read this very horrible review in NYT and I was about to ditch it but then I had promised the entire family that we were going to watch it on Friday morning.  The regular, non 3D showing was packed to the brim about 35 minutes before it was expected to begin, so we were pushed to the 3D theater, the price differential had pushed everyone to the regular theater. 

When I watched it, I was waiting for the interpretation that Zack Snyder gives most of his movies since his 300 etc....  Lots of CGI, but well done, as well an attempt to taking the script, the story line towards something beyond mindless battle and action.  It mostly succeeds it.  If my wife who is learning English is wonder the how, the who, the what and why, I think was a fine movie.  Once again,  not too many young ones.  Sure there were some cheese in some dialogues BUT, it was not the terrible bomb that all critics make it seem. 

How someone else mentioned it was not movie poetry BUT the 2.5 hour length of the movies show that there has been some sort of attempt to present some of the philosophical problems and other elements from regular literature and in this case the graphic literature that it is based on. 

Think, RottenTomato critics:  30%, the audience gives it 74%.

Watch it in the theaters, it is a worthwhile experience especially with this sort of superhero cinema. 

md92468

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:30 pm »
More negatives than positives in my book, but not the disaster critics have made it out to be. For all the gnashing of teeth over the last few years, Affleck was a pretty decent Batman, and Gadot is quite good as well (she more than held her own on screen against two more established cinematic icons).

I think many (though certainly not all) of the problems of the film could have mitigated by better editing...it seems like someone fell in love with certain scenes without really considering if they advanced the narrative of the film, and the result is the bloating and confusion many critics are complaining about...

Either way I wouldn't say they've ruined future Justice League plans...I just hope someone finds a way to lighten things just a hair. They should hand out umbrellas rather than 3D glasses for all the rain in Snyder's films...

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2016, 03:17 pm »
lol, guess by the reactions we're all feeling about the same...I have to admit, though, I really didn't think it would get pounded like this. Most of the Marvel films are pretty well-received (although I know many of us have superhero hangover lately), but I guess DC just doesn't quite have the magic - save for the Bale Batman trilogy.

Thankfully there are still a whole bunch of movies on my short list I need to get caught up with, so unless someone chimes in with a stellar review, I'll probably just wait this one out.

Ironic in a way cause the TV side of DC is IMO much better than the Marvel.

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2016, 03:19 pm »
Saw it.  Liked it.   No, it's not an amazing movie - but I wouldn't say it sucks either.  Honestly, I don't know what some critics were expecting to see. When you get right down to it, this is a movie that features a guy in a bat suit, a good looking alien with a red cape, a good looking female alien wearing very little, and a mega monster.  This ain't exactly the kind of formula that makes for cinematic poetry..

Marvel has proven otherwise. I mean the Civil War Trailers ARE cinematic poetry.

ehider

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2016, 06:09 pm »

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2016, 06:40 pm »
Ben's take on the bad review aftermath...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw&feature=em-share_video_user

Ok, that was brilliant. Especially as such a talented director it must have been tough to know he was in an inferior film. But hey, dude got paid $$$$$.