Re: From Khartago to Kismet...and a question

bassraptor

« on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:50 pm »
I've been using a pair of Khartago Mono Extreme SE amps for 4-5 years. I live in Malaysia and Odyssey amps are brought in by a dealer. My preamp is the Tempest SLB.

This amp configuration has served me admirably well over the years. They have driven Magnepan 1.6, 1.7 and now .7 (currently in place) panels effortlessly.

Have been toying with the idea of buying a big-ass integrated amp later this year, from McIntosh or Mark Levinson, as a one-box solution. Then, I recalled the dealer having a pair of Kismet References Monos for sale, and convinced him to let me take them home for demo.

Five minutes after powering up these amps, all thoughts of big integrated amps went out of the window. The Kismets are more refined, quieter, cleaner sounding, better detailed and neutral, and the .7 pair sounded like they had more bass reach than previously. After picking my jaw off the floor, I told my dealer I'm keeping them. These are probably the last amps I will buy, and they've taken the overall sound from my system up a few levels. At half the cost of what I would have paid for a "branded" integrated!

The rest of my system includes the Tempest, an Ayon Audio CD-1s CD player and VPI Classic 1 TT with Dynavector XX2 MKII cartridge. Will spending the money I saved on upgrading the sources.

That's all for now... just sharing my Khartago to Kismet experience.

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2016, 08:19 am by bassraptor »

bassraptor

« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2016, 08:19 am »
Has anyone here tried the Kismets with preamps from other manufacturers... say, Audio Research or McIntosh or others...?

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2016, 03:12 am »
Has anyone here tried the Kismets with preamps from other manufacturers... say, Audio Research or McIntosh or others...?

I use my Kismet Monos with a Juicy Music Blueberry Xtreme 2. The combo is sublime in my room. Love it.

- Woody

AGS

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2016, 10:47 pm »
I am using the kismet mono's with an Audio Research Ref 2 pre and the sound is the best I've had in my system.  The kismet mono amps are far more transparent than my VT200 and a big step up from my 100.2 which I sold a few months ago. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2016, 12:04 am »
I'm currently using a Herron vtsp 3a pre with my Kismets and it sounds phenomenal but would like to try a passive like the Tortuga. 

Arcticdeth

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2016, 02:37 am »
I use a B&K Pro10 MC with my basic stratos monos. Good sound.  I also use my old aging Onkyo p-308 as well.  I have not tried my Sanders sound system preamp yet. That one is being used in my upstairs system with my (very good friend's) McCormack DNA -750s' on loan to me. I am trying to get him to sell to a friend at a friends price, ......he is not biting .......yet.