'Integrating' Maggies and the Subwoofer

Paul McNeil

'Integrating' Maggies and the Subwoofer
« on: 24 Mar 2016, 03:44 am »
I have, and am in love with, a pair of 1.7 Maggies, driven by a Crown 2500 amp (~700 watts into 4 ohm), fed by a Parasound preamp whose source is a Sony HapZ-S (uncompressed music files, of course). The Maggies are supplemented (in the bass) by a Rel 9 subwoofer (using its supplied high level feed lines from the Crown amp). Note: my room is large, a subwoofer is not optional...in my opinion and experience.

The key component, however, that brings all this together, is a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, which sits in between my Sony source and the Parasound preamp.

This DSPeaker unit measures the summed in room bass that the Maggies and the Rel produce, and corrects for room modes (major stuff in any room!). It also provides a graph of the response (dB variation as a function of htz).

Initially, with the wires all connected correctly, I had a BIG suck-out at around 100 htz (-20 dB!). Was this poor integration of the Maggies and the Rel, or poor positioning of the Maggies and or the Rel, or....?  The good news was, I could see this on the graph. The bad news is that while an equalizer like this DSPeaker unit reduces room peaks very effectively, valleys of this size...well, no, cannot do (no amp or speaker driver big enough!).  And the sound was, not surprisingly, disappointing at this point.

But I could experiment, by reference to the graphical display. So first I changed the phase (by 180 degrees) on the Rel, and, wow, now no suck-out, and after the DSPeaker unit had eliminated room peaks, the in room response was flat (plus/minus 3 dB) from 200 to 25 htz. And the sound, to die for.

(And, I thought I would have to make many changes in Maggie and/or Rel locations, and in the Rel's high level crossover and volume level settings. But, I could have done this accurately, with the graphical output and some extra effort. I just got lucky with the (single) phase setting change!)

The Rel is now completely invisible sonically. The combined Maggie and Rel bass defines transparent, e.g. it is extended, very well defined spatially and tonally accurate.

Does anyone else use digital room correction/equalization on their Maggies? My two cents, if you don't I highly recommend trying it. 'Integration' of Maggies and sub, can be easy and successful.

Kurtamus

Re: 'Integrating' Maggies and the Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2016, 04:11 am »
Thanks for this post, I have been considering a DSpeaker unit.  I have 1.7's and a Rhythmik sub in a not great room.  I have some GIK corner traps and some diffusion behind the Maggies, and while it sounds very good, the bass is still not really "right". 

I had already pretty much decided to get one, but I lost my mind and just spent way too money on a new camera lens, gonna have to recover from that before I can finance the DSpeaker.  Of course, I could live the American Dream and just put it on the credit card.  No, cant do it....

Paul McNeil

Re: 'Integrating' Maggies and the Subwoofer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2016, 04:23 am »
Oh my! Can you sell the 'bass traps'? They are not even close as functional competition with DSPeaker, or like (I've tried this analogue and non-quantitative approach). And SAF (if this matters)
 sucks as well...