10 Cloverfield Lane

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
10 Cloverfield Lane
« on: 22 Mar 2016, 02:26 am »
Just caught this one last night.  Overall I really liked it!  It was hard to find out what the film was about without finding out too much, if that makes sense.  It's kind of a horror movie in the loosest sense of the word but really more of a suspense/thriller.  Great acting, and it had to be- I think only four or five actors ever appeared on screen during the course of the film.  Mostly it takes place in an underground bunker.  Goodman is really outstanding, as usual.  He manages to mix a little bit of warmth alongside a lot of paranoia and menace.  The film was produced by JJ Abrams and there's some trace of Super 8 in it (a film I disliked enough that I didn't make it to the end) in a good way, but it kind of reminds me of something M. Night Shyamalan might have done before his career totally went off the rails.  There's a palpable sense of suspense and foreboding like the best parts of Lost, and there are surprises all the way to the end.

Overall it was well done.  Not a masterpiece but better than I expected. :thumb:

ajzepp

Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2016, 03:44 am »
Without giving anything away, is the "Cloverfield" tie in just a marketing ploy, or does it actually relate to the first film?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:09 am »
I never saw Cloverfield, the monster movie.  From what I can tell there's no direct relation but again, I'm not 100%.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:10 am »
So worth going to in theater?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:17 am »
I think so.  And this is coming from a guy that generally doesn't like horror movies.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:18 am »
I don't either... But I love John Goodman. It's a shame he's not in more good movies.

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2016, 01:06 pm »
It was worth going to see it vs staying home and watching the tube or mowing the yard.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:09 pm »
I thought the movie stunk, 1:45 of 3 people talking basically in one room.  And if we hadn't seen it in an IMAX with the far better audio, there would have been nothing but disappointment for me.  I walked out pissed. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:07 pm »
I can easily understand why some didn't like it.  Currently though it's at 90% 'fresh' on RottenTomatoes.  I found it to be entertaining, quite taut and suspenseful.  Although there are some action sequences it's certainly not an action movie.  It helps if you're a fan of Goodman and Winstead (which I am).

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2016, 09:15 pm »
I thought the movie stunk, 1:45 of 3 people talking basically in one room.  And if we hadn't seen it in an IMAX with the far better audio, there would have been nothing but disappointment for me.  I walked out pissed.

How did you feel about Dogville?  :green: