Wow! FM acoustics 268 resolution series - $160,000! Really?

undertow

I am not 100% sure where to put this observation, I guess this circle is as good as any. But can somebody on the planet please help justify how in the world there could be $160,000 of value in an control amp of all things!

I also realize FM acoustics in the audio world is up there in terms of if you want a real Rolex, or Patek Philippe, or Vacheron Constantin watch you need to go quite above the standard in world pricing, but this thing?

Maybe they just don't mention it in the specs., but I assume that the gold knobs, and buttons are literally all solid gold, but even then could they be more than a 8 or 10 ounce bar of gold total? If so we have eliminated $10,000 of the cost. How about the other $150,000 left over that actually relates to sound? [By the way I am sure there is probably not a single gram of real gold in the knobs anyway]

Anybody heard this thing, any engineers believe they could not actually match the part quality, and cost for under $25,000? What gives?

I know there are seriously outrageous costs on a lot of gear including speakers, and cables which are the most ludicrous, but something like this costing as much as a small house for 2 stereo channels is beyond me. Is it all just more money than brains at this point? I would definitely take that Ferrari that could get me somewhere fast even if it does only get 12 miles a gallon :duh:

Final Note : does not look like it will hold its value anywhere near that used Rolex, or Ferrari either!

http://www.fmacoustics.com/news/introducing-the-resolution-series-268c/

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-fm-acoustics-fm-268-etc-2016-03-04-preamplifiers-90057-los-angeles-ca

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
FMAc are made in Swiss which is not member from the Euro thing, the currency there is Franco Swiss, these equips are made by a experienced engineer not a cheap paid maide, to complete FM profits are huge of course.

undertow

To make it clear I don't really expect any answer to this trick question... Because there is not one that could possibly justify it...Unless it is actually capable of being plugged into the NASA space shuttle, and navigating you thru space in an emergency...

ClefChef

It looks cheap, a bit like those Chinese knock-offs in rickety chassis  :D

To answer your question I would venture to guess that the high sticker price serves as a way to that "exclusivity" factor - nothing to do with real value in terms of sound quality, value of materials or engineering.

We all heard of Goldmund's "audiophile" CD player with cheapo Pioneer drive put in a fancy aluminum chassis. Can one hear the difference between $20,000 amplifier and $160,000? - I doubt it, but one can definitely FEEL the price of it and, therefore, the perceived VALUE.

srb

But can somebody on the planet please help justify how in the world there could be $160,000 of value in an integrated amp of all things!

If it were an integrated amp, it would be a "better" deal.  But alas, the 268 is only a preamplifier and you will want to add the 1811 power amplifier ($125,000).  ;)

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Wow! FM acoustics 268 resolution series - $160,000! Really?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2016, 03:55 pm »
I have a PDF from the FM-111 priced Eu17000 tested in a French mag where large photos show the steel chassis is very thin and cheap, no alu except the face plate.

undertow

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2016, 03:57 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing FM acoustics from a quality, or even sound standard... Accept for the ridiculous pricing it is good gear. I did get to hear a real nice setup once running thru "Polytechnic" speakers I believe. It was good, very good. But a half million dollars good vs. a really sweet $25K system? Highly doubtful to be honest.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:05 pm »
It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that bling.

undertow

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:08 pm »
True... My Conrad Johnson at least has a volume LED display... It has gold buttons as well, but maybe I need to change them to real gold instead in order to up the "Bling" factor 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:09 pm »
I'm not sure about all this whining. It's gonna be $80,000 on Audiogon in a month or two.  Sheesh.

undertow

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:35 pm »
Your right. Running it on Audiogon is nothing at $150 bucks a month in this price level, they will bring it more in line with the market around 75 or 80,000 I am sure in no time  :lol: