After market cable for Dharma1000

mckeelma

After market cable for Dharma1000
« on: 20 Mar 2016, 01:29 pm »
Hi all, I’m a new member to these forums. I just purchased my first “high end” Headphones, ENIGMAcoustics Dharma1000. I'm very much enjoying it.

Last year I put together a little 2 channel speaker system and knew I wanted the option of incorporating high fidelity HP listening. The hub of my system is Nuprime’s DAC-10h (DAC, preamp and headphone amp). I really like this piece of gear as it allows me to incorporate so many elements into my set up. The HP amp stage is really quite good. It’s balanced with both balanced and unbalanced outs. Inner Fidelity just gave it a really positive review.

I’ve owned Grado 225 and RS1 since about 212, but I’m ready to kick it up a notch and so I purchased the Dharma.

I’m planning on upgrading the cable to an aftermarket cable with a balanced connection.

I’m a newbie to this end of audio. My question is for a $1K’ish investment, what is a reasonable amount to invest in a cable upgrade?  I’m not going to attempt a DIY. I’ve been looking online at some cable outfits like Moon Audio and Plus Sound. Obviously it can get pretty spendy and I’m soliciting advice!

steve in jersey

Re: After market cable for Dharma1000
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2016, 03:26 pm »
I've had good results using after market cables from the 2 companies you've mentioned, but not being a great believer in the necessity of running my headphones balanced (As my entire playback system is running off of an Equitech 1.5Q BPT line conditioner) SE works just fine for me.

Due to the fact the HD800/Dharma connectors add about a +$40(or so) charge to whatever cable you're ordering I think you can expect to pay between $250 to $300 for an 8' XLR terminated headphone cable. The cable cost goes up the more "exotic" wire choice you make.

Personally, unless I were listening to my music through my close to "End Game" playback system I'm not so sure that I'd spend the $ on the 'special sauce' wire recipes for this cable . At this point even the most basic wire choice option you can find from most aftermarket cable makers will be an upgrade to the original headphone cable.

The unfortunate part of all this, is that you'll have to decide how "Reasonable" the cost is going to be ! Just remember "Google" is your friend. There's 1 more cable maker called "Headphonelounge.com" that you might want to try. ( They seem like they might fit the 'Reasonable' category as they seem to have a following on Head-Fi )

mckeelma

Re: After market cable for Dharma1000
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2016, 04:25 pm »
Thanks so much Steve! That's just the kind of information I need :thumb: