Bryston cables

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston cables
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2016, 12:25 am »
Thank you for cable info, James.  I have wanted to buy Bryston cables in the UK but can't find a stockist, and Bryston store only seems to be open for Canada/US sales. Are there any Bryston cable suppliers in Uk/Europe?

best

docder

Hi

I do not think any off our distributors carry the cables but we xhould be able to send them from Canada.  Contact Melissa at Bryston and she can help. 

mmyles@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2016, 12:29 am »
James, I greatly appreciate a simple yet truly scientific approach regarding cables.

But I can't find hardly any product information from Bryston, can't find any reviews, and can't find any other online information makes purchase an act of faith.

You mention Bryston interconnect capacitance and shielding, but no such information is available.

You mention low impedance for Bryston speaker cables, but no such information is available.

I couldn't find any information for Bryston power cords.

And my closest dealer is 100 miles away.

Hi

Here is the info on the speaker cables:

BRYSTON SPEAKER CABLES

Gauge: - 9.5

Resistance - .003 Ohms Per Meter

Capacitance – 97 P/F Per Meter

Inductance - .4 MicroHenry Per Meter

I will see if I can find the info on the interconnects - the single ended is Canare and the Balanced is low noise microphone cable from VanDamme.

james

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2016, 09:55 am by James Tanner »

G E

« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2016, 01:21 pm »
Marius,

If you want to dabble with cables, you might try Morrow Audio. They have a 60 day money back return policy on new cables and a lifetime warranty, so there's no risk (except shipping cost).

- Garrett

+1

Excellent results with morrow ic's and speaker cables.  My preamp to amp is a25 foot run of xlr blue jeans cable.  Would like to try a shoot out with Morrows version some time.  Even their cabling gets expensive at that length

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2016, 04:59 pm »
Hi james,

What's the net gauge and specs (capacitance, impedance) on Bryston's XLR pair?

Looking for a pair to use with my BP17 > 14B2

Thanks,
Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2016, 05:43 pm »
Hi james,

What's the net gauge and specs (capacitance, impedance) on Bryston's XLR pair?

Looking for a pair to use with my BP17 > 14B2

Thanks,
Pete

Bryston XLR Cables

Electrical characteristics

Resistance   Conductor Ohm/Km   <85

Screen Ohm/Km   <85

Insulation M Ohm/Km   >5000

Capacitance Core to core pF/m   56 nominal

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2016, 10:31 am »
HI Folks,

Because there seems to be a lot of interest in cables please see below:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm »
Has anybody here ever used Belden 8402 XLR cables on a Bryston amp? Tinned copper OFC.
Any observations would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/8402.pdf

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2016, 10:56 pm »
And notice on Brystons website you have to click on the store link at the top right of website . Took me awhile to see that .

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:11 pm »
Has anybody here ever used Belden 8402 XLR cables on a Bryston amp? Tinned copper OFC.
Any observations would be appreciated. Thanks.
It's a good cable.
Designed as a heavy microphone cable. So it's a good robust flexible cable. It should sound the same as other well designed bulk cables.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:25 pm »
It's a good cable.
Designed as a heavy microphone cable. So it's a good robust flexible cable. It should sound the same as other well designed bulk cables.

Thanks. Am swinging towards getting a Neotech NEI-3004. From T5 Audio. OCC with Furutech plugs.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:40 pm »
While I don't know anything about Neotech, it still should sound the same as the Belden.

adol290

« Reply #31 on: 22 Mar 2016, 07:14 pm »
Thanks. Am swinging towards getting a Neotech NEI-3004. From T5 Audio. OCC with Furutech plugs.

I have the nei-3004 from t5, and nei-3001(the old version). The 3004 is ok for a cheaper cable, tends to take away
 some of the high end detail, but my 3001(old version has less detail loss). If you can afford it go for the 3002 or 3001(both are the new version).
 The new version has some silver strands that help improve the high end detail.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2016, 12:50 am »
@adol, thanks for the input.

Marius

« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2016, 07:46 am »
Ok thanks James, no extra shielding measures needed. Good to be sure on that.

Still, im a bit in limbo about the US/EU translation of things. AWG vs mm2.

I can't find a conclusive answer yet to how the markings on my cables (3 x 1 mm2, 10A) translate to AWG. Other cables i have are 3 x 0,7 mm2, 6 A. Using the 10A for my 28b's now, which should be more than sufficient. does the AWG number refer to a single wire, or the 3 together, or any other set of specifics, its all a bit confusing...

I do like to know exactly obviously, so any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marius

When we ship overseas we always include the appropriate power cable for the specific country. There is no extra shielding added as far as I know but a quality power supply stage will be designed to reject in-coming noise on the power line.

james

Marius

« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2016, 07:49 am »
Marius,

If you want to dabble with cables, you might try Morrow Audio. They have a 60 day money back return policy on new cables and a lifetime warranty, so there's no risk (except shipping cost).

- Garrett

Thanks Grit,

ill have a look, maybe they can shed some light on the AWG/mm2 translation l-)

Marius

srb

« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:07 am »
Here is a chart comparing American Wire Gauge (AWG) to cross sectional area in mm²:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

1.04 mm² is equivalent to 17AWG, and the ampacity of that size wire sounds right, about 10A.
17AWG / 10A is the rating for an individual conductor, but it is also the total rating for the power cable; the conductors are not added together as they are legs of the completed power circuit.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #36 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:14 am »
Thanks Steve,

So at the moment  i have a power cable with 3 wires of 1,0 mm2. Wouldn't i need to add that up to 3 mm2? resulting in a AWG of about 12/13  :scratch:

If James speaks of 14 AWG, that translates
to 2,08 mm2, which is substantially smaller than what i have now (if one adds up the 3 wires), or substantially less, (if seen per wire....)

You see, i'm still confused
Marius

Here is a chart comparing American Wire Gauge (AWG) to cross sectional area in mm²:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

1.04 mm² is equivalent to 17AWG, and the ampacity of that size wire sounds right, about 10A.
17AWG / 10A is the rating for an individual conductor, but it is also the total rating for the power cable; the conductors are not added together as they are legs of the completed power circuit.

Steve

srb

« Reply #37 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:28 am »
So at the moment  i have a power cable with 3 wires of 1,0 mm2. Wouldn't i need to add that up to 3 mm2? resulting in a AWG of about 12/13  :scratch:

If James speaks of 14 AWG, that translates
to 2,08 mm2, which is substantially smaller than what i have now (if one adds up the 3 wires), or substantially less, (if seen per wire....)

No, again the conductors are send and return paths for the alternating current in a completed circuit loop, so you have an ~ 17AWG power cord.

Your cord only needs to be half the size of what we would use in the US and Canada with 120VAC for the same watts power consumption, as your cord only needs to carry half the amount of current (with twice the volatage), and that's why the equivalent US/Canada power cord would be 14AWG.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:32 am »
Great, so im good...  :thumb:

Why would i need only half the size though? We're on 230 v, wouldn't we need double of what us/Canada would on 120V?
forget i posted this please... :oops: :oops:  didnt read as i should have had. sorry.

Thanks Steve.

Last question on this: it doesnt harm either does it, to use thicker cables then needed.... I didnt dump my other cables yet, easy to fix if needed.
Marius

No, again the conductors are send and return paths for the alternating current in a completed circuit loop, so you have an ~ 17AWG power cord.

Your cord only needs to be half the size of what we would use in the US and Canada with 120VAC for the same watts power consumption, as your cord only needs to carry half the amount of current (with twice the volatage), and that's why the equivalent US/Canada power cord would be 14AWG.

Steve

srb

« Reply #39 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:51 am »
Last question on this: it doesn't harm either does it, to use thicker cables then needed.... I didn't dump my other cables yet, easy to fix if needed.

No, it just costs more money to use thicker wire.  Many audiophiles (and Bryston power amp owners!) use heavier gauge cords in the 7AWG to 12AWG range (which would be equivalent to using 10AWG to 15AWG or 5.26mm² to 1.65mm² for you 230VAC users).

Technically larger wire has less resistance and therefore less voltage drop across it, but it's kind of negligible when dealing with short lengths like 1m - 3m.  I don't personally spend a lot of money on power cords, but I do usually use larger gauge wire than necessary, because what the heck?  ;)

Steve