Hammond Chassis for Coronet 2

billwjr

« on: 28 Oct 2004, 11:54 pm »
OK, so I got the Hammond chassis to put the $$$ into Auricaps. Unless the one I got was labeled wrong, it's 1/8" too small to put the PCB in. Naturally I found this out after it's drilled out. Arrrgh. So... I have a Bogan amp chassis to stuff it into, will the PCB pick up tranny hum if they are both inside the box? ie does the top of the chassis act as a radiated hum shield? The question behind the question is should I use the Hammond to make a partition.Thanx for any thoughts. Bill

Eric H

« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2004, 12:48 am »
Hi Bill,

Take a look at my Hammond chassis a few threads down - it can be done.  I've been meaning to post my experience with the Hammonds so since you ask here it is...  First - did you get the 12x8x2?  I tried that and there were numerous issues including I didn't like the 1/4" standoffs because the sockets stuck out too far; if you get the wrong brand of caps (nichicon, I think) they will be too tall; and there are serious space issues with the AC plug and wiring.  I ended up using my 12x8x2 chassis for practice making holes, painting, etc., and went with 12x8x3 instead.  That way you can make things essentially the same as if you use the more expensive chassis...   Then we come to the issue you mention - the board doesn't fit in the chassis!  My solution was to cut off the rear chassis tab and shave the side tabs down just a bit (mm or less).  Then the board will fit in and the bottom is held with screws through the side tabs.  A couple final notes - I'd highly recommend damping the chassis (I used a dynamat competitor called Tsunami, I think) and I used 5/8" standoffs to put the tops of the socket just below the top of the chassis.  Also, I used the AES RCA plugs, which are not mounted on the board.  I think you will run into fitment issues if you use the board mounted RCA's...  

Good luck (ask me questions now while it's still pretty fresh in my mind),
Eric

billwjr

What about tranny hum radiation???
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2004, 11:40 am »
I really don't want to blow another $25 on this. I have some nice Cardas RCA's from a DOA project, so jack placement isn't an issue. Any thoughts out there on hum shielding???

Eric H

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2004, 11:40 pm »
Hi Bill,

I didn't mean to say using the 12x8x2 chassis was impossible - just that there are issues...  since you've already got it drilled why don't you see how far you can get with it?  What have you got to lose (besides your time...)?

As for your other idea - I've never done an internal PT mount, or even seen one for that matter, but that doesn't mean it can't work.  I'd think you would want to shield it as best you could, especially for a phono stage.  Transformer orientation could be important, too...  one thing on your side is that the 370 PT runs nice and cool...  why can't you do an external mount on your Bogen chassis?  Oh well, I'm not much help...  maybe try a search over on the Audio Asylum tube/DIY board?  Good luck, Eric