Dodd Phono Pre Owners??

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Dodd Phono Pre Owners??
« on: 12 Mar 2016, 03:07 am »
Curious how many at AC use Gary's phono preamp?  I know he didn't push them, but they are nice pieces.  Also, what tubes are you using?

Scott

S Clark

Re: Dodd Phono Pre Owners??
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2016, 11:44 pm »
Let me try this again.  Is there anyone in AC using this phono stage?

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2016, 01:23 pm »
I am using this phono preamp.  I think it is fantastic!  I used Amperex Golden Globe tubes in it when I was using a solid state amp.  I have since gone over to a tube amp and found the Golden Globe tubes to be a bit too warm.  Amperex Bugle Boys now strike up the right balance.  The Dodd is one of my favorite components.   :thumb:

I use the Dodd with a Denon DLS1 moving coil, so I use a Hagerman Piccolo head preamp.
Bob

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2016, 05:24 pm »
Back in maybe 08-09, I had a Gyrodec, a Dynavector 20H, and the Dodd Phono.

It provided me with many hours of enjoyment. The Dodd Phono was excellent. I sold it on audiogon maybe 5 years ago. I hope the owner is still enjoying it.  :thumb:

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2016, 06:12 pm »
Back in maybe 08-09, I had a Gyrodec, a Dynavector 20H, and the Dodd Phono.

It provided me with many hours of enjoyment. The Dodd Phono was excellent. I sold it on audiogon maybe 5 years ago. I hope the owner is still enjoying it.  :thumb:

I bought mine in 03-09.  If your name is Paul then I probably bought yours.  If so, I am.  :D

Bob

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2016, 10:06 pm »
I've been happy with mine, but haven't done much tube rolling.  Comparing the rocket 6n1p that came with it to a set of JAN Slyvania 6dj8's, the Russian tubes were better.  Curious what others have tried.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2016, 11:57 pm »
I don't have one but I certainly wouldn't mind finding one. It should be a perfect match with my Dodd Battery Powered Tube Buffer (currently using a Pro-Ject Phono Box DS+).

Mike

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2016, 01:40 am »
My suspicion is that they are going to hard to come by.  Keep track of those of us that have them and send us a PM occasionally to see if anyone has succumbed to audio nervosa.  You might pick one up in a moment of weakness. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2016, 03:48 am »
My suspicion is that they are going to hard to come by.  Keep track of those of us that have them and send us a PM occasionally to see if anyone has succumbed to audio nervosa.  You might pick one up in a moment of weakness.

Yep. Figured as much. I got both my Dodd DAC and tube buffer by checking the training post at the right time

Mike

spacedghost

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2019, 07:06 pm »
Hello All

I’ve had the Dodd phono pre for a long time,but I’ve recently upgraded my TT that has a MM cartridge and I don’t remember if it accepts both MC and MM?

I know this thread had been dormant for awhile, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Shaun

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2019, 07:23 pm »
The Dodd is built for MM or higher output MC cartridges.  Gary used a Sumiko Blackbird for his voicing on the design, and it's a 2.5 mV output.  Depending on the output of your cartridge, you may need a step up transformer to get the best results. 

spacedghost

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2019, 07:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

So I have the clear audio virtuoso ~ 3.6 mV and I was getting a muffled (no highs) output.   Luckily I have a moon lp3 that I switched in and everything sounds good.    Maybe I’m having issues with the tubes?

Thanks

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2019, 08:16 pm »
That's very possible, especially if they are the original tubes that Gary put in there.  A set of 6n1p tubes are still dirt cheap.
There's a quad on Ebay from the Ukraine for $20 shipped!   

spacedghost

« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2019, 08:27 pm »
Yeah I’m going to get some on the way.   The moon is ok, but seems quite a bit harsher than the Dodd.

Thanks again

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2019, 09:03 pm »
Yeah I’m going to get some on the way.   The moon is ok, but seems quite a bit harsher than the Dodd.

Thanks again
Do a little homework.  Some prefer one Russian brand over another.  And there's not really much difference in cost.

spacedghost

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2019, 05:58 pm »
I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving with family and friends.

So the troubleshooting continues....   I have this paired with Gary’s pre, and I don’t remember if a certain input needed to be used with the phono stage?   I’m grasping, but even with new tubes I’m getting very low output.   No issues with the Moon phono stage (just not the same awesome sound).

I’m hoping to have an obvious aha moment, but I’m dreading a faulty solder joint on one of the tube connectors, Cap or something that I don’t want to dive into ... haha

Shaun

spacedghost

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2019, 06:50 pm »
Aha moment achieved!!! 

Luckily I saved all my email conversations with Gary and I found that he sent me 100Ohm resistors to make my original MC cart work.  There are 2 resistor standoffs where you can change between based on cart type.    So my question now is do I need 47k resistors to make the MM work?   Also 0.5 watt or 1.0? 

Resistor top middle

spacedghost

« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:03 am »
FYI

47k resistors did the trick!!! 

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

Shaun

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2019, 12:24 am »
Thanks for the info.  Mine has always been used with MM, and was unaware it could be used with MC cartridges.  I'll have to play around with mine now.   :thumb:

Chewbacca

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2021, 05:24 pm »
So... any of you guys looking to sell yet??? :green: