Trigger question

Rod_S

Trigger question
« on: 9 Mar 2016, 10:20 pm »
I have a question related to chaining multiple amps together starting from my SSP to have them remotely turned on via the triggers. Can more than two amps be chained together after the SSP?

For the 1st time ever I hooked 3 together and before I hooked up the 3rd amp the original two power on just fine. When the 3rd was connected the 1st amp in the chain turns on then immediately starts making a continuous click click click click noise which was causing the 2nd amp in line to turn on and off continuously. All amps turn on and run properly via manual power up.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Trigger question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2016, 10:59 pm »
I have a question related to chaining multiple amps together starting from my SSP to have them remotely turned on via the triggers. Can more than two amps be chained together after the SSP?

For the 1st time ever I hooked 3 together and before I hooked up the 3rd amp the original two power on just fine. When the 3rd was connected the 1st amp in the chain turns on then immediately starts making a continuous click click click click noise which was causing the 2nd amp in line to turn on and off continuously. All amps turn on and run properly via manual power up.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod

Please forward this to Mike.
mpickett@bryston.com.

james

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2016, 12:50 am »
Assuming that the source is sending a 12V DC signal to the amp, probably what is happening is that the third amp is causing the trigger signal support circuit to drop below its turn on threshold voltage due to the unanticipated current demands from the third amp as all three of the amps trigger circuits probably are in parallel and drawing current.  The third amp turns on, current draw is now too much, trigger voltage goes down, amp turns off, causing trigger voltage to go up again, and issue repeats.

Just my educated guess.

Frank

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2016, 01:28 am »
Retracing my steps, when it happened the 1st time I actually hadn't yet connected the 3rd amp in the chain however I had connected the trigger out cable from the 2nd amp so it wasn't actually connected to anything on the other end i.e. the 3rd amp. So I thought that's what the problem was and I immediately shut everything down, connected the trigger cable to the 3rd amp and it happened again.

I then looked very carefully at the wires to make sure neither of the 2 input wires going to each amp were touching each other, did the same for the output wires then made sure the input wires weren't touching the output wires. All was good, I turned everything on and it happened again. So I just set them all to manual and went on about my business :)

After reading the above comment instead of turning the entire system on I decided to just experiment with the amps. Turning on the Lexicon triggered the 4 which then triggered the 1st 7 then the 2nd 7 came on. OK weird, it works now however I didn't mess around with the wires so what gives. I then shut the Lexicon off and then turned on the entire system and dang it, the problem came back. So what 's different? Well the Lexicon has 3 triggers, one power on trigger which is what is connected to my 4 and it also has two programmable triggers which I use to turn my 28's on in separate 10 second delays.

So getting back to the above comment I think what might be happening is that once all triggers are in play this is to much for the Lexicon to supply and it's the power trigger that starts acting up. The two 28's aren't exhibiting this issue so their triggers seem to be ok.

Do you think if I just move one amp off the power on trigger and chain it to either of the 28's the problem might go away? Or because I'm still using the same number of amps simply moving where one gets triggered from makes no difference because the overall voltage remains the same?

werd

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2016, 01:56 am »
Hello

I like your problems ...   :D. In your last post when your turned off your amps did you shut down the rockers too? The reason  I ask my 4Bsst/2 use to not turn on if I didn't follow the turn on sequence right. I had to plug in first then rocker then soft start or else it would not turn on. If I plugged it in and had the soft start on when engaging the rocker it would not work. I remember when I first got my 4B it would not turn on.  It took awhile for me to fluke off the sequence. It was weird. Might be related but I like your 10sec delay idea. That is probably what it is.

Rod_S

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2016, 10:20 am »
Yeah I've certainly encountered the correct power on sequence frustration you mention and have been left scratching my head in the past. Also what can complicate things is if you don't have the External/Local switch in the correct position. The 10 second delay set up in my Lexicon MC-12 on both assignable triggers doesn't seem to be contributing. I'll play around some more either this evening or on the weekend by doing like I mentioned above, have the power on trigger just send to the 7's, and move the 4 over to one of the 28's, if the problem persists, just for the sake of a full test I'll move it to the other 28. The next test I guess could be to move one of the 28's over to the power on trigger and then move the 4 (and two connected 7's) over to one of the assignable triggers.

Rod_S

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2016, 07:49 pm »
I sent an e-mail off to Lexicon to see what they have to say. I guess no point in trying to make it work if they come back with an easy answer as to why it isn't working and won't work with 5 amps.

Rod_S

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2016, 07:52 pm »
Hey drummermitchell, Have you read this thread? You are running 5 Bryston amps as well, how are you turning yours on? Via triggers similar to what I'm trying to do? If so did you run into any issues?

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2016, 12:26 am »
OK, I finally have everything working the way I want it but there was a catch. I heard back from Lexicon and they had me run through some connection options to check that all amps are working properly on their own from the main power on trigger with just a single amp connected. Everything checked out. I then wanted to retest what I did yesterday when I had 3 amps properly all turning on from the main power on trigger but without the assignable triggers in play. Well the test failed this time. Very frustrating. The failure once again was on the 1st 7 which was being fed by the 4. So what I did next was simply connect the 4 to the 2nd 7 and then from there over to the 7 that was causing the issue. It worked. I then brought the 2 assignable triggers online to trigger the 28's and everything works.

So it seems I'm having some really bad luck with these new 7's as it sure seems like there is an issue in the trigger circuitry, particularly with the trigger input. Since I was able to find a satisfactory compromise I guess there is no need to send the amp off for service.

Rod_S

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2016, 02:44 am »
Just a quick correction to the above, the issue would be in the trigger output not the input as I stated.

Wim J

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2016, 02:36 pm »
Just use one of these:

And you can handle 4 output-  and 8 input triggers signals and add delays and other conditions. It puts no strain on existing trigger outputs, and provides enough and stable power output to input triggers.
There are extension modules available if you need more ins and/or outs.