Shipping cd player to Australia from US

stvnharr

« on: 28 Oct 2004, 06:53 pm »
In the near future I will be shipping a cd player to Australia from the US.  I did a search here and found a thread from last March, and it seems the key to customs is 1k AUD.  Shipping cost with Postal Service is lots less than say Fedex.
Anybody have any experience here, and have any tips on things to avoid, things to do, etc.
Any information is highly appreciated.
BTW, the player is question is a personal item that I've had for awhile, not something I just purchased.

Rocket

shipping ot oz
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2004, 12:07 am »
Hi,

I definitely wouldn't use fedex as you will be hit with ridiculous added customs fees on top of gst and customs import duty.  Combined the tax rate is 15% for these 2 duties.  If you send it by courier the taxes are charged once the product is over $500au.

As you indicated if you use normal priority mail the taxes are charged once you declare the item to be over $1000au.

If the unit is secondhand i would declare it as a lower rate and you shouldn't be charged with any fees.

regards

rocket

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Shipping cd player to Australia from US
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2004, 12:48 am »
Quote from: stvnharr
In the near future I will be shipping a cd player to Australia from the US.  I did a search here and found a thread from last March, and it seems the key to customs is 1k AUD.  Shipping cost with Postal Service is lots less than say Fedex.
Anybody have any experience here, and have any tips on things to avoid, things to do, etc.
Any information is highly appreciated.
BTW, the player is question is a personal item that I've had for awhile, not something I just purchased.

USPS Express Mail is the way to go.

George

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2004, 01:07 am »
If you have owned the unit for more then 12 months, then you shouldn't have to pay any duty or GST. (I'm pretty sure that was the case when I moved 18 months ago, anyway). I would write that on the customs declaration.

DSK

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2004, 01:20 am »
Hi Steven,
See http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4368 for details on applicable customs duties and GST calculation etc.

Typically, 5% customs duty is charged on a purchase value of A$1k or more and 10% GST will be charged if it calculates to more than a certain amount (A$50 from memory).  If you ship via UPS or Fedex they will also charge you a customs clearance fee and you may need to pay the duties before delivery. Alternatively, you may receive delivery then a customs invoice in the mail later ...I've had both happen. If via USPS, it will be delivered to your local post office where you can pay the duties and collect the package (you will need to show photo ID).

I'm not sure that there is much you can do to minimise duties, although I've heard of suppliers sending an invoice with the package for a lower amount than the real price. Problem here is that you then can't insure the package for the full amount and are out of pocket if there is any damage during transit.

However, if this is an item that you have owned for some time (did you live in the US for a while?), you may not be subject to these rates. It would be worth giving Customs a call to discuss.

I've also had good experiences with USPS, fast and damage-free. As always, ensure things are packed very well.

stvnharr

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2004, 04:13 am »
Thanks for the tips!!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2005, 03:33 pm »
I just shipped a 60 lb. tube amp to Australia via UPS Expedited. It seems that anything over $1k is where you get hit with the heavy duties. Being a CD player, I would also recommend USPS Global services as you avoid a lot of red tape and paperwork. Do make note that it is a used product over 12 months old.

jules

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2005, 11:35 pm »
stvnharr,

I agree with pretty much all that has been said above. It's also true that since early this year the tariff on imports from the US [US made] has been removed because of the free trade agreement.

USPS Express Mail has always worked best for me both above and below the $1k mark. UPS charges a remote zone fee [very arbitrary as far as I'm concerned] of about $40US [sorry, can't find exact figue at the moment] plus the $49 Customs  entry fee for anything over about $150. They are also difficult to deal with. Avoid them.

For anyone going above $1k Customs are qute helpful and I suggest you get their blurb beforehand and fill out the massive 80+ questionaire in advance to save delays. Having this information in advance clarifies the sort of info you need to have from the exporter [eg weight of package and details sufficient to work out tariff classifications].

jules

stvnharr

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2005, 11:49 pm »
I shipped my sacd player last November.  I used USPS Global.  It came in about 7 days.  I had to pay 67AUD for GST.  I declared a value of 400USD on a "used cd player". Perhaps I should have specified the actual age, and maybe could have avoided the GST, dunno.  
Customs, or someone, did open the box to ascertain that it indeed had a cd player inside.
I was just pleased that it arrived and in perfect working order.

jules

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2005, 12:16 am »
:)  ... have to agree on that last bit about arriving in good order. In a way that's all that matters but while waiting there's always that niggling knowledge that a small percentage aren't going to make the journey safely. In that sense I don't think it matters much which one of the bunch you choose.

I reckon the couriers prey on that and the fact that it's hard to negotiate problems/costs when they are an international issue. They can just pluck a figure out of the air and there's no way to challenge it.

jules

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2005, 12:25 am »
Hi.

If you use usps priority airmail the limit goes up to $1000au/$750us without having to pay gst etc.

Global express use fedex and you have to pay fees at a lower rate ($350au?) using a courier.

Definately avoid dhl as they charge customs clearance fees.

regards rod

ps i pay enough taxes without paying more than i have to  :) .