cleaning tarnished interconnects and speaker terminals

stereoal

I have several Audioquest speaker cables and interconnects terminated with silver-plated connectors. Over the years, they became quite tarnished. I have just discovered that the tarnish on the banana plugs and RCA connectors can be easily removed with a pink pencil eraser followed by a cleaning with 99% alcohol.  :D I'm wondering what my fellow Bryston owners use. Does anyone believe that removing the tarnish will improve the sound?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: cleaning tarnished interconnects and speaker terminals
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2016, 11:49 am »
I have several Audioquest speaker cables and interconnects terminated with silver-plated connectors. Over the years, they became quite tarnished. I have just discovered that the tarnish on the banana plugs and RCA connectors can be easily removed with a pink pencil eraser followed by a cleaning with 99% alcohol.  :D I'm wondering what my fellow Bryston owners use. Does anyone believe that removing the tarnish will improve the sound?

Yes you really have to keep an eye on silver connections and clean them regularly as corrosion can cause poor conductivity and in some cases even a diode effect.

It is one of the reasons we use heavily gold plated (not flash gold) connections on all our products. Gold to gold connection will last a lifetime.

James

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:59 pm »
DeoxIT contact cleaner.  I clean all connections once a year.

Don P.

Spyman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2016, 11:38 pm »
That's what I use. I think it makes a difference...subtle, but it's there.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2016, 12:27 am »
I avoid using parts that corrode, but if I had silver plated parts I'd consider cleaning them then using the Caig 100% solution. It will coat the part and extend cleaning intervals quite a bit.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2016, 08:23 am »
Some people will go a step further and use various conductive/lubricating thingies (yes, that's the technical term) like Silclear or Stabilant22 to improve the connection.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2016, 05:22 pm »
Silver Oxide is almost as conductive as bare Silver. Where you get problems is when the corrosion is the result of environmental chemicals that place a film of other material (non-silver) on the conductor. The greater the environmental pollution where you live, the more often you need to address the issue.

Copper Oxide is a poor conductor so copper to -whatever connections need attention. Gold to Gold is fine but again if there is an environmental coating of pollutants, there can still be issues needing attention.

Stabilant22 et al are coatings that act as a barrier to the environmental pollution issue.

The other problem with Gold is it is best if there is no Gold at any solder points. Either the plating or flash is selectively applied, or special attention to the soldering process and depending on the thickness of the Gold outer layer, special solder might be used if it is necessary to solder a connection point that contains Gold plating or flash.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2016, 06:15 pm »
Copper reacts readily with oxygen to create copper oxide, however silver sulfide is the most common corrosive film formed indoors on silver.  The rate of corrosion depends on the concentration of atmospheric and environmental sulfur gases and humidity.

Audiophile silver cable manufacturers would have you to believe that silver tarnish is not a problem, but aerospace users of silver plated wire, terminals and contacts used in satellites and other military applications have extensively studied silver sulfide corrosion.

Silver sulfide (and/or silver oxide) are conductive in small thicknesses, but by the time you can visibly see the buildup as tarnish, it is usually thick enough to be quite a bit less conductive and can occur in as little as 1 to 6 months.  Relative Humidity was found to be a major factor, as increasing RH from 5% to 75% resulted in a growth rate of 3 to 10 times.

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2016, 06:43 pm »
Copper reacts readily with oxygen to create copper oxide, however silver sulfide is the most common corrosive film formed indoors on silver.  The rate of corrosion depends on the concentration of atmospheric and environmental sulfur gases and humidity.

Audiophile silver cable manufacturers would have you to believe that silver tarnish is not a problem, but aerospace users of silver plated wire, terminals and contacts used in satellites and other military applications have extensively studied silver sulfide corrosion.

Silver sulfide (and/or silver oxide) are conductive in small thicknesses, but by the time you can visibly see the buildup as tarnish, it is usually thick enough to be quite a bit less conductive and can occur in as little as 1 to 6 months.  Relative Humidity was found to be a major factor, as increasing RH from 5% to 75% resulted in a growth rate of 3 to 10 times.

Steve

Yup, I've built cables with air dielectric and cotton and after a few years the silver wire is completely black and the copper wire is a dull brown. UPOCC silver tarnishes much more slowly but after 5 years or so shows tarnishing but isn't black like the regular silver wire. This is in Colorado with relatively low humidity.

I don't understand how some cable companies sell cables that allow the wires to tarnish, any cotton or air dielectric type cable is going to do this and the sound is likely to change over time as a result.

I did build a cable with nitrogen dielectric, this is a good solution but expensive and just a little better vs regular teflon insulation....

-------------------

Also, I have SilClear, Mapleshade's contact enhancer and it changes the sound quite a bit, unfortunately it sounds like fairly low quality silver wire was added to the system. Some may like it but beware of this issue and never apply so much it can run, people have ruined gear this way too. Personally, I'd stick to Caig.