Will we ever see a multi-chassis preamp from Bryston?

techguy0192

James,

The current BP26, with the external power supply, could be considered somewhat a 2 chassis preamp.  However, has anyone at Bryston considered a true mono design with each channel as a separate unit and a separate control unit?  Something similar to what Pass Labs does with some of their preamps.  With the Cubed series improvements, I was just thinking of what could be in the plans for a successor to the BP26.  Such a preamp would provide the ultimate in channel separation and take advantage of the dual-mono design used in all Bryston amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Will we ever see a multi-chassis preamp from Bryston?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2016, 12:49 am »
James,

The current BP26, with the external power supply, could be considered somewhat a 2 chassis preamp.  However, has anyone at Bryston considered a true mono design with each channel as a separate unit and a separate control unit?  Something similar to what Pass Labs does with some of their preamps.  With the Cubed series improvements, I was just thinking of what could be in the plans for a successor to the BP26.  Such a preamp would provide the ultimate in channel separation and take advantage of the dual-mono design used in all Bryston amps.

Hi

We have not found the 2 chassis design adds any performance advantages and does cost a lot more due to separate chassis etc. All our preamps use discrete Class A circuits and are kept totally separate inside a single chassis. 

james

techguy0192

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2016, 12:53 am »
Hi

We have not found the 2 chassis design adds any performance advantages and does cost a lot more due to separate chassis etc. All our preamps use discrete Class A circuits and are kept totally separate inside a single chassis. 

james

Thanks for the info.

This makes me question how necessary multi chassis amps and preamps are.  Just audiophile bling and marketing? 

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2016, 01:07 am »
I think there are instances where multiple chassis are utilized because it would cost too much (or cut into profit margins too much) to build a new / larger chassis (to fit the components of a larger design in one's product line). So the alternative is to configure one's current stock chassis as necessary, ie use two or more chassis to make do. Marketing just puts a spin on this design/cost/logistics compromise in order to make it seem as though utilization of multi chassis was the original / optimal plan. It's smoke and mirrors. Deceiving, but not necessarily deceitful.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2016, 02:47 pm »
Thanks for the info.

This makes me question how necessary multi chassis amps and preamps are.  Just audiophile bling and marketing?

I think it's a matter of counting Smarties before you eat them. There's no point in doing so.

Cheers!
Antun