Omega Supercharged 3XRS's and NuPrime IDA-8 Integrated Amp

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I have had my Omega's Supercharged 3XRS's for a little over a month now and am simply amazed by them. What a speaker Louis built! I plan on posting a review in the near future. But this thread is in regards to getting the perfect amp for my Omega's.  I am running a Fleawatt TPA-3116 which is superb match,  I can't believe what $200 can buy you! But I know there is a little more out there and have been really researching and talking to multiple people.  I have narrowed it down to 2 amps.  The Decware SE84 UFO and the Nuprime IDA-8. Both amps retail for the same price.  $995 but I am able to get $100 off of the Nuprime. I am really leaning towards the Nuprime with all the technology in it,  the amazing built in dac. It's got the speed and dynamics of a class D amp and 100 watts per channel but I have read that it has the warmth of a tube amp.  Also it has a remote which is a very nice convenience.  There is a complete thread on it over in the Nuprime section.  What do you guys think?

Nocturne79

Re: Omega Supercharged 3XRS's and NuPrime IDA-8 Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2016, 05:12 pm »
Hello first off let me say I have not heard the decware se84 amp but I did have the Nuprime Id-8 for a short while and I thought it sounded really good with my omegas, though it was major over kill for what is needed. The nuprime is definitely on the warm side but not muddy in anyway, and also its really nice about the bluetooth option if you just want to control music from you phone.  It is a very nice compact size too.  I have a decware setup of MKIV torii as primary amp for my outlaw omegas and I find it to be a fantastic combo, I really like tubes, and again still overkill lol.

I had got the nuprime because I was looking for an all in one solution for my computer and decware trapezium speakers.  As a all in one solution I dont think you can beat the nuprime but if you already have a source you really like then I would lean toward a separate amp,  I am partial to tube amps and decware, though I have no affiliation with the company other than buy their stuff  :D

Hope this gives some input if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can.  Enjoy

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2016, 06:04 pm »
One of the main advantages of owning Omegas is that you can drive them with low powered SET amps.  While I've played around with various conventional and class D amps on my Omegas, including a Nuforce DDA 100, if you value soundstage depth, layering and dimensionality, I have yet to find a solid state design that can convey the magic of what a good SET can do.

Unless you need the power, I'd go with the Decware.

Ultralight

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:18 am »
If you want to try SET on a budget, there's a $100 unit on Massdrop currently that some on this forum has tried and liked.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/appj-mini2013-6j1-6p1

I'm sure it is not up to the likes of the Decware Zen but at $100, and you should probably upgrade the stock tubes, could be a good way to test the SET sound out.

Just FYI.

One of the main advantages of owning Omegas is that you can drive them with low powered SET amps.  While I've played around with various conventional and class D amps on my Omegas, including a Nuforce DDA 100, if you value soundstage depth, layering and dimensionality, I have yet to find a solid state design that can convey the magic of what a good SET can do.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Feb 2016, 05:56 am »

Thank you so much for your feedback.  You and I have chatted a few times in the past few months and you have always given good advice.  I should just go with my gut instinct and go with the Decware.  I have been interested in Steve's amps for years and now owning the perfect speaker for that kind of amp,  well I guess it should be a no brainer.  But my main question is will the Decware be able to play demanding music like Metallica, Primus, NIN,  Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on with authority?  The TPA-3116 sounds fantastic with that genre of music. 

jorgen

« Reply #5 on: 29 Feb 2016, 10:16 am »
Dont wnnt to step on anyones toes or nothing. Part of the joy with these speakers are the fact that they punch above their weight, and to me its a bit backwards to keep looking "how cheap of an amp can you drive them with good results". To me these speakers deserves a good amplier, maybe even a great one. Some may want to discuss what a good amp is, but we can agree that you dont find a good amp for the shortest amount of money you can imagine. My first pair of Omega was in the +2000 USD range and it would be a shame to pair it with something in the 1/20 POS (price of speakers actually) and my rule of thumb would be to spend somewhere close to 1/1, and then the great bonus should be that if you spend 5k og 10k your speakers should keep up and give results

fleawattaudio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Feb 2016, 02:23 pm »
The Decware Zen has been around a long time.  All of the owners I know are a friendly bunch.  I would post in the Decware forum and see if anyone around you has one and can stop over for a visit with it.  They might also enjoy hearing your Omegas.   You can read forum threads about amplifier impressions until you are blue in the face, but nothing will confirm the sound flavor is for you like an actual listening session in your room, with your music, your source, cables and room acoustics.   I've owned two Zen amps, a taboo and CSP2 over the years and loved my time with each of them.  I bought all of them used, never had a problem with them, and didn't lose a dime on them when I passed them along to other listeners. 

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:34 pm »
  But my main question is will the Decware be able to play demanding music like Metallica, Primus, NIN,  Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on with authority?

It all will depend on your room size, how far away you sit from your speakers and how loud you like to listen.  What one person thinks is "playing with authority" may be more of a "no way, you've got to be kidding me" to another.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 29 Feb 2016, 04:03 pm »
Thank you so much for your feedback.  You and I have chatted a few times in the past few months and you have always given good advice.  I should just go with my gut instinct and go with the Decware.  I have been interested in Steve's amps for years and now owning the perfect speaker for that kind of amp,  well I guess it should be a no brainer.  But my main question is will the Decware be able to play demanding music like Metallica, Primus, NIN,  Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on with authority?  The TPA-3116 sounds fantastic with that genre of music.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think with the music you've listed, best more up to the TORII in the Decware line-up. As mentioned by most here, the Omegas are worthy of amplifiers well beyond the 1K range. I think you'd also appreciate the sense of ease and headroom provided by the additional power.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 29 Feb 2016, 07:44 pm »
I play all kinds of music on my Super Zen/Omega combos, and have never run out of power.  There is the odd amp out there that could be called a giant killer and any vintage of the SE84 are giant killers, in both sound and build.  It isn't outclassed by any speaker it has the power to drive, regardless of the price of that speaker.  As good as your Fleawatt is at $200, the SE84UFO is in a different class altogether.  The Wolf Ear Kitoki is also in the same class as the Decware.  I love good solid state, but my main event is still the flea powered SET - has been for going on seven years.

Where Class D beats most is, if like me, you live in a warm climate with long hot summers.  The Fleawatt, NuPrime, Temple etc. Class D amps IMO are the "go to" amps in the heat.  Class D would be useless if it didn't sound good, but good class D does sound good - it's come along way.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2016, 12:15 am »
Dont wnnt to step on anyones toes or nothing. Part of the joy with these speakers are the fact that they punch above their weight, and to me its a bit backwards to keep looking "how cheap of an amp can you drive them with good results". To me these speakers deserves a good amplier, maybe even a great one. Some may want to discuss what a good amp is, but we can agree that you dont find a good amp for the shortest amount of money you can imagine. My first pair of Omega was in the +2000 USD range and it would be a shame to pair it with something in the 1/20 POS (price of speakers actually) and my rule of thumb would be to spend somewhere close to 1/1, and then the great bonus should be that if you spend 5k og 10k your speakers should keep up and give results

I don't think anyone was suggesting going with a "cheap" amp. Inexpensive and value are different than cheap. Believe me, if you hear one of Derek's Fleawatt TPA-3116 amps, cheap isn't something that would come to mind. You would just say, wow, I can't believe this costs so little. And as far as the other suggestion about the $100 tube amp, I think he was just suggesting that to get an idea of what tube amps sound like without spending a lot of money first. 
I did not get these speakers to drive them with a cheap amp. You are right though, these speakers are very special and do deserve a great amp. It's just that they are such an easy speaker to drive that it opens up a variety of options for amplification. Regardless, I just had another conversation with Steve at Decware and he has assured me that the Omega's paired with the SE84 will rock out with any kind of music, so I have decided to order the SE84 UFO! Placing the order tomorrow and it will be about 10-11 weeks. So I get to enjoy my Fleawatt in my main system for another 2 months then move it to the bedroom where I will have some Omega bookshelf speakers in the near future.

Ultralight

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2016, 02:39 am »
Want to give another thumbs up for Fleawatt.

I'm currently running in a new Fleawatt and it really is very impressive for the dollar.  And even if it is not for the dollar.  Just a fine amp and if one is on a budget, is enough to be satisfyingly musical.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2016, 04:01 am »
Ultralight,

What Fleawatt did you get?  TPA-3116?  Any mods, pictures?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:17 am »
Want to give another thumbs up for Fleawatt.

I'm currently running in a new Fleawatt and it really is very impressive for the dollar.  And even if it is not for the dollar.  Just a fine amp and if one is on a budget, is enough to be satisfyingly musical.

I second that.  Take price out of the equation.  The Fleawatt is still a very fine amp. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:22 am »
A pair of Omega's,  a Fleawatt TPA-3116, a good source and some Monoprice cables and one could have an extremely musical and satisfying 2 channel audio system and never need anything else.  Except if you are me and looking for that last bit of magic and performance.   :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2016, 07:23 pm »
I play all kinds of music on my Super Zen/Omega combos, and have never run out of power.  There is the odd amp out there that could be called a giant killer and any vintage of the SE84 are giant killers, in both sound and build.  It isn't outclassed by any speaker it has the power to drive, regardless of the price of that speaker.  As good as your Fleawatt is at $200, the SE84UFO is in a different class altogether.  The Wolf Ear Kitoki is also in the same class as the Decware.  I love good solid state, but my main event is still the flea powered SET - has been for going on seven years.

Where Class D beats most is, if like me, you live in a warm climate with long hot summers.  The Fleawatt, NuPrime, Temple etc. Class D amps IMO are the "go to" amps in the heat.  Class D would be useless if it didn't sound good, but good class D does sound good - it's come along way.

Thats encouraging to hear. I too play all kinds of different music on my Omega and am confident that the Super Zen will have more than enough to make me smile. I don't play my music at ear bleed levels or anything, just want to know if I do want to have a little fun with raising the volume in my room that I can do so without worries of it not being abe to play loud. I barely have to turn up my current TPA -3116. And yeah, I know that the Decware is in a different class, and in 10-11 weeks, I will get to hear that for myself first hand. Spoke to Sarah yesterday and placed my order. Will let you guys know what I think once I receive it. In the meantime, will do some more critical listening with my Fleawatt and Omega's and post a review. This lifestyle is so much fun!!!! :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2016, 07:30 pm »
It all will depend on your room size, how far away you sit from your speakers and how loud you like to listen.  What one person thinks is "playing with authority" may be more of a "no way, you've got to be kidding me" to another.

Room isn't big at all. I sit about 10 feet away. And I like to listen at moderate levels, not rock concert loud but loud enough to make my wife complain.  :D

mrvco

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2016, 10:50 pm »
Has anyone here tried the Nuprime amplification (IDA-8 or STA-9) with Omega Speakers yet?  I'm very interested in this pairing for a simple, no-hassle system in our house (my main rig is sequestered in my home office where tubes aren't at risk).  I'd love to demo the IDA-8, but since there isn't a local dealer anywhere near me, I'd have to buy one and return it via a mail-order shop if I didn't want to keep it... which I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2016, 02:26 am »
From everything I have read. The IDA8 is a very high quality integrated amp. I was really torn between that and the Decware but man Iam 110% positive I made the right choice with the Decware. Wish I could chime in on how the Nuprime would sound but I would guess it would be the perfect hassle free all in one amp you are looking for.

mrvco

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2016, 03:54 am »
A Decware is definitely still on the list for my main HO rig.