Re: 65" 4K Visio or 55" LG OLED?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2016, 03:14 am »

Size matters!  ;)

Steve

This.

New2Audioguy2

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jul 2016, 07:49 pm »
Yes, it's primary...I no doubt agree that OLED picture quality is a lot better..just afraid that the size and fit of the TV in the space will look weird and too small for viewing distance, which I can move a foot closer to 10', but looking up at an angle, it's back to 11ft.

I can't afford or want to spend $5k on a 65" OLED> :nono:

I would just like to mention OLED have infinite contrast ratios, while LED TVs have the standard LCD 3:000:1 contrast ratio.
If you are watching TV in the evenings or at night, he OLED would be infinitely superior.

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2016, 08:30 pm »
I would buy the 65inch OLED and not look back. The sets I have seen in Best Buy were in brightly lit conditions and looked fine. No set is is really going to standup to being watched with direct sunlight on it. Most of us have better sense than to watch under these conditions.
 I am not putting one thin dime into 4K as I won't live long enough to afford the 120inch screen I will need to use at a 9ft. distance to see the added information 4K presents.  I am not going to sit close enough to an 80inch 4K screen to gain any benefit either.
4K is a marketing ploy to increase sales by promising increased resolution that the average consumer will never see as a result of set size purchased and typical viewing distances.
I would be happy with a 85inch 1080P OLED set with HDR and the other tricks that are in the pipe in the near future.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2016, 09:36 pm by *Scotty* »

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2016, 08:52 pm »
This helps with getting the benefits of 4k (depending on size and viewing distance) - http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

audioguy213

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2016, 09:00 pm »
OLED is VASTLY superior.

Last years models are on blowout now $2800 for the 65"
and about $1800 for the 50"

Oled EF9500 models. I would go for either of those.

wilsynet

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2016, 09:55 pm »
I wish there was a 60" OLED.  My spouse thinks 65" is too big and I think 55" is too small.

kingdeezie

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2016, 10:08 pm »
I wish there was a 60" OLED.  My spouse thinks 65" is too big and I think 55" is too small.

The 65 inch might seem less big with the advancements over the years. These TVs half almost zero bevel, so their overall size is smaller than a 65 inch TV from only three-four years ago.

The picture quality is totally worth it. 

audioguy213

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm »
The 65 inch might seem less big with the advancements over the years. These TVs half almost zero bevel, so their overall size is smaller than a 65 inch TV from only three-four years ago.

The picture quality is totally worth it.

This exactly.
My old 50" plasma had a huge 3" on every side bezel and was 7 inches thick.
The 65" OLED I just got is literally .25 inches thick and has nearly no bezel.
It weighs half as much, and even though the screen real estate is 70% more, it is not substantially larger than my old plasma.

In fact, my wife REALLY likes how thin it is and she doesnt mind the size at all, I think you will have similarly positive reactions in your own space.

youravhandyman

« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2016, 02:25 pm »
Hey, whichever one you choose make sure to use a tilt mount.  That would take care of the image issues
Kingdeezie was talking about though most new LCD have 170 degree viewing angles.  The tilt mount will make it more comfortable for you to watch as well.

If money is no object try a mount like https://www.dynamicmounting.com/

https://youtu.be/4_4UcRaePxA

tvyankee

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:15 pm »
Hey.

If they are out yet I'm not sure but I would wait if not and get a model that is HDR  compatible.  That is the way things are going. Big push but Smpte.

Just a thought.

tvyankee

« Reply #30 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:49 pm »
Btw.

I'm not sure that 4k is a marketing ploy as I work in the industry and I can tell you that many of the new sports and entertainment trucks that do live shows are now 4k and theyou are full ip based routers. No more coax just converters to video. I also think somewhere in the future you will see the hdmi interface go away and make way fiber or ethernet interface .

With that being said it's kinda like the last shit show we went thru when we converter over to HD. These things take time and a ton of money. Also it takes time to get the big cable companies on board to deliver the content.

Time will tell.

wilsynet

« Reply #31 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:10 pm »
It's a marketing ploy because you have to be sitting 5 feet away from a 55" TV and 6 feet away from a 60" TV to be able to make out any discernable difference between 1080p and 4K.  To be able to clearly differentiate 1080p from 4K, you probably need to be sitting 3-4 feet away.  Which no one does.

It doesn't matter that there's 4K source material, from a pixels point of view, you can't tell.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

viggen

« Reply #32 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:00 am »
i'd say if you watch a lot of movies likek batman begin or interstellar, definitely get the oled.  i just love my panny plamsa and consider going LED/LCD a step backwards.  my next "big screen" has to be oled.  there seems to be a lot of deals on lg oled of late too.

tvyankee

« Reply #33 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:10 am »
I don't really think it is. None of the the networks think it is. They are the first ones not to spend money if they don't have too. Nbc Sunday night football has been doing 4k for over 2 years. I am not saying it's the best or anything just that it is reality and it's not going away.

2 of my friends that I have worked with for 20 years  have been  asked by Smpte to pick a spec  that they will go with.

I am not sure about the marketing material you posted but that had no nothing to do with weather it will happen or not.

Not trying to get into it just letting you know it is here and there is no turning back.

Sit 5 feet or 25 feet it doesn't matter it's here.