Yoga cork block for component isolation

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Yoga cork block for component isolation
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2016, 02:50 am »
They're awfully big for putting under components as footers.  And pure cork is not the best sink for vibrations.  I suppose they would work to some degree, but you'd need large shelves to accommodate the added height.  Maybe something like this would be better http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140958.0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2016, 12:19 pm »
"Soft" footers need to to be highly compliant (squishy) under the load (weight) in question and reactive to the frequencies in question in order to function as expected.  Years ago a product called "Panda Feet" attempted to address these issues by offering different sized squishy marshmallow shapes, but even the creator admitted they were of no benefit.

Shape distortion of the footer under compression is how the footer works (by converting the induced vibrations into internal shearing force, producing a minisule amount of heat).

Most accessories are heavy on the pseudo-science but light on the facts backed by laboratory measurements (that apply to the relevant issues).  Frankly I'd lump cables, all kinds of supports, fuses, weights, etc. into that camp.  Audiophiles aren't trained in all these fields, so we have to rely on word of mouth who frankly we don't know all that well.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2016, 01:58 pm »
What about a constrained damping layer, which doesn't work by being highly compliant.  This untrained layman was under the impression that was the best isolation for audio components, of course I'm always willing to learn.

borism

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2016, 02:40 pm »
Like many things in audio it may be trial and error and these cork-rubber footers are cheap enough to try:
http://parksupplyofamerica.com/gproduct.php?id=DIVMP2C&fam=PZLFZCU4A8RF&addons=y

srb

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:00 pm »
"Soft" footers need to to be highly compliant (squishy) under the load (weight) in question and reactive to the frequencies in question in order to function as expected.

I still have to think that the DiversiTech Anti-Vibration pads, both the Rubber/Cork and E.V.A. Rubber/Foam varieties, being more designed for heavy equipment at a maximum load rating of 50 lbs. per square inch (or 800 lbs. maximum for a 2" X 2" set of 4) make better spacers than vibration dampeners when used for audio components in the 10 lb. to 100 lb. range.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:10 pm »
Most constrained damping layer products I'm aware of are just randomly trying to hit the right compliance/vibration combination with a variety of materials.  The constrained layer concept falls into the "does not apply here" category.

As Steve mentions, most - like the cork and neoprene blocks, are much too stiff to be of use for 99% of audio components.

With a minimum of three footers and an average component weight of say 15 pounds, each need only to support 5 pounds.

borism

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:18 pm »
I understand that current science may not be on my side of the argument for these cork/rubber footers but here is an empirical "shoot out" of some isolation devices:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1203/isolationshootout.htm