Anyone game to try these new coupling caps??

andyr

« on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:05 am »
It seems Chris ven Haus (of braided Cat5 cable fame) has now come out with some special coupling caps:
http://www.v-cap.com/

Anyone going to replace what they've got now to see whether it does sound better??!! .... Malcolm? .... Ginger? .... Kyrill?

Me, I'm as happy as a p.i.s. with my AKSAs driving my Bose speakers, so I can't see the point!   :lol:

Regards,

Andy

Lost81

« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:42 am »
Hi Andy,

I have 4 of these monsters in my possession now.
They are meant for one pair of my AKSA 100W Nirvana monoblocks.
I will be installing them together with the Nirvana Plus Upgrade though...
so a true before /after comparison will be difficult.

Now if I can only find the time to install them :mrgreen:

-Lost81

andyr

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:58 am »
Quote from: Lost81
Hi Andy,

I have 4 of these monsters in my possession now.
They are meant for one pair of my AKSA 100W Nirvana monoblocks.
I will be installing them together with the Nirvana Plus Upgrade though...
so a true before /after comparison will be difficult.

Now if I can only find the time to install them :mrgreen:

-Lost81
Tell me more, mate - why are they monsters ... are they physically large?  What uF do you have and why do you need 4 for 2 AKSA channels (I thought all you'd need would be the input cap ... which is C1, I think)?

Regards,

Andy

kyrill

Re: Anyone game to try these new coupling caps??
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2004, 09:16 pm »
Quote from: andyr
Anyone going to replace what they've got now to see whether it does sound better??!! .... Malcolm? .... Ginger? .... Kyrill?

Me, I'm as happy as a p.i.s. with my AKSAs driving my Bose speakers, so I can't see the point!   :lol:

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy

You will be surprised how good the AKSA will be sounding when you replace your Bose speaker.
i once had Bose too. The 901 MK II..

But to respond to your caps.
Have you seen the price?
As I will in the nearby future hard solder the GK-1 to the AKSA I will get rid of one coupling capacitor. No caps sound better than the most expensive caps when the safety properties of the caps are met.

ginger

G'day Guys
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2004, 06:32 am »
Reading thru' the recent posts for the first time in weeks.

Unfortunately my attention is not just splintered at the moment its more like fractured.

2 off Menno Vandervenne Super Triode Monoblocks
2 off Menno VDV100 variation Monoblocks using local feedback aropund the output valves
1 off Rogers Cadet 3 Clone for a bedroom amp
Fix the termite damage to the workshop floor
Progress the Zero cost Mod to the AKSA
All on the go at once - no bloody wonder I don't seem to be making much headway - so the caps will have to wait for another day/week/month/year.

To make matters worse on reading other posts here I find I've been deluding myself - since I worked on the 55N+ mod with Hugh I never actually bought an N+ kit just bits and pieces which lead toward the 55N+ final result - I just realised I've never done the power supply upgrade.

Oh well - It could be worse, I might be bored.

Cheers,
Ginger

P.S To top it off I got home from work Wed to find I'd fallen victim to the lastest Adelaide school boy trick which is to see how many letter boxes can be stolen from any one street - 25 from my street.
So last night I sank half a redgum railway sleeper into the ground and dynabolted a new letter box to the top. They may still be able to steal it (with a far amount of effort) but they should be easy to catch as they try to lug it down the street.

kyrill

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2004, 07:54 am »
Hugh: "A lot of talk recently about Chris Venhaus' new teflon V-caps. I have tried the TFT from RelCap at $US22.50 apiece almost two years back!! In the charge suckout position on the AKSA the result was mixed. Sensational midrange and top end, absolutely no bass. I was staggered. I have never seen or heard anything like it. But for an active system, specifically the top end amp, I had the impression the AKSA ranked with the best single ended tube amplifiers, and yet boasted an order of magnitude more power.... "

That is a nice tip Hugh.

Anyone else on "best" cap for bas and or midrange (tri-amping))