Sick Sub woofer

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Sick Sub woofer
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:25 pm »
I hear ya about the Yamaha subs, I have a dual 7" model with a small amp, I'll guess it might be the same 70 watt unit, and it's very musical.  Rated at 28hz low frequency limit, I've measured that in room albeit at limited spl's.  Definitely worth the $100.  And I'm getting that it's in a secondary system like mine is.  So your questions are well founded, for myself I'd just move on, but I see nothing wrong with you opening it up and trying to repair it.  Wish I knew something about the glues used in the formers, maybe a PM to Danny Richie at GR Research here on AC might help.

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2016, 08:19 pm »
I wonder if we have the same old sub Letitroll98?

I own an older dual 7 inch Yamaha sub - a YST-SW100 by memory.  I used one in the mid 90's with a set of Totem Rokk to great effect.  So good were the memories that I bought another one last year to use with my Maggies.

Very strong performance for music.  Not the best sub to rattle your floor joists - that's what my DIY dual 12 inch 500w monster is for (purely HT).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:42 pm »
Haha, yes I think that's the one.  And I used to run it with Maggie's as well, now in my bedroom.  Another piece of equipment that we've both owned.  What are you buying next so I know what to budget for.

Ironman

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2016, 08:03 pm »
LOL!  What are maggies?   Maybe I need to look into them?  Yamaha does some interesting stuff with speakers.  These YST SW015 really fill a room well.  Again I would love to get the larger 250/270 Watt version of these.  The deflection plate on the bottom seems to really do a lot.   I even put a old crappy speaker in the cab, which did not fit it, sounded good.  I am debating on getting a different speaker for it down the road.   It is for a system I have in my bedroom that I originally wanted for my art studio.   Bought it from money I made on art.  I was in an accident and since lost the use of my arm, so I am not able to make the big bucks anymore.  So budget is important.   

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2016, 11:17 pm »
Magneplanar speakers