Headphones w/mic for iphone recommendations

Ern Dog

Headphones w/mic for iphone recommendations
« on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:44 am »
Hi guys,
Can anyone recommend some light weight on the ear headphones with a mic so that I can use with my iphone?  I'd like to casually listen to music while I work with music stored on my iPhone 6s and be able to take phone calls too.  Budget is around $100 and they need to sound great (relatively, for an iphone source).  They must be either on or over ear.

Thanks a bunch!
Ernie

Ern Dog

Re: Headphones w/mic for iphone recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2016, 05:18 am »
Thanks Dale!  What's your connection with these headphones?

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:58 pm »
An on ear set of Senn Momentum used should fall in that budget.  I owned a set for a year and liked them.  One of their 2 cables has iPhone controls.  I would unmute and speak and was heard fine. 

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2016, 11:05 pm »
+1 on the Senn Momentum - I got a used pr for $135 before my knee surgery, am quite pleased with them.

An on ear set of Senn Momentum used should fall in that budget.  I owned a set for a year and liked them.  One of their 2 cables has iPhone controls.  I would unmute and speak and was heard fine.

Ern Dog

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2016, 02:19 am »
I think the Senn Momentum is the ticket for me.  I have a some Senn HD-600 that I really like but they done have the mic and aren't really designed for iphone driving it. 

Thanks guys

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2016, 02:19 pm »
I don't have the Momentums now; and forget if they actually have a mic or just iPhone controls?

Great portable on ears for sure. 

Ern Dog

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:57 pm »
Well I've had the Senn Momentum 2 (on ear) for a month now.  Love the mic feature.  When I make calls from my iphone, people always say they can hear me clearly.  These headphones are great for phone calls.  For music, they are not doing it for me.  They sound too dark, thick in the bass.  And the bass isn't tuneful bass, it's a one note bloaty bass.  Additionally, I find the on ear pads uncomfortable after an hour. 

So the search continues.  I need something with a mic feature for phone calls and sounds more open and natural for music.  I'll probably get over ear pads this time for more comfort.

Any other recommendations I should try?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2016, 06:54 pm »
There's the full sized and bluetooth versions that you could try.

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2016, 06:56 pm »
I plugged my Senn HD600 into my iphone and it sounded way better than the Momentums and super comfortable.  So for $18, I took a gamble on these replacement cables with a built in remote/mic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201054334910 
We'll see how these work out.  It could be a perfect solution if they work and sound decent.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2016, 09:25 pm »
Well the HD600/650 are certainly one of the best headphones you can get, though I wouldn't consider them portable or suitable for a work environment if there's other people/noise around.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2016, 09:49 pm »
Sennheiser have this mike as an accessory to add to its phones as HD800 etc