BDP pi

XMAN

BDP pi
« on: 19 Feb 2016, 03:24 am »
I Just got off the phone with my dealer getting an update on when my BDA 3 will arrive and the conversation led to digital players.  I was told the BDP USB is discontinued and a new player will come out as a BDP pi and will be half size. Is there any truth to this?  If so is there a place i can get some information on it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP pi
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2016, 10:09 am »
I Just got off the phone with my dealer getting an update on when my BDA 3 will arrive and the conversation led to digital players.  I was told the BDP USB is discontinued and a new player will come out as a BDP pi and will be half size. Is there any truth to this?  If so is there a place i can get some information on it?

Hi

Yes the BDP 1 USB has been discontinued and we are looking at doing a lower priced BDP digital player based on the Raspberry Pi. It will not be as sophisticated as the BDP2 but will be less expensive.

James

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2016, 04:35 pm »

and the berries are hifi

Krutsch

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2016, 05:27 pm »
Hi

Yes the BDP 1 USB has been discontinued and we are looking at doing a lower priced BDP digital player based on the Raspberry Pi. It will not be as sophisticated as the BDP2 but will be less expensive.

James

Hi James,

By "less sophisticated", does that mean a dedicated MPD player without extra services and USB output only?

Thanks, in advance.

EDIT: and, by the way, if the answer is 'yes', I think that is a very smart product decision.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2016, 05:46 pm »
Hi James,

By "less sophisticated", does that mean a dedicated MPD player without extra services and USB output only?

Thanks, in advance.

EDIT: and, by the way, if the answer is 'yes', I think that is a very smart product decision.

By less sophisticated I mean not as fast as the BDP-2 and can not handle as large a library. It will be a 1/3rd size chassis as well. As for outputs no Balanced out AES EBU or BNC.

james

Yitshak

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2016, 06:44 pm »
Hi James,

As I'm thinking later on adding Bryston players;

Compare to PC/MAC Will it offer noticble better SQ as BDP2 ?

What exact size of library is less then BDP2?
1000 to 2000 44.1/16 albums Could be handle by it?

Yitshak

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2016, 07:03 pm »
Hi James,

As I'm thinking later on adding Bryston players;

Compare to PC/MAC Will it offer noticble better SQ as BDP2 ?

What exact size of library is less then BDP2?
1000 to 2000 44.1/16 albums Could be handle by it?

Yitshak

Not sure on the Library size yet as still testing. 

Yes the sound quality will be excellent as it uses the same Linux operating system and MPD as the BDP-2.

james

Robert D

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2016, 07:06 pm »

and the berries are hifi

Mr Chris
I thought the berries were WiFi
Robert

vonnie123

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:03 pm »
Hi

James

Intel NUC based?  New design software? 

srb

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:12 pm »
Intel NUC based?

No, Raspberry Pi.  ;)

"The Raspberry Pi® is a single-board computer developed in the UK by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.  The design is based on a Broadcom BCM2835 system on a chip (SoC), which includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700MHz processor, VideoCore IV GPU, and 512 megabytes of RAM.  The design does not include a built-in hard disk or solid-state drive, instead relying on an SD card for booting and long-term storage"

If it's based on the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, then the processor is a Broadcom BCM2836.  The underlying architecture in BCM2836 is identical to BCM2835.  The only significant difference is the removal of the ARM1176JZF-S processor and replacement with a quad-core Cortex-A7 cluster.

vonnie123

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:18 pm »
Thank you.  I'll have to stay tuned on this one. I have the original version BDP-1.  Still works pretty well. 

JRiver looks to be developing a similar product.  Id pi......

Krutsch

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2016, 09:04 pm »
Thank you.  I'll have to stay tuned on this one. I have the original version BDP-1.  Still works pretty well. 

JRiver looks to be developing a similar product.  Id pi......

If Bryston develops a low-cost BDP-1 that still pays attention to clean power and mitigates electrical noise (translation: sounds great), they will have a giant killer on their hands.

Silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2016, 06:40 am »
I built a raspberry pi last year and have had Volumio software running on it, it is not a long way off my BDP-2 and only cost $100 AUD. I originally tried to run jriver on it (they have a release for it) but my lack of Linux knowledge led me to abandon it for the time being.

vonnie123

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2016, 08:38 am »
If Bryston develops a low-cost BDP-1 that still pays attention to clean power and mitigates electrical noise (translation: sounds great), they will have a giant killer on their hands.

I also run a JRiver Id 202 2tb server / renderer.  So either the JRiver pi or Bryston pi would work for me for a desktop setup.  One Difference will probably be the software.  JRiver is somewhat complicated at times, but does work well once you get it dialed in.

Jimmy71

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:24 pm »
Hi

James
Hi James will this player be Roonready also and when do you think this new bdp pi will be ready? Well approximately.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2016, 05:10 pm »
Hi James will this player be Roonready also and when do you think this new bdp pi will be ready? Well approximately.

Hi

Not sure on the Roon as that is still being discussed.

Be about 2 months on the smaller BDP.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2016, 11:27 pm »
BDP 3.14 ??

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2016, 12:25 am »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2016, 12:26 am »
Mr Chris
I thought the berries were WiFi
Robert

Nope, HiFi berries

plurn

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2016, 05:56 am »
I would suggest you consider avoiding the Raspberry Pi and Pi 2 as the basis for a moderately high end music player as the usb and ethernet set up is not great. All the usb and the ethernet goes over a single usb controller (might even be a single usb channel?) so bandwidth, and I expect hardware interrupts, are limited. So if you are using say a USB drive and a USB sound device, they will be competing for the single USB controllers capacity. Same if you use a network share and a USB sound device, they will be competing for the single USB controllers capacity. I am not a hardware engineer though so I could be wrong about this being an issue. Just seems like a potential issue that could be avoided by using alternate hardware.

I am sure there are many happy users of Raspberry Pi as music players, just that I would think this might not be suitable in a moderately high end commercial music player. On the other hand - it might be fine.

There are other devices similar to Raspberry Pi that do not have this limitation.

If you are creating your own hardware and you add in suitable USB and ethernet controllers then you would of course avoid this potential issue.

Looking forward to seeing what you produce.