Has anyone heard the new AC/DC remasters?

ZooDog

« on: 27 Feb 2003, 10:29 pm »
How are they?

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2003, 11:46 pm »
Mutt did not do a bad job in the first place.  His wife is a hotty as well

Rocket

ac/dc remasters
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:02 am »
hello,

i have a digitally remastered "back in black" cd.  if there is a new remastered cd i'd be interested, the cd i have is okay.  nothing special but it is reasonable.

regards

rod

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:05 am »
I've got Dirty Deeds, and it creams the original version.  I'm not the worlds biggest AC/DC fan, but I'll probably get Back In Black, For Those About To Rock, and Highway To Hell.  The new packaging is cool, but I prefer a regular jewel case: what the hell do you do if the cardboard box gets wet or wears out?

I know the issue of remasters has been kicked around on several message boards; some are good and some are just remastered with the levels pushed into clipping.  I think the AC/DC ones sound good, but I haven't heard 'em all.

I'm also not a KISS diehard, but my brother has the entire back cagalog of remasters, and they're a big improvement, too.  I'll probably get maybe seven or eight of 'em, just my more favorite albums.  I'm not a big fan of the newer stuff.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:06 am »
I would like to point out that the AC/DC ones have been remasterd twice in the last year or two! :evil:   Talk about a grab at the cash!

Andrew JC

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2003, 01:53 am »
I may have missed the boat here. I thought AC/DC recently signed a deal with Sony and new remasters were to be issued? I also figured Sony=SACD for the entire AC/DC catalog?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:05 am »
Hadn't heard that, but it would be cool.  Especially if they were labled in some way so prospective buyers would know they were SACSs! :wink:

Andrew JC

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2003, 01:23 pm »
Rob, This is what I was talking about. http://www.nyrock.com/worldbeat/12_2002/120602.asp

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2003, 01:32 pm »
I love AC/DC, I was amazed at Angus when I went to the concert.  He never left the stage for a break, and jumped and ran the whole time.  Oh did I mention that I think the producer on the Back in Black album has a hottie for a wife. :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2003, 09:06 pm »
Damn, I knew they were big, but I hadn't realized they'd topped 140 million!  Guess Sony made a big score.  It would be cool if they would reissue the back catalog on SACD, but again I don't know that I'd need 'em all.  It does make me hesitate to buy any more of them on CD for fear that in a year or two they'll be reissued again!

I did see AC/CD in concert once, on their "Who Made Who" tour in the 80's.  They were amazing, Angus especially.  The guy never stopped moving; back in the day, he estimated he put on about eight miles per night running around!  As a matter of fact, Queensryche opened for them in support of their "Rage For Order" album (and in fact, I thought Queensryche was better, tho the Thunder From Down Under rocked the house).

BTW, I don't know if you guys knew this, but I've heard that their old producer, Mutt Lange, is married to a real hottie! :P

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2003, 10:10 am »
I'm posting here with an update; since last posting I've bought "Back In Black" and "Highway To Hell".  I will go on record as saying the sound is amazing!  So vastly superior to the original that it isn't even funny.

What is funny is how much I love the music;  AC/DC is something that I've completely taken for granted.  I rarely ever toss in one of their discs, but when I do, it's hard to skip a song!  They truly are a breed apart, transcending genres and demographic groups.  Who will admit to not liking at least a few AC/DC songs?

I may actually have to buy a few more than I'd earlier intended...

Rocket

post deleted
« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2003, 01:19 pm »
post deleted

Rocket

ac/dc remasters
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2003, 01:21 pm »
hello,

do you have the catalogue numbers for the cd and company which has done the remastering?  my remastered version is a few years old now it is pretty average compared to some other older cd's that i have.

btw i was reading that an australian film company is going to make a documentary on ac/dc.  they'll be shooting it here in perth later this year.   the band originally started here in the early 70's, bon scott's ashes are buried here at the fremantle cemetery.

i saw ac/dc live in 1980 with the new singer brian johnson, he was good but bon scott was just irreplaceable.

regards

rod

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:44 am »
Using Dirty Deeds as an example the older remaster I have is ATCO 92414-2, remastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling sound.  The new Epic remaster is EK80202, by George Marino at Sterling Sound.  I wish I could say that the newer Epic version is heads above the older one, but I don't really feel it is.  Dirty Deeds was just a lot lower budget effort, and it just doesn't sound as good Back In Black or Highway to Hell.

I agree that Bon Scott was the man, but Brian Johnson has filled in ably.  Of course, despite being the "new guy", he's been in AC/DC far longer that Scott was!

Later this month, Who Made Who and For Those About To Rock will be out.  I think that will be about as far as I go with the remasters.  Mayber I might get Fly On The Wall, we'll just have to wait and see.

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2003, 12:57 pm »
hello rob,

thanks for the details i'll see if i can chase down a copy here in oz.  however knowing oz like i do it'll be awhile before the new remasters arrive.

btw johnson has done a good job as lead singer, not many i think could have successfully replaced bon scott.

regards

rod