auditioning speakers ……..

twitch54

auditioning speakers ……..
« on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:03 pm »
I've been listening through planar / electrostatics for over thirty years (currently M/L Spires) yet every 3-5 years I get the itch to see if there is something better at or near my price point ……….. so far there hasn't been. The past couple of weeks I've been at it again, this time with a few 'eye openers' ……….

1) Bryston (flagship) Model T floorstanders - while they have gotten a lot of positive feedback, they are not for me, at moderate listening levels they just seem dull ……….YMMV

2) JBL Synthesis 1400's - Wow …….these babies caught me by surprise, going back for an extended listening shortly. Yeah they are 'funky' looking, but very musical.

3) Revel F208's - another WOW…….might just be the best sub 10k speaker (box) I've ever heard …….. and they actually msrp for 5k ! I now want to hear the Studio 2's so as to confirm the triple price differential. The Salon 2's are too pricey for my budget.

4) Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT - have not listened to them as of now but plan to soon.

So, comments from those that might have , own or listened to any of the above ……..

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: auditioning speakers ……..
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:18 pm »
You mentioned a PRICE point and yet you didn't list it?

Some additional info on room or equipment or at least are you a heavy metal thrasher or do you only listen to Gillian Welch?

Alan

srb

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:41 pm »

Given the speakers listed, the retail "price point" seems to span a range from ~ $5,000 to $14,000.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2016, 08:15 pm »

Alan, my price point was what relates to my present Logan's …….. 10k, the Revel Studio 2's would be at the upper end of what I would consider

Some additional info on room or equipment or at least are you a heavy metal thrasher or do you only listen to Gillian Welch?

Alan

room is 14'6" wide x 24' deep, 8' ceilings, carpeted, corners bass trapped (GIK and DIY)

Equipment -

source- SACD Cary 306
             Analog - VPI Aries III, Benz Micro Glider, phono - Fosgate

Pre -  ARC LS-27

Amp(s) - Plinius SA-102
               Rogue Audio M-180 Mono Blocks

music preference - Classic Rock, Jazz, Blues, some Classical and some Country

aldcoll

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2016, 09:11 pm »
Daedalus audio.  Talk to lou. Lou@daedalusaudio.com

He is here on AC. 

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2016, 10:05 pm »
Daedalus audio.  Talk to lou. Lou@daedalusaudio.com

He is here on AC.

Paul, I just got off the phone with him, nice guy and very beautiful looking speakers ! Now all I've got to do is figure out is how to listen to a pair, the Argos seem to be about right for my room.

aldcoll

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2016, 11:18 pm »
Paul, I just got off the phone with him, nice guy and very beautiful looking speakers ! Now all I've got to do is figure out is how to listen to a pair, the Argos seem to be about right for my room.

Did you ask Lou about any local  owners??.  You might go to the Daedalus group here on AC and post a inquires.

Alan

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:13 am »
Did you ask Lou about any local  owners??.  You might go to the Daedalus group here on AC and post a inquires.

Alan

Alan (sorry for addressing you as Paul) , I did and he was going to reach out to see if anyone was local to me (SE Pa) that he had sold to.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2016, 02:46 am by twitch54 »

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:44 am »
I've have owned Bryston Model T passives for 2 years. I don't think they are dull but accurate of source and upstream equipment. I'm guessing that I listen at spl above moderate. What I really like is the strong 8' x 12' phantom image between the speakers that seems to be projecting off the front wall and not from the speakers in my unconventional 4.1 stereo set up.

So I gots to ask you did you hear the Model T in a home, dealer or audio show? :smoke:

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:01 am »
I've have owned Bryston Model T passives for 2 years. I don't think they are dull but accurate of source and upstream equipment. I'm guessing that I listen at spl above moderate. What I really like is the strong 8' x 12' phantom image between the speakers that seems to be projecting off the front wall and not from the speakers in my unconventional 4.1 stereo set up.

So I gots to ask you did you hear the Model T in a home, dealer or audio show? :smoke:

I listened to them in a very well set up room (dealer), upstream components  were Mark Levinson, source Cd / SACD. IMO even the woodwork was not up to par, wood grain was far too open. regardless, if you're happy with yours that's all that matters !

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:07 am »
Scottdazzle here on AC is a Daedalus dealer in the Greater DC metro area if that's not too far to go.  I couldn't recommend anyone more highly than Scott, just PM him.  Their "house sound" is ultra smooth, but with dynamics.  I rather liked the smaller three way tower more than their flagship model, don't ask me the model numbers, I don't remember.  Beautiful furniture as well.

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:50 am »
Scottdazzle here on AC is a Daedalus dealer in the Greater DC metro area if that's not too far to go.  I couldn't recommend anyone more highly than Scott, just PM him. 

Thanks for the heads up ! ………  :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:24 am »
I listened to them in a very well set up room (dealer), upstream components  were Mark Levinson, source Cd / SACD. IMO even the woodwork was not up to par, wood grain was far too open. regardless, if you're happy with yours that's all that matters !

Consider this, if Dealer is selling competing brands then set up may not be optimal. They maybe trying to sell a brand that makes them more money by making other brand sound lousy, they have to pay the bills. I can tell you the dealers demo set up sounded like crap compared to mine. The only way you are going to know how it really sounds is in your own home.

For me how it sounds trumps furniture, there are furniture stores for that kind of luxury. :smoke:

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2016, 10:45 pm »
Consider this, if Dealer is selling competing brands then set up may not be optimal. They maybe trying to sell a brand that makes them more money by making other brand sound lousy, they have to pay the bills. I can tell you the dealers demo set up sounded like crap compared to mine. The only way you are going to know how it really sounds is in your own home.

For me how it sounds trumps furniture, there are furniture stores for that kind of luxury. :smoke:

Mag,
your Brystons do a lot of things very well (big dynamics, able to play loud and focused at the same time) yet at moderate listening levels they do not impress me ……….. simple as that. As for my dealer, he likes the Brystons very much as well, I have no concerns about any 'Tom Foolery' !

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2016, 06:55 pm »

Alan

Alan, Lou was very helpful in trying to find someone local to listen to the Daedalus line. Unfortunately nobody really close by. After additional listens to the Revel line I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Studio 2's .........

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2016, 09:12 pm »
pulled the trigger on the Studio 2's, up and running, smile on my face ! ....... :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2016, 04:24 pm »
Congratulations on your new speakers.

I'd enjoy reading your impressions of the Revel Studio 2 speakers, and what is was that attracted you to them.

I find myself spending a lot of time auditioning (and generally fantasizing about) new speakers, and one design (more or less) keeps grabbing my attention - 2 woofers on the bottom, a tweeter and a midwoofer above "TMWW" or even MTMWW. Until now, I've always had two-way standmount speakers with/without a subwoofer.

Thanks!

Michael

jriggy

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2016, 08:28 pm »
Aw! Missed opportunity... Being a Daedalus Argos owner, I had to say it. :wink: And with your gear, too! Maybe you can think about Daedalus again some day.

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2016, 06:55 pm »
Congratulations on your new speakers.

I'd enjoy reading your impressions of the Revel Studio 2 speakers, and what is was that attracted you to them.

I find myself spending a lot of time auditioning (and generally fantasizing about) new speakers, and one design (more or less) keeps grabbing my attention - 2 woofers on the bottom, a tweeter and a midwoofer above "TMWW" or even MTMWW. Until now, I've always had two-way standmount speakers with/without a subwoofer.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael, it's been over six weeks in my system now and the honeymoon continues !

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2016, 06:56 pm »
Aw! Missed opportunity... Being a Daedalus Argos owner, I had to say it. :wink: And with your gear, too! Maybe you can think about Daedalus again some day.

Never say never !