4A Alpha Panel - and near reflections

SteveRB

4A Alpha Panel - and near reflections
« on: 3 Feb 2016, 10:53 pm »
Hello,

My 2-channel listening set up requires that I am very close to the rear wall. I have tried absorbers and diffusors, but they are too close to the listening position, and I feel I can 'hear' them...

I recently noticed the new GIK 4A Alpha Panel: a high frequency absorber and 1D diffusor. Can anyone chime in if this is a something that could be used in close proximity to the listener?

Thanks

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/4a-alpha-panel-diffusor-acoustic-panel-bass-trap/

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Re: 4A Alpha Panel - and near reflections
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2016, 11:16 pm »
Hey Steve - you might get better results posting your request in the GIK Acoustics circle.

Not sure what you mean by you feel you can hear them?  My LP is 3' off the back wall and I have a GIK 244 on that wall.  Made a hell of a difference.  Actually you can see it in my avatar.

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm »
I mean that when I put an absorber behind my head, I can hear the high frequencies being sucked out.

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:14 am »
Hello Steve--

In the same situation, I've used RPG BAD panels. They make the wall disappear, and you don't get the feeling that some acoustic "thing" is near your head. They provide a fine-scale combination of absorption and diffusion. I highly recommend them. I used 4" thickness, to absorb some LF as well, but more commonly, people use 2" ones.

Google will find them.

Mike

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2016, 05:43 pm »
Hello Steve--

In the same situation, I've used RPG BAD panels. They make the wall disappear, and you don't get the feeling that some acoustic "thing" is near your head. They provide a fine-scale combination of absorption and diffusion. I highly recommend them. I used 4" thickness, to absorb some LF as well, but more commonly, people use 2" ones.

Google will find them.

Mike

Mike, Thanks, those panels look great. Looks like a decent DIY project as well.

dpatters

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:13 pm »
I would recommend contacting Glenn at GIK.  Great products, great advice.

Don P.