Windows 10 is coming for you!

GentleBender

Windows 10 is coming for you!
« on: 3 Feb 2016, 01:37 pm »
Just a heads up for all you Windows users happily clinging to your old way of life. I understand, why change things when it works.  8)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/02/windows-10-automatic-installs-for-windows-7-windows-8/#7ff70e8a75eb

WGH

Re: Windows 10 is coming for you!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:16 pm »
The upgrade is free only until July 29, 2016, so even though Windows 10 is now stable there are still a few driver issues so I'll be waiting until July.

The GWX Control Panel mentioned in the article works great.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

srb

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:36 pm »
Because I use Windows Media Center and a CableCARD TV tuner, unless J.River Media Center comes out with proposed CableCARD support that includes copy-protected decryption and a channel guide (hopefully Zap2It vs Rovi) before the July 19, 2016 Windows 10 free upgrade deadline, I suppose I will continue with Windows 7 on the HTPC computer even though Windows 7 Mainstream Support ended on January 13, 2015 and Extended Support will end on January 14, 2020.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2016, 06:13 pm »
I have W7 and I'm pretty damn scared of W10!  :lol:

I'll wait until July....until then my IE (v.9?) often doesn't work well but I can't download the new IE - though I mostly use FF.

Curse you MS!  :?

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2016, 07:43 pm »

I'll wait until July....until then my IE (v.9?) often doesn't work well but I can't download the new IE - though I mostly use FF.

Curse you MS!  :?
I currently use IE 11 on my Windows 7 Pro, I wonder why you have problems.  :scratch: As for me, I will turn off auto-updates and choose to manually update my Windows to prevent a hostile takeover on computers I intend to keep Win 7.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2016, 09:00 pm »
I did the back-up system music server (Windows 8.1) and then after the fact read that I have to re-install JRiver.  I try probably by this weekend.  If it goes well, then I'll do the main system music server (also 8.1) and then think about the Windows 7 Pro main PC.  I don't use much on the music servers, just JRiver and perhaps soon Room EQ Wizard (have it on the back-up music server and it did open - did not hook up the microphone though) and that's about it.  I use more on the main PC so I may proceed a little slower on that.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2016, 09:48 pm »
The GWX Control Panel mentioned in the article works great.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
+1   If I'm reading things correctly  :scratch: , the auto-upgrade will only occur if you have Updates set for 'auto'. I've set my Updates to 'notify', then I select which I want to download & install, going back to XP. I also avoid 'optional' updates as a rule. If it's hardware related I go to the mfg's site for the update.

Also, the GWX program restores the 'notify' setting operation in Updates, which the Free Win 10 doohickey disables.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2016, 10:03 pm »
I currently use IE 11 on my Windows 7 Pro, I wonder why you have problems.  :scratch: As for me, I will turn off auto-updates and choose to manually update my Windows to prevent a hostile takeover on computers I intend to keep Win 7.

Ah...just realized, normally I don't use this computer on the net. I do manually update this one too. However, I'm spending a few weeks in Europe - that's probably why I can't update it.

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm »

You should be.  I just bought a brand new Dell laptop with Win 10, and right out the box, it encountered (what turned out to be) driver issues with Wifi adapter and would not connect to internet among other strange, intermittent behavior.  Ethernet port would have helped to at least work on the problem with internet access, but it's one of those thin notebooks without ethernet port, so it took a while to figure out what the problem was and fix the issue utilizing another computer. 

My main audiophile server is staying with Win 8.1, thank you very much.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2016, 12:20 am »
Windows 10 will also attempt to update device drivers as part of automatic Windows Updates.  Disable device driver automatic updates by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings and select No to disable device driver automatic updates.

I had two problems related to this on my W10 laptop

(1) Display driver was auto-updated resulting in brightness level adjustment and sleep function being disabled

(2) Wi-Fi driver was auto-updated resulting in 5GHz band of dual-band Wi-Fi not being recognized

It's best to get updated drivers directly from the manufacturer, anyway.

Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2016, 12:19 pm »
Just a heads up for all you Windows users happily clinging to your old way of life. I understand, why change things when it works.  8)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/02/windows-10-automatic-installs-for-windows-7-windows-8/#7ff70e8a75eb

I'm using an ad blocker and it won't let me in.

I personally think Microsoft is crazy for doing this.  I took off of my computers all of the "update to windows 10" icons, yet they came back. 

I also use WMC and HD homerun to record all of my TV.  I refuse to update until something comes along that can replace that (using windows 7 now).  I do have Windows 10 on my small laptop, which originally came with windows 8.1.  I have to say that windows 8.1 is the most horrid operating system ever made.  I literally had no idea how to use it.  There are secret menus that pop out, and the like.  I immediately upgraded the laptop to Windows 10. 

I think Microsoft is thinking everyone is going to start buying these "run everywhere" apps.  When you hit the "start" button in Windows 10, there's a metro-like interface that pops up.  I think that's the push for Windows 10.  The problem is, on my laptop, I've never used this interface.  Also, I have a windows phone (made by Nokia), which I really like.  I even like the interface/OS better than iOS or Android.  However, there are basically no apps for the phone.  Everywhere I go, there's an iOS or Android app, but no windows app.  So, I think they're too late.  And forcing people to upgrade is ludicrous.  It's just going to irk people like me. 

And if this happens on our network at work, all heck will break loose. 

GentleBender

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2016, 01:22 pm »
I'm using an ad blocker and it won't let me in.

I personally think Microsoft is crazy for doing this.  I took off of my computers all of the "update to windows 10" icons, yet they came back. 

I also use WMC and HD homerun to record all of my TV.  I refuse to update until something comes along that can replace that (using windows 7 now).  I do have Windows 10 on my small laptop, which originally came with windows 8.1.  I have to say that windows 8.1 is the most horrid operating system ever made.  I literally had no idea how to use it.  There are secret menus that pop out, and the like.  I immediately upgraded the laptop to Windows 10. 

I think Microsoft is thinking everyone is going to start buying these "run everywhere" apps.  When you hit the "start" button in Windows 10, there's a metro-like interface that pops up.  I think that's the push for Windows 10.  The problem is, on my laptop, I've never used this interface.  Also, I have a windows phone (made by Nokia), which I really like.  I even like the interface/OS better than iOS or Android.  However, there are basically no apps for the phone.  Everywhere I go, there's an iOS or Android app, but no windows app.  So, I think they're too late.  And forcing people to upgrade is ludicrous.  It's just going to irk people like me. 

And if this happens on our network at work, all heck will break loose. 
Forbes wants your ad money!  :icon_lol: The only device I am running Windows 10 on is a Surface 2 Pro and that was to get away from both 8 and 8.1. So far it has been great, but I would hope so since they made both the software and chose the hardware.

I was a big fan of Windows mobile when smartphones were not popular yet. That was before the "walled garden" where you could install software on your phone from many places. It was the wild west times of smartphones and too complicated for most non-geeks to care about. It was when Microsoft delayed Windows mobile 7 seemingly forever that made me try Android. I think that is when Microsoft lost many phone customers. Along will many bad choices and companies purchased, they have finally created a decent phone OS that nobody seems to care about. I have liked a few of the Microsoft/Nokia phones, but I can't seriously entertain it without app support. It is a really tough market now.

andy_c

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2016, 01:49 am »
I took off of my computers all of the "update to windows 10" icons, yet they came back.

Here's how I got rid of it without it coming back in Windows 7.
  • In Control Panel, go to Windows Update.
  • In Windows Update, choose "change settings".
  • Choose the option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".
  • Using "Check for updates", update the computer (if needed).
  • Go back to Windows Update again if you've previously updated and rebooted.
  • In the lower left of the Windows Update window, click "Installed Updates".
  • After a short time, all the installed updates will be listed.
  • In the upper right corner, there is a box labeled "Search Installed Updates".
  • In this box, enter "kb3035583" without quotes. This will cause (only) the Windows 10 update to be listed.
  • Right-click this update, and choose "uninstall". After the uninstall, the computer will reboot.
  • After the reboot, go to Windows Update in Control Panel and choose "Check for Updates" again.
  • After a time, kb3035583 will be listed. You must hide it so it won't be installed again.
  • Right-click kb3035583 and choose "Hide Update". Now Windows Update will not try to install it again.

I've done this on three computers so far and it's working fine.

Edit: Changed the list above to specify that the Windows Update option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" should be chosen.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2016, 07:05 pm by andy_c »

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2016, 03:34 am »
Keep the great info coming.  I have JRiver re-installed and working on the back-up system music server.  I finally got around to downloading the Dayton Audio UMM-6 Calibration file (not figured out anything yet on Room EQ Wizard - that comes after I do the rest of the Windows 10 settings from the tips above).  At least for the music server, where I used limited software, so far it was an easy experience.  I still have the main system music server which should be similar.  After that, I'll decide whether I want to do the main system PC (Windows 7 Pro).  I have mixed feeling about that one.  More programs that I use and the PC is about 5 years old so by the time support goes away for Windows 7, I'll be getting a new PC anyway (not that there is anything wrong with it, it has plenty of RAM).

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:46 pm »
Here's how I got rid of it without it coming back in Windows 7.
  • In Control Panel, go to Windows Update.
  • In Windows Update, choose "change settings".
  • Choose the option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".
  • Using "Check for updates", update the computer (if needed).
  • Go back to Windows Update again if you've previously updated and rebooted.
  • In the lower left of the Windows Update window, click "Installed Updates".
  • After a short time, all the installed updates will be listed.
  • In the upper right corner, there is a box labeled "Search Installed Updates".
  • In this box, enter "kb3035583" without quotes. This will cause (only) the Windows 10 update to be listed.
  • Right-click this update, and choose "uninstall". After the uninstall, the computer will reboot.
  • After the reboot, go to Windows Update in Control Panel and choose "Check for Updates" again.
  • After a time, kb3035583 will be listed. You must hide it so it won't be installed again.
  • Right-click kb3035583 and choose "Hide Update". Now Windows Update will not try to install it again.

I've done this on three computers so far and it's working fine.

Edit: Changed the list above to specify that the Windows Update option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" should be chosen.

I did all of this...and they still came back. 

GentleBender

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:50 pm »
Maybe you could totally turn off automatic updates and then go through removing them again. Not sure if it will work or not since Microsoft is being very persistent.  :cuss: :cuss:

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:53 pm »
Forbes wants your ad money!  :icon_lol: The only device I am running Windows 10 on is a Surface 2 Pro and that was to get away from both 8 and 8.1. So far it has been great, but I would hope so since they made both the software and chose the hardware.

I was a big fan of Windows mobile when smartphones were not popular yet. That was before the "walled garden" where you could install software on your phone from many places. It was the wild west times of smartphones and too complicated for most non-geeks to care about. It was when Microsoft delayed Windows mobile 7 seemingly forever that made me try Android. I think that is when Microsoft lost many phone customers. Along will many bad choices and companies purchased, they have finally created a decent phone OS that nobody seems to care about. I have liked a few of the Microsoft/Nokia phones, but I can't seriously entertain it without app support. It is a really tough market now.

I like the Windows phone operating system a lot.  It makes the most sense to me, as compared to iOS or android.  I have basically everything I want on the main page and I don't have to search through a bunch of icons.  The functionality to have the "tiles" be active is also nice. 

The lack of app support, though, is killing it for me though.  I won't upgrade my phone for a while (I've taken to buying the phones outright, and they're all $600+, so I like to use them as long as I can), but when I do, I probably won't get another windows phone.

For me, I have a love/hate relationship with Microsoft.  I don't understand a lot of their products.  I personally think they got lucky and happened to be in the right place at the right time.  Otherwise, they seem to be a badly run company.  The mere fact they could put out windows 8 and that anyone thought this was a good idea shows you how bad they are. 

On the other hand, I believe Google is evil.  They have so much data on you, it's shocking.  But I also think Apple is evil.  All of these companies want to drive you to their ecosystem and want as much data on you as they can get.  (And this goes for Amazon, too -- another evil company.)  Unfortunately, if you want a smartphone, you have three choices now and likely will only have two in the future. 

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:57 pm »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2016, 08:40 pm »
Ever since I installed Windows 10 I keep getting these messages saying that I'm not connected to the internet.
Now I can't get online with whatever replaced IE (Microsoft Edge is what it is) so I'm using Chrome right now.
They've still got some bugs in this thing. 

srb

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2016, 09:22 pm »
Ever since I installed Windows 10 I keep getting these messages saying that I'm not connected to the internet.  Now I can't get online with whatever replaced IE (Microsoft Edge is what it is) so I'm using Chrome right now.

Was this an upgrade from a previous version?  Sometimes the DNS Client service will get disabled during an upgrade.  Chrome & Firefox will work fine but Microsoft Edge will have problems if it's not running.

Check to see that the service is not disabled.

1. Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager
2. Select the Services tab
3. Click the Open Services link at the bottom of the page
4. Scroll down to DNS Client and see if the service Status is "Running" or if the Startup Type is "Disabled"
5. If it is Disabled, right-click on the service and select Properties
6. Set the Startup Type to Automatic

Steve