Blew a Vintage Driver Need Help

brk36

Blew a Vintage Driver Need Help
« on: 1 Feb 2016, 04:58 am »
I mentioned before my primary system has 4 Fisher XP-18s for speakers; I love them, I think they sound great and have a very neutral vintage sound.

Of course maintenance is hard with vintage things and my woman, decided to blast some modern top 40 bullshit through these speakers blowing the 5.25 inch driver.  :nono:  :scratch:  :duh:  :evil:

Oh well, I still love her but I would also like to fix my speakers; issue is that I cannot find a replacement pair of 5.25 drivers for XP-18s anywhere.

If I cannot find the exact replacement is there a newly made 5.25 inch driver that will give me the right tone to blend in with the rest of my system? Is there some place I can throw up an add and say what I am looking for?  Thanks!

Benjamin

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Blew a Vintage Driver Need Help
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2016, 05:50 am »
Have plenty of details about what you are looking for, then hit the speaker repair shops to see if they may have something for you or a recommendation.

Start with Speaker Works Tulsa (.com), who is likely the largest and most experienced of his kind.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2016, 05:55 am »
There may be a manufacturer's code on the back of the magnet.  With luck, Fisher may have used the same driver in other models, some of which may be available on ebay. 
If not, you might send a working driver to someone like Danny Richie of GR-Research for evaluation.  You could then use the measurements to at least come close in finding a usable modern replacement until an original becomes available. They seem to have collector value, even with that big unbraced boomy box. I'd bet internal bracing would do wonders to tighten the bass.

brk36

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2016, 07:11 am »
There may be a manufacturer's code on the back of the magnet.  With luck, Fisher may have used the same driver in other models, some of which may be available on ebay. 
If not, you might send a working driver to someone like Danny Richie of GR-Research for evaluation.  You could then use the measurements to at least come close in finding a usable modern replacement until an original becomes available. They seem to have collector value, even with that big unbraced boomy box. I'd bet internal bracing would do wonders to tighten the bass.

Will the speaker still function once I remove the blown driver? Also, how would one go about internally bracing the box to tighten up the bass? I just checked the driver model and it was specifically for the XP-18 so I screwed there, other bad news, on closer inspection both drivers are blown. Lucky for me I have two pairs I guess, sigh, what a pain in the ass. Thanks for the advice guys

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2016, 12:25 pm »
Even replacing/repairing a vintage driver means it will probably never match what you had in terms of break-in, environmental exposure, etc. 

My speakers use drivers that have been modded and no longer produced, so live with the knowledge that when one dies, I'll be shopping for new speakers.

brk36

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2016, 06:35 pm »
Even replacing/repairing a vintage driver means it will probably never match what you had in terms of break-in, environmental exposure, etc. 

My speakers use drivers that have been modded and no longer produced, so live with the knowledge that when one dies, I'll be shopping for new speakers.

After spending some time looking around I have come to accept I am going to have to purchase modern replacements, now the issue is picking the right speaker. I talked to Crutchfield Audio and they did not have one speaker that could fill that gap in my system. I need a 5.25 inch driver, 8 ohms impedance, with a frequency range of 1500-3000 Hz; any suggestions? With a link would be preferable, thus far I have nil.

bentconvert

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2016, 07:11 pm »
You might try posting in the speaker forum at Audio Karma http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/speakers.27/
Lots of folks over there into vintage and someone may have what you are looking for.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2016, 08:43 pm »

I need a 5.25 inch driver, 8 ohms impedance, with a frequency range of 1500-3000 Hz; any suggestions? With a link would be preferable, thus far I have nil.
Unfortunately, to do it right, things aren't that easy.  That's why I suggested sending a working version to someone that can take measurements (Theil-Small parameters).  Making a speaker fit into an existing crossover is damn near impossible for a DIY guy and not easy for a pro. 
Of course, I prefaced by saying "to do it right".  If you just want sound, find a midrange driver with a sealed back and plug it in. Of course, you might insert a 85 db driver into a speaker that needs a 93 db one... in which you will never hear your midrange.  Or vice versa in which all you will hear is your midrange.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd plug in a mid, try to get it close and then sell it.  For the price that they are asking for those, you can get a far superior speaker of modern design.

brk36

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2016, 06:08 am »
Unfortunately, to do it right, things aren't that easy.  That's why I suggested sending a working version to someone that can take measurements (Theil-Small parameters).  Making a speaker fit into an existing crossover is damn near impossible for a DIY guy and not easy for a pro. 
Of course, I prefaced by saying "to do it right".  If you just want sound, find a midrange driver with a sealed back and plug it in. Of course, you might insert a 85 db driver into a speaker that needs a 93 db one... in which you will never hear your midrange.  Or vice versa in which all you will hear is your midrange.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd plug in a mid, try to get it close and then sell it.  For the price that they are asking for those, you can get a far superior speaker of modern design.

I have reached out to the people at GR-Research for some professional guidance and hopefully a solution, as soon as they are repaired I am going to sell both sets and buy something a little more modern.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2016, 11:41 am »
Contact Madisound and Parts Express.  Both sell lots of drivers.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2016, 12:04 pm »
Try Audio Pro in Watertown, MA. Vince has a ton of parts in his shop. He might have one.

Good luck.

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2016, 02:08 pm »
Hi,

I did a search on Enjoy the Music and they have an article about repairing vintage equipment.  They recommended 'Mike from Deltronics audio repair in Chicago'.  Unless you have some experience modifying crossovers it might be a difficult fix.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0215/Breathe_New_Life_Into_Old_Gear.htm

I hope this helps.

Cheers Rod

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2016, 04:37 pm »
I see many vintage speakers for sale on my local Craigslist. You might find another pair there? There are several search engines for the entire Craigslist system. Perhaps you can twist a  at distance owner into selling and shipping?

dflee

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2016, 06:11 pm »
So, if you do just plug in a mid and sell, would you disclose the issue?
And if you did would you expect same money as others?

brk36

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:34 am »
So, if you do just plug in a mid and sell, would you disclose the issue?
And if you did would you expect same money as others?

Yes, of course I would disclose the issue and no I wouldnt ask someone to pay the same amount for them as a pair with all original drivers