Recommendations for up-tempo instrumental jazz?

brj

« on: 25 Oct 2004, 06:42 pm »
Hello all!

I'm looking for some help with a gift idea... specifically, I'm looking for recommended up-tempo instrumental Jazz albums (Redbook CD).  The intended "target" isn't a huge fan of saxaphone, but even that isn't a hard requirement.  So... any suggestions?

Thanks!

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2004, 07:03 pm »
Anything more specific on taste?  Live vs. studio?  Fusion vs. "traditional"?

And is the gift for an audiophile? (ie is sound quality a big factor?)

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2004, 07:22 pm »
Based on your request I'm guessing your not a fan of the genre.   :rock:

Has the recipient ever mentioned anyone they do like.  Thay way we could provide recommendations of similar music.

In general some of the newer non traditional jazz might be the ticket.

Medeski, Martin & Wood
Bad Plus

You can listen to samples at Tower Records as well as other sites

brj

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2004, 08:56 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
Based on your request I'm guessing your not a fan of the genre.   :rock:

Personally, I like Jazz quite a bit and generally prefer instramental over vocal.  I simply haven't purchased much music over the past couple of years, however, and was looking for some new ideas (and that doesn't necessarily imply recent music, just new to me).  To be honest, I intend to pilfer the suggestion list for my own use as well... I expect a buying binge to ensue once I get my new system in place! :)

Quote from: R_burke
Has the recipient ever mentioned anyone they do like.  Thay way we could provide recommendations of similar music.

Quote from: PhilNYC
Anything more specific on taste? Live vs. studio? Fusion vs. "traditional"?

He isn't very strict or narrowly focused in his listening habits.  He simply knows what he likes.  Much of the time, he may not even know who the artist is even if he does enjoy the music.  (Of course, I'm the same way with much of what you hear on the radio these days.)  Live and studio are both fine, and I suspect that he would enjoy both traditional and fusion depending on his mood.

As a personality indicator, this is someone that will get up and leave the room if a movie plot slows down too much... so keeping the music lively and interesting is a plus.  That doesn't mean it needs to be a percussion fest or totally in your face... just keep the long mellow passages to a minimum!

And is the gift for an audiophile? (ie is sound quality a big factor?)

No, I can't say that he is a big audiophile, and to be honest, much of the listening will be done in a car (Bose) as he drives a great deal for work.  This was the reason I specified "up-tempo" in the request... didn't want any dozing at the wheel! :lol:   However, my afore-mentioned pilfering of the resulting suggestions will be at a more "audiophile" level! :)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2004, 09:10 pm »
Ok for fusion you can't go wrong with any of these

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Vital Information
Chick Corea Electric Band
Weather Report
CAB, CAB2, CAB4

I'll leave the traditional to others

Wasatch

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2004, 01:33 am »
I have some fusion stuff for sale in the For Sale section.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2004, 01:56 am »
Some recommendations:

Jimmy Smith - Root Down (live jam in a blues club)
Herbie Hancock - Man-Child (up tempo 70s psychodelic funk)
Weather Report - Black Market (fusion, a world-music feel with a raw jazz edge...some slow tracks, but the uptemp stuff jams)

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2004, 02:16 am »
I bought Hiromi - Another Mind, lately.  I'm very satisfied.

cjr888

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2004, 02:50 am »
I second Medeski, Martin and Wood as long as I'm not misreading what you're looking for.  You may also want to check out _some_ items by John Lurie.

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:01 am »
Quote from: cjr888
I second Medeski, Martin and Wood as long as I'm not misreading what you're looking for.

I've got a couple of MMW discs...my favorite is Friday Afternoon in the Universe.

If you want to go down the jam-band jazz line, I'd also take a look at Stanton Moore's All Kooked Out...

bixby

Cyrus Chestnut NT
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:06 am »
Try to sample a few Cyrus Chestnut cds on Amazon I think you would like.

cjr888

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:14 am »
Quote from: cjr888

If you want to go down the jam-band jazz line, I'd also take a look at Stanton Moore's All Kooked Out...

On second thought, I'd actually recommend that album even more so than MMW...

brj

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:45 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!  I'll have to see if I can do some investigating this weekend...

Keep them coming!

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:57 am »
If your buddy is an Audiophile you could get him Carl Saunders Sextet "Live in San Francisco"

This is a BluePort recording and amoung the most live sounding recorded.

The band set up like the picture below and when your system is set up properly "that" is exactly what you see sonically.

Look here: http://www.audiohigh.com/moreinfo/carlsaunders.html

http://www.audiohigh.com/lines/blueport.html

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2004, 04:47 am »
This post is from another thread in the Music Circle. As a gift...this 3 cd set would be excellent.....
jermmd

Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:49 pm    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a Jazz collection at Costco that seems to have a lot of artists mentioned in Beboplive's post. "The Very Best of the Jazz Giants" from Fantasy Inc. Special Products is a 3 CD set for $17.00. It might be worth a try if you just want to get your feet wet. That said, Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" is the highest rated CD in Zagats 100 greatest CD survey and should be in any serious jazz CD collection.  

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2004, 05:23 am »
The jazz collection idea seems like a good one to me: a good way to check out artists one might not know yet . Even if one already HAD all the tracks on their original sources, a compilation for the car would still be a good idea.

I recently got
a Pottery Barn comp called "Duets"
that's totally enjoyable. Jazz vocal duets by artists evryone would know, but interesting to have them combined this way.  There must be similar comps for more uptempo jazz.