Upgrading question

henrylr

Re: Upgrading question
« Reply #60 on: 18 Feb 2016, 07:32 pm »
Thanks for the info. Has anyone heard and have an opinion on the wryed4sound, belcanto....not the black series... and PS Audio amps?

henrylr

« Reply #61 on: 20 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm »
I was just thing about removing the faceplate from my Mccormack. It's about 1/8" thick and each end just sticks out in the wind and there are gaps between it and the chassis. Don't take this the wrong way...the Mccormack is the best sounding amp I'v ever owned but there are always tweaks. I've noticed that many Hi-End amps have very thick faceplates. Call me crazy but I'm just thinking about ways to lessen any vibrations. Any thoughts or names of good shrinks?

Nick B

« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb 2016, 12:33 am »
I was just thing about removing the faceplate from my Mccormack. It's about 1/8" thick and each end just sticks out in the wind and there are gaps between it and the chassis. Don't take this the wrong way...the Mccormack is the best sounding amp I'v ever owned but there are always tweaks. I've noticed that many Hi-End amps have very thick faceplates. Call me crazy but I'm just thinking about ways to lessen any vibrations. Any thoughts or names of good shrinks?

Steve McCormack and Kris Jeter prefer a thicker panel for vibration control. They can do a custom faceplate for you or you can design one yourself using software. There is one company  that some guys here use, but I can't recall the name.
Nick 

henrylr

« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb 2016, 02:11 am »
Thanks for the reply. I have a small machine shop and can easily make a faceplate. I have raw materials, from aluminum to zirconium, but thought just removing it might be good. Then I thought a thick plate would damp the thin sheet metal of the front of the case. Based on your response, including Steve's thought, I guess I know whats going on my milling machine next.

henrylr

« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2016, 03:35 am »
Can't remember if I submitted a post about my Adcom gfa 5400 sounding like it had a problem. I mentioned i took the cover off and found a loose nut on the left channel internal thread of the binding post. Well it is now cleaned with deoxit, then coated with deoxit gold and tightened. It sounds like a new amp.

henrylr

« Reply #65 on: 5 Mar 2016, 09:19 pm »
I've read a number of posts on various sites were people have recommended damping heatsinks as well as the chassis.

Initially I was think of putting something on the bottom of the fins since heat rises. Now I'm thinking of putting something along the outer edges of the fins so airflow is not impeded. Maybe a strip of some type of rubber, on each side, running from the first to last fin and held against the outer edges of the fins with two sided tape.

Regarding chassis damping, I have a gut feeling that is what the spike on the bottom of mccormack amps is for. Just a guess. Maybe Steve Mccormack will kindly shed some light or recommendations.

Thanks,
henrylr

I punched out some 1/8th" thick by 1" diameter epdm rubber discs, folded them and put the between each heatsink fin. They are in the center vertically and right at the outer edge. Before the damping, when I ran my finger along the fins they rang. With the rubber they are dead quiet. Anyone think that is good or bad? Also the heatsinks don't feel any hotter.

henrylr

« Reply #66 on: 8 Mar 2016, 09:25 pm »
I've replaced the EPDM with Sorbothane and it does a better job. I'm considering putting Sorbothane between the faceplate and front of the chassis. Does anyone think this is a plus? If so, would some strips or discs, not to far apart, be comparable to a sheet completely covering the front of the chassis?

Thanks,
henrylr